Moroso oil accumulator/preluber questions

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Bob Hollinshead
Guru
Guru
Moroso oil accumulator/preluber questions

Post by Bob Hollinshead »

I picked up a used moroso oil accumulator-I've never used one before.... Do these have a bladder in them and how much air pressure should be in it? Can I plumb it in on the front oil port on a big block chev or is it better to use the rear port above the filter or use a filter sandwich adapter? What's the procedure for using it as a pre-luber? It has a manual 1/4 turn valve on it
Pro question poster.
zums
Guru
Guru

Re: Moroso oil accumulator/preluber questions

Post by zums »

The "Mecca", accusumps are piston style , you can pressurize them to 10lbs before you start your engine, i plumb them in the front of Bowtie SBCs with no problems, manual valves are more work, you would open the valve before you start your engine, and close them before you shut the engine down to trap the charge before next start up, invest in the electric valve and you can do it all by a switch or ign key.
Tom
tenxal
Expert
Expert

Post by tenxal »

Why not just download the instructions?
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
dannobee
Expert
Expert

Post by dannobee »

If you picked it up used, you'll need to pull it apart and clean everything, including the valve. Replacing any hoses going to it is also a good idea, since bearing trash embeds itself into the hoses.

I think there's an o-ring kit available for the piston from Moroso too.
1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

If you have the mounting bands/ clamps make sure they or mounted at the top and bottom of the cylinder and not the body it’s in the instructions.
Bob Hollinshead
Guru
Guru

This is the style I have: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor- ... gJn9PD_BwE

it doesn't look to be available any longer and I don't see how it could be disassembled. I'm guessing it must have a bladder in it?
Pro question poster.
dannobee
Expert
Expert

Post by dannobee »

Never used that style because of the vertical mounting. Also, the capacity of the 3qt one seemed better. Probably why they're discontinued and the piston style is listed as the substitute.

We used the piston style extensively in lower division circle track engines where dry sump wasn't legal. We would also lower the oil level by a quart, hoping to get less windage (3 qt capacity less the 1 qt = net +2 qt over pan capacity).

Operating them in a race car is easy because they were usually mounted on the trans tunnel area. Driver in and ready to go, turn the ball valve on and watch for oil pressure, then light the engine off as normal. Before shutting down, close the ball valve, then turn off ignition. Often thought about adding a solenoid and wiring, but more failure points. Training the driver seemed easier.

With a street car, you could remote mount one and use the solenoid to open the flow. Turn on ignition without starting, and like a glow plug equipped diesel, wait for the warning light to go out.
1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

Here are the instructions
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
allencr267
Pro
Pro

Post by allencr267 »

Notes: Light-duty, gravity feed, must be vertically mounted

The note from Summit's Moroso 23930 page says to me it doesn't have a piston or diaphragm or bladder, i'ts just a vertical tube compressing trapped air.
Bob Hollinshead
Guru
Guru

Yup this looks like just a tank with no bladder, I tried charging it with air and it just blows out the valve. If it's closed while the oil pressure is up I would imagine it would work to some degree as a pre-lube but as a gravity discharge accumulator I bet the benefits aren't that great?
Pro question poster.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Bob Hollinshead wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:34 pm Yup this looks like just a tank with no bladder, I tried charging it with air and it just blows out the valve. If it's closed while the oil pressure is up I would imagine it would work to some degree as a pre-lube but as a gravity discharge accumulator I bet the benefits aren't that great?
One "benefit" is that your lubricant will be in intimate contact with a higher than normal pressure gas atmosphere thereby allowing it to be saturated with air that will evolve out when released from bearings in one bar ambient. This will generate foam. Whether or not this "benefit" will adversely affect your engine will be highly variable depending on the conditions of operation of the vehicle.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
curtis reed

Post by curtis reed »

Bob Hollinshead wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:08 am
This is the style I have: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor- ... gJn9PD_BwE

it doesn't look to be available any longer and I don't see how it could be disassembled. I'm guessing it must have a bladder in it?
I had one similar to that one that I gave to a friend but it had a floating ball in it so if all the oil pumped out of the accumulator it wouldn't lose the air charge or pump air into the system. For the life of me I can't remember the name. It was black with yellow lettering I believe.

I use the heavy duty 3qt Moroso version now with an electric valve.

Curtis
stealth
Guru
Guru

Post by stealth »

The one you have there is just a tank...nothing inside at all.