Water injection on carb application

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

cv67
Guru
Guru

Water injection on carb application

Post by cv67 »

Anyone running this, say plumbed through a spacer?

How did it work for you? Yrs ago I had one installed on a 90 ZR-1 came on at roughly 3/4 throttle and honestly helped. SOTP and stopped pinging

Regret selling the system-
Any thoughts on this, particular sysem you liked, proper setup?

If anything Id think it may cool the intake charge a hair
shoedoos
Expert
Expert

Re: Water injection on carb application

Post by shoedoos »

GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

From the few published tests over the years it seem to be 0 gain or some power lose unless you are trying to run a higher compression then the fuel will support but I have never seen anyone prove it worth the cost accept to keep you pistons clean.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

A Snow Performance water injection kit definitely worked on a 455 Pontiac, 11.3:1 CR, pump gas. It stopped the pinging. Just water, no alcohol used.
The intake was a dual plane. We drilled and tapped the side of each plenum for a nozzle.
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

About 15 years ago a Snow Performance variable flow on a modified N/A GMC 302 inline 6 with too much cylinder pressure for pump gas..I used plain water, water/methanol and water denatured alcohol...Water /alcohol injection was about 10 % of fuel flow. The result were mixed ,most likely needed more tuning on the fuel flow when the injection was activated and where it was being injected...It seemed enough injection to control detonation also reduced powe a bit.
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
dannobee
Expert
Expert

Post by dannobee »

We did some dyno tests years ago on a water injection system at various flow rates for a customer who thought he found the holy grail. Bottom line was that the engine made the most power when the system was off. At every flow rate the hp dropped. Pistons and chambers were clean though!

If it's a boosted engine and you're mixing water with alcohol, it might make more power via cooling down the intake air, but I doubt any better than the best intercooler setups out there. If you want to get the intake air cool, and by cool I mean friggen COLD, use an air to water intercooler and an ice box filled with isopropyl alcohol and dry ice and a pump that'll handle the cold liquid without breaking or freezing up. You can easily achieve IAT's below freezing.
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

Dry ice might not work out too well on a street vehicle... :D
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire