General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

CamKing
Guru
Guru

Re: Ls headed 4cyl

Post by CamKing »

BlitzA64 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:17 am
I imagine our friend here mike Jones could come up with something.
Mike did one cam for my SC1 head engine, it was bad fast but we couldn't find any cam cores. Found a cam to regrind from Brayton and it died right away. Hardness was too shallow and the roller started eating into it. Maybe with his new tool steel billet deal he could get something done. I tried to have some cores made but the best I could do was 12 minimum at the time and I bulked at that proposition
The issue is getting the gears hobbed on the cam cores. No one wants to even bother with 1-10 pieces. If you go with a crank trigger, and don't need the gears, we can make a small run.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
Racer71
Pro
Pro

Post by Racer71 »

There was one Honda at chili bowl that ran really well but the motor kicked the bucket in the A feature on his prelim night not sure who the builder was on I know 4 piston was doing some as well as Stewart engines for the hpd program but I don’t think it ever caught on.
BlitzA64
Expert
Expert

Post by BlitzA64 »

The issue is getting the gears hobbed on the cam cores. No one wants to even bother with 1-10 pieces. If you go with a crank trigger, and don't need the gears, we can make a small run.
I was running crank trigger, if I ever decide to put the 3 I have together I may be in touch. Changed classes and they are just sitting right now
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

BlitzA64 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:55 pm I called Steve at the time, I couldn't get a call back so gave up. I would have paid up for a good cam, had a deal going with another engine builder and he was working with Gaerte to try to get some volume and the pricing better but Gaerte bailed out was what I was told. Gaerte was working with Brodix as well to get blocks made but again that died. I think finances were a problem
That's the problem with LSM. A friend went to them because they were the only ones who would hob a gear. They were not the best communicating, but do good work. I think they have some big OEM contracts, so one-off stuff is "whenever we can fit you in" which could be a LOOONNGG time.

If the rules allowed a crank trigger, it would have been a lot easier and cheaper.
-Bob
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

If our tool steel cam cores take off, we will buy the tooling to CNC the gears on the cores. Until then, I can't justify the cost, because the OEM we make cores for doesn't have gears on their cams.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

CamKing wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:18 pm If our tool steel cam cores take off, we will buy the tooling to CNC the gears on the cores. Until then, I can't justify the cost, because the OEM we make cores for doesn't have gears on their cams.
The only thing I can think of off the cam would be the oil pump, and even then that seems to be going away (for good reason).
-Bob
BlitzA64
Expert
Expert

Post by BlitzA64 »

My modified class stuff is dry sump /crank trigger so no gears needed. I have also ran a poor man crank trigger. Belt drive distributor off of the crank
Racer71
Pro
Pro

Post by Racer71 »

My question was answered recently on another message board I frequent. A outfit called deppeengineering is offering billet blocks that can utilize ls type head. Looks like they’re in my area as they show a 317 area code
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

Youll want an LSR head to avoid getting waxed heavily