302 Block oiling

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

frnkeore
Expert
Expert

302 Block oiling

Post by frnkeore »

I'm building a high rpm (basic 8000 rpm), 302 with a solid roller cam. I'm a old school Ford guy (75 yrs old) in the 60's and 70's, 289/302 engines, were build with oil restricters, to the cam bearing and the lifter galleys but, I don't hear it mentioned in most of the builds I read about today.

Unless there is some reason not to, I'm going to put .090 in the cam passages (including #1) and .150, coming from the main feed, to feed both the lifter passages.

My only concern, with doing that, is having enough oil to cool the springs. They are Manley 1.53 dia/ 625 lb.

It's a dry sump system and the oil is plumbed in at the oil pressure boss (changed to 3/8 pipe), using a -10 fitting.

What do you think?
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Re: 302 Block oiling

Post by Walter R. Malik »

frnkeore wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:46 pm I'm building a high rpm (basic 8000 rpm), 302 with a solid roller cam. I'm a old school Ford guy (75 yrs old) in the 60's and 70's, 289/302 engines, were build with oil restricters, to the cam bearing and the lifter galleys but, I don't hear it mentioned in most of the builds I read about today.

Unless there is some reason not to, I'm going to put .090 in the cam passages (including #1) and .150, coming from the main feed, to feed both the lifter passages.

My only concern, with doing that, is having enough oil to cool the springs. They are Manley 1.53 dia/ 625 lb.

It's a dry sump system and the oil is plumbed in at the oil pressure boss (changed to 3/8 pipe), using a -10 fitting.

What do you think?
Restricting the lifter galleries is a good idea if the lifters are not hydraulic.
Just drop a cut off 2" long section of an old 11/32" valve stem in the rear hole to the main gallery.

No need to restrict the cam bearings in my opinion but, a lot of people do it.

Machining a matching oil hole in the middle 3 upper main bearings, (the bearing only has a slot now), to the oil gallery delivery locations does the best job for getting the oil where it needs to go.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
BLstangin
Re: 302 Block oiling

Post by BLstangin »

I have a pump gas 302 that makes 490hp at 7600 that I street drive, it has been together for 10 years and if i start it, I'm gonna find the 8,000rpm limiter every time. I didn't do anything special with the oil system other than a melling hv pump and a deep sump pan. It makes 65psi of oil pressure hot cruising down the road with 12" of crankcase vacuum. I personally don't believe a windsor based sbf really needs any oiling mods to live. If you really want to restrict the cam bearings its pretty easy for 2-4. What we do on a cleveland is just drill a new oil hole in the bearing 180 degrees from the original one in whatever size you want. I believe we did .060. Then drive the bearing in so the oil feed lines up with the new hole and the original one will be at the top and cause zero issues. On the front main we used to plug the diagonal hole drilled into the #1 main and then drill out the vertical galley that goes up to the cam to match the same size as the mains on 2-4, but only drill it to the horizontal oil galley. Then you tap the vertical galley going to the #1 cam bearing and put a set screw in there with a .060 hole to restrict the front bearing as it has the slot in it and can't be turned 180 degrees. I never restrict the lifters as I believe it helps keep the springs and rockers cool.
70 mustang coupe restored with the help of my Dad and LOTS of friends. 306 490hp/398ft lbs t56 magnum 5.00 gear
1986 F150 standard cab short bed build in progress!