SBC Induction Length

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

SBC Induction Length

Post by skinny z »

Is there a resource that lists the various induction lengths for a 23° SBC? Specifically one that has Edelbrock's RPM Air Gap intake manifold. By way of comparison perhaps a Victor Jr as well.
Thanks in advance.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass
Re: SBC Induction Length

Post by GARY C »

skinny z wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:27 pm Is there a resource that lists the various induction lengths for a 23° SBC? Specifically one that has Edelbrock's RPM Air Gap intake manifold. By way of comparison perhaps a Victor Jr as well.
Thanks in advance.
Here are some but not the Air Gap, maybe someone will chime in with that one. http://speierracingheads.com/manifold-lengths.html
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

Thanks for that Gry. That gives me something to work with.
Now the next question I suppose comes from this statement at Speire's website.

Cylinder Head port length + Manifold port length = Total induction length

Probably easier to find but I'll start here by asking what the runner length is in a typical SBC head?
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

As far as an intake system, wasn't the old 1964, 327/375Hp, Rochester fuel injection top-end about as good for drivability vs power and economy went back then?

I'm thinking about one for a 4.155" b x 3.00" s = 325" engine with modern heads on it.

If he is still around, I figure Jack Podell should have a unit.

pdq67
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

skinny z wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:05 pm Thanks for that Gry. That gives me something to work with.

Probably easier to find but I'll start here by asking what the runner length is in a typical SBC head?
Some of that here. http://speierracingheads.com/head-size-info.html
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

Thanks again Gary. I've only recently been visiting Speier's website and I've not been too deep into into. That's great info.
6.50camaro
HotPass
HotPass

Post by 6.50camaro »

Back on Nov.12, 2008 Larry Meaux of maxracesoftware posted a long list of sbc heads and many other popular heads of their intake and exhaust port centerline length . I have this thread bookmarked but can't for the life of me figure out how to link it on my kindle fire .
The thread was titled " What the length of SBC intake port?" . Hope this helps you. Dan
6.50camaro
HotPass
HotPass

Post by 6.50camaro »

I just did a goggle search using that title and that thread on this site popped up right at the top of the list . Dan
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

skinny z wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:05 pm Thanks for that Gry. That gives me something to work with.

The Air Gap would probably be a better manifold for most applications if the runners could be longer, the problem is there is no practical way to package the shapes required.
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

6.50camaro wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:52 pm I just did a goggle search using that title and that thread on this site popped up right at the top of the list . Dan
Just did the same. Looks like the information I need.
Thanks Dan.
FWIW I'm trying to gather all the specs needed for the Torque Master software. While I haven't gotten into the program beyond a glance (going to have to read the user manual fully) there are some line items, such as induction length, that are required.
Thanks again to all who have been my search engine!