Engine Masters

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass
Re: Engine Masters

Post by Kevin Johnson »

NormS wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:21 am Even though HotRod has pulled out of being involved in future Engine Masters competitions, it's nice to see that J&E, Amsoil, and SuperFlow are going to continue the program under the new name, Masters of Motors. I was sad to hear last fall, that the series had been cancelled for future years. I'm glad that these major sponsors are picking up the ball, and running with it.
https://www.facebook.com/mastersofmotors/

https://www.jepistons.com/blog/je-pisto ... ompetition
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Last edited by Kevin Johnson on Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
Stan Weiss
Vendor

Post by Stan Weiss »

GLHS60 wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:57 pm Dumb or not there is still no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

The dictionary is a compilation of words with all inclusive meanings.

All the motor car companys list Engine specs, never motor, unless electric.

Obviously they are not dictionary smart either??

All list Crate Engines, not crate motors like the dictionary believers.

Even a google search for crate motor brings up Crate Engines.

With the advent of electric and hybrid vehicles there is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

There are many excuses and justifications but no logical reasons.

With vehicles having many motors and 1 Engine there is no logical reason to call them all motors.

My opinion is based on the fact the motor car manufactures call their Engines---Engines.

Even motorcycle companys call their Engines---Engines, unless electric.

Even outboard companys call their Engines---Engines. unless electric.

If anyone could justify calling an Engine a motor it would be Ford Motor Company!!

They don't, there is no logical reason.

Thanks
Randy

CamKing wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:52 am
GLHS60 wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:11 am I agree, you won't find me quoting from the dictionary, I can form my own opinions.
With all due respect, that's one of the dumbest comments I've read, in a long while.

The Dictionary is the authoritative source for the meaning of words.
Your opinion is not. It's just an opinion.
No college professor will accept your opinion as fact. No first grade teach will accept your opinion as fact.
If a cop clocks you going 20mph over the speed limit, but your opinion is that you were going the speed limit, how will that hold up in court?

Like I said before, all engines are motors, like all Blue Jays are birds.
"Engine" is a more definitive term, but "motor" is also correct.
So in your opinion, your opinion is the only opinion that counts. :lol:

Stan
Stan Weiss/World Wide Enterprises
Offering Performance Software Since 1987
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/carfor.htm
David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
digger
Guru
Guru

Post by digger »

GLHS60 wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:57 pm Dumb or not there is still no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

The dictionary is a compilation of words with all inclusive meanings.

All the motor car companys list Engine specs, never motor, unless electric.

Obviously they are not dictionary smart either??

All list Crate Engines, not crate motors like the dictionary believers.

Even a google search for crate motor brings up Crate Engines.

With the advent of electric and hybrid vehicles there is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

There are many excuses and justifications but no logical reasons.

With vehicles having many motors and 1 Engine there is no logical reason to call them all motors.

My opinion is based on the fact the motor car manufactures call their Engines---Engines.

Even motorcycle companys call their Engines---Engines, unless electric.

Even outboard companys call their Engines---Engines. unless electric.

If anyone could justify calling an Engine a motor it would be Ford Motor Company!!

They don't, there is no logical reason.

Thanks
Randy
CamKing wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:52 am
GLHS60 wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:11 am I agree, you won't find me quoting from the dictionary, I can form my own opinions.
With all due respect, that's one of the dumbest comments I've read, in a long while.

The Dictionary is the authoritative source for the meaning of words.
Your opinion is not. It's just an opinion.
No college professor will accept your opinion as fact. No first grade teach will accept your opinion as fact.
If a cop clocks you going 20mph over the speed limit, but your opinion is that you were going the speed limit, how will that hold up in court?

Like I said before, all engines are motors, like all Blue Jays are birds.
"Engine" is a more definitive term, but "motor" is also correct.
except manufactuers do call outboards both motors and engines interchangably, funny that....
https://www.suzukimarine.com.au/outboards/
Roundybout
Pro
Pro

Post by Roundybout »

An engine uses heat or combustion to produce motion (simplified) where a motor uses electricity or hydraulic pressure to produce motion. Motor terminology is almost never interchangeable with the word engine.

“electric motor” “brushless motor” “hydraulic motor”

Substituting the word motor with engine in the above isn’t correct. Engine and motor used as an adjective instead of a noun is the confusing part. “Department of motor vehicles” “Motorboat” Motor describes movement of all types. As in motor skills in the human body. The word engine is specific to objects that convert heat to movement. You wouldn’t go to the Department of Engine Vehicles. Motor Vehicles is correct as it encompasses anything that moves. Electric cars, scooters, boats, buses, bicycle ect.

You can call it a steam motor and everyone would understand what you were talking about. But steam engine is the correct description as heat is being converted to motion.
digger
Guru
Guru

Post by digger »

Roundybout wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:47 pm An engine uses heat or combustion to produce motion (simplified) where a motor uses electricity or hydraulic pressure to produce motion. Motor terminology is almost never interchangeable with the word engine.

Substituting the word motor with engine in the above isn’t correct. Engine and motor used as an adjective instead of a noun is the confusing part. “Department of motor vehicles” “Motorboat” Motor describes movement of all types. As in motor skills in the human body. The word engine is specific to objects that convert heat to movement. You wouldn’t go to the Department of Engine Vehicles. Motor Vehicles is correct as it encompasses anything that moves. Electric cars, scooters, boats, buses, bicycle ect.

You can call it a steam motor and everyone would understand what you were talking about. But steam engine is the correct description as heat is being converted to motion.
unfortunately you are wrong.

the origin of the word motor is "to move" hence it is any mechanical device that causes something to move i.e. motion

there is zero requirement for electricity to be involved
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

People arguing that the definitions of words in the dictionary are incorrect.

That’s classic internet logic right there.
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.
Roundybout
Pro
Pro

Post by Roundybout »

digger wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:51 pm
Roundybout wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:47 pm An engine uses heat or combustion to produce motion (simplified) where a motor uses electricity or hydraulic pressure to produce motion. Motor terminology is almost never interchangeable with the word engine.

the origin of the word motor is "to move" hence it is any mechanical device that causes something to move i.e. motion

I said that right above. Motor is movement. It doesn’t have to be electric. It doesn’t have to be hydraulic. It doesn’t have to be biological. It’s just a description of movement. “He has excellent motor skills” and “He has excellent engine skills” are two totally different statements and pointing out motor and engine are not interchangeable. A big part is if engine or motor is used as a noun or adjective
frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Post by frnkeore »

This could all have been solved in 1903, if only Ford had named the company "Ford Otto Company"
Roundybout
Pro
Pro

Post by Roundybout »

PRH wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:54 pm People arguing that the definitions of words in the dictionary are incorrect.

That’s classic internet logic right there.
It could be worse. I’m just glad we’re not on page 126 of the HP vs Torque debate lol.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

2020 Ford Global Technologies patent wrote:[0006]
Above all in the case of electrified motor vehicles with an electric motor, which scarcely generates engine sounds, as the traction motor, synthetic sounds play an even greater role for the perception by other traffic participants such as pedestrians or cyclists than in the case of motor vehicles with internal combustion engines as the traction motor.
Ford does refer to internal combustion engines as motors.

Q.E.D.

Next up, linguistics.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

GLHS60 wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:14 pm Excellent!!!

This proves you're actually following along.

Some outboard companys use the term interchangeably but electric motors are changing that.

Thanks
Randy
Ford uses the term interchangeably: in 2020.

SAE P.E.s have used the term interchangeably for over one hundred years in published papers.
digger
Guru
Guru

Post by digger »

Roundybout wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:02 pm

I said that right above. Motor is movement. It doesn’t have to be electric. It doesn’t have to be hydraulic. It doesn’t have to be biological. It’s just a description of movement. “He has excellent motor skills” and “He has excellent engine skills” are two totally different statements and pointing out motor and engine are not interchangeable. A big part is if engine or motor is used as a noun or adjective
no you said "a motor uses electricity or hydraulic pressure to produce motion." as in it has to be electric or hydraulic which is simply not the case

motor and engine are used Interchangeably for the internal combustion engine.....clearly
Roundybout
Pro
Pro

Post by Roundybout »

digger wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:25 pm

no you said "a motor uses electricity or hydraulic pressure to produce motion." as in it has to be electric or hydraulic which is simply not the case

motor and engine are used Interchangeably for the internal combustion engine.....clearly
Now you’re nitpicking. Maybe I should have put “a motor CAN use either electric or hydraulic pressure to produce motion. A engine can use gasoline, natural gas, propane or diesel. I then went on to define motor as movement.
digger
Guru
Guru

Post by digger »

Roundybout wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:41 pm
digger wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:25 pm

Now you’re nitpicking. Maybe I should have put “a motor CAN use either electric or hydraulic pressure to produce motion. A engine can use gasoline, natural gas, propane or diesel. I then went on to define motor as movement.
you should have said a motor is a mechanical device that produces motion

and

an engine is a mechanical device that uses a fuel to generate mechanical energy