Update to Yates Head Thread

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

fordified
Pro
Pro
Update to Yates Head Thread

Post by fordified »

I posted a thread a while ago about the heads. I dynod the engine and wanted to share the dyno sheet.

Here is the previous thread viewtopic.php?f=1&t=58070&p=822122#p822122

The engine is a 318 SBF. It has a 3 " stroke and 4,100 bore. Carb is a single 750 Holley.

The manifold isn't right. It needs more plenum. Also the cam I think is too big. I'm pretty sure I can get 780 HP out of it with a sheetmetal manifold and cam change.

I wanted to post a video of the pull but can't seem to get it uploaded using the apple file format.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Roundybout
Pro
Pro

Re: Update to Yates Head Thread

Post by Roundybout »

That’s outstanding for 318 cid and a single 750 Holley.
treyrags
Pro
Pro

Post by treyrags »

The bsfc's are impressive
fordified
Pro
Pro

Post by fordified »

Thanks guys. I'm going to put it in the car and see what it runs. It needs some more tuning but I'm not going to change the manifold or cam until I get it dialed in. It should make peak around 9200 to 9400. A new manifold should get us there when the time comes. The more plenum we give it the higher the HP numbers.

Also there's no windage tray in the pan. It's a wet sump with a single stage external pump. The pan could use a little work too.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Stupid question, but why isn't there a SBC version of a Yate's head made.

I know our head-bolt pattern gets in the way, plus we use wedge heads, but still I have to ask..

Or would our SB2.2 head be like a Yates head??

pdq67
fordified
Pro
Pro

Post by fordified »

Splayed valve SBC head. Used to dominate pro stock truck.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

What is the casting number of the mini BBC splayed valve head??

And now we are in here, what SBC head will perform/produce power like an LS-head?

We all know its the LS- engine top-end that makes its power, right...

pdq67
fordified
Pro
Pro

Post by fordified »

A bunch of them including both ford glidden heads. I doubt you’ll find a LS in the comp eliminator pits. The SBC wedge head seems to be the go to head in most small inch comp engines. They make close to 3 hp per cubic inch.
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

fordified wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:37 pm A bunch of them including both ford glidden heads. I doubt you’ll find a LS in the comp eliminator pits. The SBC wedge head seems to be the go to head in most small inch comp engines. They make close to 3 hp per cubic inch.
That is a stout little engine. I look forward to hearing how it runs in the car. What are the vehicle specs and class it runs in?

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

pdq67 wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:30 pm What is the casting number of the mini BBC splayed valve head??

And now we are in here, what SBC head will perform/produce power like an LS-head?

We all know its the LS- engine top-end that makes its power, right...

pdq67
There are a number of good wedge heads out there with rolled valve angles and raised runners. Then there are also some great splayed valve stuff as well. The issue is all that stuff is designed for high rpm, high compression max effort stuff. I don’t really know of any splayed valve stuff or rolled valve angle stuff well suited for something in more of a street application. There are enough standard heads and intakes that a one off head and intake would drown in the aftermarket for a street application.

Sorry for the thread jack fordified.

Paul
fordified
Pro
Pro

Post by fordified »

FC-Pilot wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:47 pm
fordified wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:37 pm A bunch of them including both ford glidden heads. I doubt you’ll find a LS in the comp eliminator pits. The SBC wedge head seems to be the go to head in most small inch comp engines. They make close to 3 hp per cubic inch.
That is a stout little engine. I look forward to hearing how it runs in the car. What are the vehicle specs and class it runs in?
Paul
Thanks Paul.

It’s going in a 2900 lb Mustang to run super stock modified. SS/BS.

I wish I could post the dyno pull. Can’t get the file to upload.
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

fordified wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:59 pm
Thanks Paul.

It’s going in a 2900 lb Mustang to run super stock modified. SS/BS.

I wish I could post the dyno pull. Can’t get the file to upload.
That should be pretty darn cool. Looking forward to seeing timeslips in the future.

Paul
1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

Your heads are tweeked pretty much to the max this is what Kuntz is getting out of them
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Racer71
Pro
Pro

Post by Racer71 »

I street drove a Yates headed 366 it was miserable for sure. Even with 4.56 in a stick car with a solid disc clutch taking off was a pain and anything under 3500 rpm was bad. I bet that motor sounds amazing wound up. 9500 on my 366 was sublime almost primal sounding. Great work!