Does fuel movement in bowls during acceleration impact AFR?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Stan Weiss
Vendor

Re: Does fuel movement in bowls during acceleration impact AFR?

Post by Stan Weiss »

BigBlockMopar wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:49 pm Perhaps unrelated because Carter/Edelbrock carb aren't considered 'racing' carbs, but the long rammed engine in my '60 Chrysler loses power and occassionaly starts to run very rough during 'sporty' cornering. It's my believe one side of the engine goes rich while the other side goes lean.
The carbs are placed sideways on the long ram intakes, so different from their normal orientation.
One thing to remember is the difference in the direction the jet is mounted in the carb and its fuel opening between a Holley and a Carter / Edelbrock. One is vertical and the other is horizontal.

Stan
Stan Weiss/World Wide Enterprises
Offering Performance Software Since 1987
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/carfor.htm
David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

Mikej26 wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:46 pm Even if the jets remain covered and regardless of what is happening with the float and needle and seats, wouldn’t the relative increase in fuel level at the front metering block and the decrease in the fuel level at the rear metering block directly affect the emulsion circuit. As well as provide a increase in fuel pressure on the primary jets and a decrease on the secondary jets due to inertia?
This is a more articulate way of asking my original question, thanks.
Stan Weiss
Vendor

Post by Stan Weiss »

Mikej26 wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:46 pm Even if the jets remain covered and regardless of what is happening with the float and needle and seats, wouldn’t the relative increase in fuel level at the front metering block and the decrease in the fuel level at the rear metering block directly affect the emulsion circuit. As well as provide a increase in fuel pressure on the primary jets and a decrease on the secondary jets due to inertia?
I would think that the G forces from acceleration / deceleration would have more impact that a small change in fuel column height.

Stan
Stan Weiss/World Wide Enterprises
Offering Performance Software Since 1987
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/carfor.htm
David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
Mikej26

Post by Mikej26 »

Stan Weiss wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:40 am
I would think that the G forces from acceleration / deceleration would have more impact that a small change in fuel column height.

Stan
I agree with that. Just trying to wrap my head around all of the variables. After thinking about it’s bit more, while the g forces certainly have an impact, wouldn’t the carb be somewhat self correcting in the sense that the affects at the primary and secondary sides are equal opposites?

So sure on acceleration you’re forcing more fuel through a given jet size on the primary side than you would on a stationary level dyno, but you’re equally reducing the affect at the secondary side so it seems to me like the net effect might be somewhat mute. Same with deceleration.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

The inertial force is manifested in the change of fuel level, so there would be no additional effect on the fuel flow, but yes, the front barrels should richen by the same % as the rears lean, prompting some AFR maldistribution, but probably less than what happens with the mixture in the plenum.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
oldjohnno
Pro
Pro

Post by oldjohnno »

I've always been a bit sceptical about the effect of small changes in fuel level having an influence on AF ratios. When you consider that it's not unusual to have a signal of 20" H2O at WOT at the booster - and a similar drop across the main jet - then it's hard to imagine a difference of say 1/2" in fuel level having much effect on flow. Remember also that flow through the jet will be in proportion to the square of the pressure drop across the jet, so it takes quite a large change in the pressure gradient across the jet to make much difference in flow, certainly more than what's possible from a float bowl that only 1-1/2" tall. Of course all this presumes that the jet is always well covered.
Perfectionism is the enemy of actually getting shit done.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Here's one piece of data re same, more can be Googled:
https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/ ... at-afr.jpg

BTW, I think you mean't to write that flow varies with the square root of pressure.

Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

And then there is the emulsion tube holes that might get uncovered/covered by fuel slosh...& how it affects the fuel curve.
oldjohnno
Pro
Pro

Post by oldjohnno »

MadBill wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:09 pm
BTW, I think you mean't to write that flow varies with the square root of pressure.
Yes, thanks Bill. Or in other words it takes four times the pressure to double the flow, so a relatively small change in the pressure drop across the jet - as you'd get from a change in the fuel level in a float bowl - will result in an extremely small change in flow through the jet.
Perfectionism is the enemy of actually getting shit done.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Well, at least this inspired some rereading and I saw one of my favorite quotes again.
MadBill wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:10 am If you did that, it would only suck air from the fuel bowl and no fuel from the tank, just like if there's a hole in your straw you get air instead of milkshake.
https://www.semasan.com/breaking-news-archives?utm_campaign=DrivingForce_DF272&utm_content=SeeAllLeg
Rick!
Expert
Expert

Post by Rick! »

MadBill wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:09 pm Here's one piece of data re same, more can be Googled:
https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/ ... at-afr.jpg

That AFR graph looks bassackwards. The higher fuel level should be richer everywhere. At least that's the way it worked when I ran a chassis dyno back in the '80s. I'm pretty sure I couldn't get an engine to run right with a 1/2" low fuel level. The whole working principle of a carb is its sensitivity to very small delta P, is it not?
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

Yup.

I used to mess with a carburetor for which jets were not readily available. I tuned it strictly by messing with fuel pressure, which altered the fuel level in the bowl. Fortunately I was trying to go leaner, not richer.

This was not just a WOT effect, either, it was an across the board tuning change. I was able to get the plugs to stay clean and increase fuel economy by 25% just by dropping fuel pressure from 4psi to around 1.5. Quarter mile times also dropped by a little over a second, from 17 seconds to high 15s.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Kevin Johnson wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:57 am Well, at least this inspired some rereading and I saw one of my favorite quotes again.
MadBill wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:10 am If you did that, it would only suck air from the fuel bowl and no fuel from the tank, just like if there's a hole in your straw you get air instead of milkshake.
Oooh, got the Wayback machine cranked to eleven this time Kevin! :D

Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Rick! wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:29 am That AFR graph looks bassackwards. The higher fuel level should be richer everywhere. At least that's the way it worked when I ran a chassis dyno back in the '80s.
I think with the Autolite 2100 carb the wet setting is from the top machined surface down to the surface of the fuel in the bowl -- so a greater distance denotes a lower level of fuel in the bowl and the AFR would be higher ceteris paribus.
Float AFR.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
https://www.semasan.com/breaking-news-archives?utm_campaign=DrivingForce_DF272&utm_content=SeeAllLeg