Minimum Cross Sectional Area: Question

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

mt-engines
Expert
Expert

Re: Minimum Cross Sectional Area: Question

Post by mt-engines »

Orr89rocz wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:06 am Lol this thread was over on page 1. What else are you looking for? Or are you looking for an answer you had in mind but waiting for someone to confirm your bias
x3

it was over at my post of csa... which i think was the first response.
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

Orr89rocz wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:06 am Lol this thread was over on page 1. What else are you looking for? Or are you looking for an answer you had in mind but waiting for someone to confirm your bias
Looking for an answer that was outside the conventional thinking. Never got it. But it does exist.
Good replies from many just the same.
mt-engines wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:06 pm it was over at my post of csa... which i think was the first response.
Not really. I wasn't looking for a suggestion. I asked if a 1.8 CSA would be sufficient for my RPM and CID.
You offered up another CSA altogether. (1.9-2.0). Though, in a round about way I suppose that's saying no.
Then it was suggested by others that 1.8 would be fine.
So, what then? Leave it at that or pursue it further?
I choose the latter.
Now I'm getting shit on for it.
Too bad.
Orr89rocz
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Orr89rocz »

You asked for 5500-6000 rpm range. Everyone said sure that will do that. 425-450 hp? Sure 255 cfm will do that

Im lost where you think there is an approach outside the conventional way of thinking that exists? You are stuck at 1.8 csa and despite suggestions to work to get around that, you stated you are not touching the heads. Sure you can try to approach this like stock/superstock trying to wring out max effort but you arent going to like the street with that and you likely wont like the valvetrain maintenance. But furthermore as Chad posted about, min csa is one thing but the shape has to be there to really work, which your heads may or may not have.
Orr89rocz
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Orr89rocz »

mt-engines wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:48 pm
digger wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:17 pm
skinny z wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:50 pm

Yeah. I'm seeing that the heads are definitely on the small side for a 6000 RPM 383. That said, I could lower my peak HP RPM and still get satisfying results I would think. Maybe target peak around 5500 with a 5700 RPM shift.
Interestingly, it has been compared to a tow truck.

I can't say that I have one really. The obvious answer would be the most out of the heads and cubes selected. I would think somewhere in or around 450 HP isn't unreasonable. Even a solid 425 would be a step function change from the existing iteration.
IMO 1.8" MinCSA should be adequate for that power level
yeah, and less cam is needed. 220@.050 will do it. only need 5000rpm to boot
1.8 and 220’s at .050 you have sub 6000 rpm 425-450 hp. Put it together lol
mt-engines
Expert
Expert

Post by mt-engines »

skinny z wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:22 pm
Looking for an answer that was outside the conventional thinking. Never got it. But it does exist.
Good replies from many just the same.
mt-engines wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:06 pm it was over at my post of csa... which i think was the first response.
Not really. I wasn't looking for a suggestion. I asked if a 1.8 CSA would be sufficient for my RPM and CID.
You offered up another CSA altogether. (1.9-2.0). Though, in a round about way I suppose that's saying no.
Then it was suggested by others that 1.8 would be fine.
So, what then? Leave it at that or pursue it further?
I choose the latter.
Now I'm getting shit on for it.
Too bad.
i offered you the csa to get you to your goal... did your calculator determine that was wrong?

yeah because your goal is stupid, you want 6000rpm but 450hp. you are leaving 100hp on the table easy.
you will make 450hp 1000rpm before you want to peak. to make the engine peak 6000 you need the csa range i gave you. if you want 450hp, then leave them.

i mean damn, lets take a 5.7 vortec engine that was designed to make peak power at what 4600rpm... add stroke to it and try to make it peak 6000?
thats essentially what you want.. at this point do what you want.
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

mt-engines wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:11 pm
i offered you the csa to get you to your goal... did your calculator determine that was wrong?

yeah because your goal is stupid, you want 6000rpm but 450hp. you are leaving 100hp on the table easy.
you will make 450hp 1000rpm before you want to peak. to make the engine peak 6000 you need the csa range i gave you. if you want 450hp, then leave them.

i mean damn, lets take a 5.7 vortec engine that was designed to make peak power at what 4600rpm... add stroke to it and try to make it peak 6000?
thats essentially what you want.. at this point do what you want.
Hey man. No need to get like that really. May I not ask questions? I come here seeking guidance. I ask questions that maybe you find silly. Or perhaps you're insulted that I question you? I don't know. I DO know that by your reply above, you still haven't got the real gist of my question. Post 1 mentions nothing of a HP goal. Only MCA, CID and RPM. Can it be done or do I lower my RPM ? It was suggested by you and others that yes, maybe 6000 RPM out of those heads and CID wasn't going to happen. I should have said thanks and moved on. But it raised a couple of other questions. Nothing calculator related (god forbid).
FWIW, it started getting messed up after I gave in to giving a HP target. That wasn't the original intent. I didn't really have one.
All I wanted to know was what to expect with these cheesy heads of mine. Then it went off the rails. And now it's this.
Anyway, I'll say this sincerely. Thanks for your input and for offering up your expertise. I appreciate it. Same to everyone else. A genuine thanks.
I can move on if everyone else can too.
Thanks again.
FTR. I see the thinking here is that it'll peak at 5700 with the MCA available.
Over an out.