Valve Spring Tester

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

BOOT
Guru
Guru

Re: Valve Spring Tester

Post by BOOT »

Picked up a digital proform mini, still not tested it yet.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
tuffxf
Pro
Pro

Re: Valve Spring Tester

Post by tuffxf »

David Redszus wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:22 pm I know there appears to be a preference for an analog spring force tester.
Digital testers can be much more accurate and can provide other benefits.

I built a spring force tester using an arbor press, linear position transducer and small load cell.
It measures to 0.1lb and records both force and position. And graphs the results for comparison.

No matter which type of tester is used, false reading are often produced, which are not the
fault of the tester device.

Closed end springs do not produce a single spring rate slope. As each coil comes in contact with an
adjacent coil, the number of active coils is changed. The result is a force vs position slope that becomes
steeper with compression. Open end springs do not respond similarly due to the absence of coil contact.

It is possible to determine the spring force at a specific compression using any method. But we would
not know how the spring force (never spring pressure) changes with valve lift.

If I did not have my own spring force tester and software, I would eagerly pay Kevin at Performance Trends
whatever he want for his tester. What I am really purchasing is knowledge, not just a device.
G,day David,
Tried sending a PM,
Would you mind sharing any pictures and part no's of load cell and linear position transducer and where you purchased them,
Thanks very much!
would like to build something similar
Cheers
Paul