run-in AFR

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

bentvalves
Expert
Expert
run-in AFR

Post by bentvalves »

to those who frequently run engines in on the dyno with a wideband o2 sensor in the exhaust, how rich would you say is bore wash territory?

I have a number in mind, but i'm not sure If i'm being overly cautious (anything richer than low 13's with no load on the engine should be shut down)

am I far off here?
Tuner
Guru
Guru
Re: run-in AFR

Post by Tuner »

If you are worrying about fuel washing lubrication off the cylinder walls put some 2-stroke TC-W in the fuel.
mt-engines
Expert
Expert

Post by mt-engines »

bentvalves wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:59 pm to those who frequently run engines in on the dyno with a wideband o2 sensor in the exhaust, how rich would you say is bore wash territory?

I have a number in mind, but i'm not sure If i'm being overly cautious (anything richer than low 13's with no load on the engine should be shut down)

am I far off here?
Any number is kind of arbitrary. What fuel are we talking about? Ambient temperature? Compression ratio? Are we talking idling, 4000rpm? You could have an engine with a 295@.050 Cam be lean at 13:1 and barely run in that idle to 4000 rpm.

Like tuner said, if you think you're washing cylinders, add some 2 stroke TCW.
BobbyB
Pro
Pro

Post by BobbyB »

mt-engines wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:06 am
bentvalves wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:59 pm to those who frequently run engines in on the dyno with a wideband o2 sensor in the exhaust, how rich would you say is bore wash territory?

am I far off here?
Any number is kind of arbitrary. What fuel are we talking about? Ambient temperature? Compression ratio? Are we talking idling, 4000rpm? You could have an engine with a 295@.050 Cam be lean at 13:1 and barely run in that idle to 4000 rpm.

Like tuner said, if you think you're washing cylinders, add some 2 stroke TCW.
How much 2 stroke TCW would you add per gallon of gas?
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

I would be looking into how unnecessarily smooth the port wall finish is in the Intake ports along with the shape at the upper back of the valve bowl and only use the 2 cycle oil as a temporary crutch.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
BILL-C
Expert
Expert

Post by BILL-C »

12.0 is about the limit for us. Plenty of ignition timing is required to keep egt's down also.
Carlquist Competition Engines
bentvalves
Expert
Expert

Post by bentvalves »

speedtalk really needs a "like" button in other peoples posts that one can click.

the icon could appear as a trophy, a thumbs up, a fistbump, or a checkmark icon.
bentvalves
Expert
Expert

Post by bentvalves »

thanks to all who posted in this thread. ALL SUPER HELPFUL.

however, one post really hit the nail directly on the head.

best,

bent

edit: there was a close second as well.
bentvalves
Expert
Expert

Post by bentvalves »

A trophy icon for very helpful input would be best I reckon.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

bentvalves wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:44 pm A trophy icon for very helpful input would be best I reckon.
Like the thumbs up/down symbol in the top right corner of a post? :)
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
Orr89rocz
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Orr89rocz »

Thats whats nice about efi and wideband control. Once it fires up on the base map, it ends up correcting to target air fuel

On systems that dont have that ability, on a new motor, if its in the mid 13’s or leaner on gas, i feel ok. If its richer or way lean over 14.7, i stop and adjust fuel