installing mallory super comp 9000 distributor?.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

chevy art
Pro
Pro
installing mallory super comp 9000 distributor?.

Post by chevy art »

is there any specific procedure as to installing on of these unilite distributors that has (i think) windows in the rotor that pass through the photo cell in distributor. i have always just dropped the dist. in with the rotor pointing towards number on rotor cap and just turned it when starting till i got it toi run and then power timed it to its correct setting. is there a better or more precise way to do this. thanks art in NY
Tuner
Guru
Guru
Re: installing mallory super comp 9000 distributor?.

Post by Tuner »

The Unilite photocell system acts just like a set of points, either open or closed, on or off, so with a test light or volt meter you can connect to the - coil terminal and rotate the distributor housing to locate the exact position the ignition fires when the "points open" by observing the negative coil terminal voltage change from low to high.

To use the volt meter, connect black to ground, red to coil negative terminal. To use a test light connect it to a 12 V source and the coil negative. With "points closed" = coil grounded, low voltage or light on. When "points open" (spark fires) the coil negative terminal will be near battery voltage, when points open = high voltage or light off.

With the last motion of the crankshaft in normal rotation (to account for timing chain slack), set the crankshaft at the desired timing BTDC on # 1 cylinder, install the distributor with rotor aligned with # 1 terminal in the cap, rotate the distributor housing back and forth to observe the coil voltage swing high and low or test light go on and off.

When rotating the distributor housing opposite direction of running engine distributor shaft rotation and the voltage goes high or light goes off, tighten the hold down clamp, that is the trigger point. Double-check that # 1 wire cap terminal is still aligned with the rotor blade and check timing with a timing light.