I think we should take a good look at the 445 Thunderjet

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

MichaelThompson
I think we should take a good look at the 445 Thunderjet

Post by MichaelThompson »

Hey gang, I think the new 445 cubic inch pushrod from Ford deserves a good hard look. I’m mostly a vintage hot rod guy so something like this appeals to me in that it appears to have virtually everything a good powerful and sporty street/strip engine is usually built to possess.

On the other hand this engine seems to have far greater potential than just a torquey street engine.

I’d love to hear what you guys see in this.

Steve.k
Guru
Guru
Re: I think we should take a good look at the 445 Thunderjet

Post by Steve.k »

Very impressive engine to say the least.
Sparksalot

Post by Sparksalot »

For a long ahead that's going to be an expensive choice for rod/road horsepower compared to other options.

It looks to have leapt from birth on computer screens with super computer power analysis behind every design decision. Not a bad thing for a heavy duty truck engine or any other for that matter. The exterior of the block reveals how much finite element analysis underlies the design which is obviously optimized for its intended duty.

The barely anything angle of valve cant is other evidence of optimization for the job at hand for the designers.

At the hands of us who knows what will result.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Just like all past engine designs to the present Coyote vs the LS.. the market will decide which power plant goes down in history vs which one just goes down.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
MichaelThompson

It’s completely unusual that a commercial/truck engine should receive attention from the speed merchants.

As such I believe there is more planned for this engine than meets the eye.

ProCharger is already working on blower kits for this engine.

The fact that Brian Wolfe himself is involved bodes well for the prospects of fun with this new power plant.

I think it’s pretty impressive as I stated before. If Ford built a shorter deck version in Cleveland Ohio at 351 cubes for performance cars they would absolutely boggle peoples minds.
rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Post by rebelyell »

Any thoughts why Ford chose port injection over direct for this clean-sheet design ?
Roundybout
Pro
Pro

Post by Roundybout »

rebelyell wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:13 pm Any thoughts why Ford chose port injection over direct for this clean-sheet design ?
I would think the benefits of DI were heavily weighed for mileage and emissions advantages alone, especially for a truck engine. I have a feeling budget constraints also figured into the design. The position of the injector certainly is interesting though. Looks to be as close to the back of the valve as possible. Also keeps the dreaded carbon buildup at bay.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Ah yes, carbon! With no fuel to keep the intake valves clean, DI engines are proving very prone to deposit build up. A number of engines have reintroduced port injectors but kept the DI as well, #-o but perhaps this application doesn't benefit enough from DI's advantages to merit the cost increase for dual systems.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Post by frnkeore »

I like the engine, though I think it should have had a aluminum block, too.

The heads, kind of remind me of the late '60's, Gurney/Westlake, 2V heads (nothing new, under the sun :) )

I wonder what will now happen to the 6.2 "Cammer"
motormonkey

Post by motormonkey »

Looks good from what can be seen design wise.Not impressed with the dyno results tho for a cam swap and intake at that cid. The heads looked like they were touched also so it kinda makes me more sceptical.
Rumor is GM has another 8 liter gasser coming out and would like to see what that is also.
A_VAS
Pro
Pro

Post by A_VAS »

it appears us LS guys can quickly figure out how to work on it...looks to be a great platform for power
too lazy to make power w/o boost
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

Hopefully, this lights a fire under GM; so that GM produces a competitive pushrod "big block" engine of world-class design and execution.

Preferably with greater bore spacing than the FE-like Ford. The Ford 7.3 gas engine seems...restricted...in that area; but I can't find bore/stroke info.
Jeff Lee
Pro
Pro

Post by Jeff Lee »

Schurkey wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:07 pm Hopefully, this lights a fire under GM; so that GM produces a competitive pushrod "big block" engine of world-class design and execution.

Preferably with greater bore spacing than the FE-like Ford. The Ford 7.3 gas engine seems...restricted...in that area; but I can't find bore/stroke info.
4.220” x 3.976”
NHRA SS/G
1970 AMC AMX - 390 4-speed
Advanced Clutches - Red Line Racing Cams
MichaelThompson

Roundybout
Pro
Pro

Post by Roundybout »

That saw cut between the cylinders for cooling, how far does that go down the bore? I’d imagine that can’t be too good to maintain a round bore and ring seal with added cylinder pressure. Wouldn’t it also limit the bore size you could attain?