SBC Connecting Rod Offset - Honda Rod Bearing Width

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Vintagewrench
SBC Connecting Rod Offset - Honda Rod Bearing Width

Post by Vintagewrench »

We need to know the amount of offset that SBC connecting rods have, and the width of an un-chamfered Clevite 1.889 Honda racing rod bearing. Have looked everywhere but both are hard to find.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
The Old Motor
Prewar Racing Engine Rebuilding - Reproduction Engine Blocks, Heads, Crankcases - Custom-Made Bearings - Babbitting - Blind-Hole Cylinder Boring - Line boring - Connecting Rod Boring - theoldmotor.com/?page_id=29926
BillK
Guru
Guru

Re: SBC Connecting Rod Offset - Honda Rod Bearing Width

Post by BillK »

Vintagewrench wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:58 pm We need to know the amount of offset that SBC connecting rods have, and the width of an un-chamfered Clevite 1.889 Honda racing rod bearing. Have looked everywhere but both are hard to find.

I am pretty sure I am looking at the right one. CB1665HD .896 wide the narrowed version is .851 I might have time to check the offset on a rod later on.
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov »

Doesn’t the Mahle clevite bearing catalog pdf list the lengths of all their bearings?
Paradigms often shift without the clutch -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxn-LxwsrnU
https://www.instagram.com/ptuomov/
Put Search Keywords Here
Vintagewrench

Post by Vintagewrench »

BillK wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:41 pm
Vintagewrench wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:58 pm We need to know the amount of offset that SBC connecting rods have, and the width of an un-chamfered Clevite 1.889 Honda racing rod bearing. Have looked everywhere but both are hard to find.

I am pretty sure I am looking at the right one. CB1665HD .896 wide the narrowed version is .851 I might have time to check the offset on a rod later on.
Bill,Thanks for taking the time to help, CB1665HD sounds like the right bearing part #.
The Old Motor
Prewar Racing Engine Rebuilding - Reproduction Engine Blocks, Heads, Crankcases - Custom-Made Bearings - Babbitting - Blind-Hole Cylinder Boring - Line boring - Connecting Rod Boring - theoldmotor.com/?page_id=29926
Vintagewrench

Post by Vintagewrench »

ptuomov wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:48 pm Doesn’t the Mahle clevite bearing catalog pdf list the lengths of all their bearings?

Thanks for the lead, it did check that PDF but maybe I missed that measurement.
The Old Motor
ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov »

Vintagewrench wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:02 pm
ptuomov wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:48 pm Doesn’t the Mahle clevite bearing catalog pdf list the lengths of all their bearings?

https://www.mahle-aftermarket.com/media ... -40-16.pdf

Unless I misunderstood the original question, the answer is in the last column labeled "max length". For example, take a look at page 38.
Paradigms often shift without the clutch -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxn-LxwsrnU
https://www.instagram.com/ptuomov/
Put Search Keywords Here
BillK
Guru
Guru

Post by BillK »

ptuomov wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:18 pm Unless I misunderstood the original question, the answer is in the last column labeled "max length".
Correct :) Might be confusing if you dont do it all day long.
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
Vintagewrench

Post by Vintagewrench »

ptuomov wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:18 pm

Unless I misunderstood the original question, the answer is in the last column labeled "max length". For example, take a look at page 38.
Thanks again! My brain short circuited the last time I looked at the catalog and I see it clearly now.
The Old Motor
frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Post by frnkeore »

The offset on SBC is .063 but, that isn't from the CL of the rod. It's the amount that the "thick" side of the rod is wider than the narrow side.

In other words, if you take .063 off the thick side, the rod will be symmetrical about it's center line.

I modify SBC, 400 rods, to use in 302 Fords.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Vintagewrench wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:34 pm
ptuomov wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:18 pm

Thanks again! My brain short circuited the last time I looked at the catalog and I see it clearly now.
https://www.mehanika.ru/upload/iblock/9 ... 0111dc.pdf

The problem appears to be inconsistent terminology by bearing manufacturers. In some cases it is referred to as width and others length. In roller bearing dimensions the practices seem more consistent.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
leahymtsps
Pro
Pro

Post by leahymtsps »

Personally I think CB1663H is the more common HRJ bearing and it's width is listed as
.792 and is unchamfered.

Tom
Vintagewrench

Post by Vintagewrench »

frnkeore wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:34 pm The offset on SBC is .063 but, that isn't from the CL of the rod. It's the amount that the "thick" side of the rod is wider than the narrow side.

In other words, if you take .063 off the thick side, the rod will be symmetrical about it's center line.

I modify SBC, 400 rods, to use in 302 Fords.
Thanks for the information!
The Old Motor
LSP
Pro
Pro

Post by LSP »

leahymtsps wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:36 am Personally I think CB1663H is the more common HRJ bearing and it's width is listed as
.792 and is unchamfered.

Tom
Yes