SBF dry sump question

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Ohio Rob

SBF dry sump question

Post by Ohio Rob »

Hello all.
I’m new here today. I posted an introduction in another thread.

Anyhow, I’m currently working on piecing a 363 SBF drag engine together.
I have a new Dart SHP 4.125” bore 8.2” deck block. I’m going to dry sump the engine and use a Barnes 5 stage pump. I plan on scavenging from the pan.

My question is in regards to the oil feed line location.
Is it better to enlarge the 1/4” NPT oil pressure port (drivers side just behind the timing cover) to 1/2” NPT and feed the -12 line in there, or is it better to use an adapter (Peterson makes one) that feeds the oil into the engine through the oil filter boss?

The first option would provide a straighter shot to the main galley.

Thanks for any input.
Rob
Alaskaracer
Expert
Expert

Re: SBF dry sump question

Post by Alaskaracer »

I'm running a chevy, and I have the supply hose going into an adapter at the oil filter location. I use an inline oil filter just before that. I don't know how the ford oils the mains, but my block is a priority main block, and it's easiest to feed it from the factory location in my opinion. it oils the mains first....everything else gets it after....
Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream rear engine dragster
Speed kills but it's better than going slow!
http://www.livinthedreamracing.com
Authorized Amsoil Retailer
Ohio Rob

Post by Ohio Rob »

The Dart SBF is priority main oil feed.

Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated
Racer71
Pro
Pro

Post by Racer71 »

My Motorsport block was few with a -12 at the location behind timing cover and as well up high to feed the cam separately. It did t have a screw on filter port either. I would think using the adapter at the filter location would be sufficient though.
BILL-C
Expert
Expert

Post by BILL-C »

If you are mounting pump on the driver side, then it is easier to plumb the oil inlet into the front oil passage. You dont need to open it up to 1/2 npt, just 3/8 npt. Multiple venders sell the extended 3/8 pipe to -10 an adapter. Make sure it's steel. Plug the oil filter mount thread with a straight thread o-ringed plug and tap the oil passage 1/4 npt and plug. Of course you have to run a remote filter.
Carlquist Competition Engines
Ohio Rob

Post by Ohio Rob »

Thanks for the replies!

I plan on mounting the pump on the passenger side. I believe Jones makes a passenger side pump mounting bracket. It will be easier on that side because of the steering.

Will using a -10 line in be sufficient even with the length of line from a remote filter? I’m assuming a -12 to the filter and a -10 from the filter to the feed in the block. Is this correct?

I do have a CV products 1/2” NPT to -12 extended oil feed fitting in my stash. I’m assuming they make a 3/8”NPT to -10 one I could use.
BILL-C
Expert
Expert

Post by BILL-C »

Ohio Rob wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:12 pm Thanks for the replies!

I plan on mounting the pump on the passenger side. I believe Jones makes a passenger side pump mounting bracket. It will be easier on that side because of the steering.

Will using a -10 line in be sufficient even with the length of line from a remote filter? I’m assuming a -12 to the filter and a -10 from the filter to the feed in the block. Is this correct?

I do have a CV products 1/2” NPT to -12 extended oil feed fitting in my stash. I’m assuming they make a 3/8”NPT to -10 one I could use.
-10 line is fine on pressure side. It's about double the flow of the passages in the block. It is typical for a 363 sb ford to flow about 6-6.5 gpm at 200* f with 5/30 synthetic oil at full speed, and 75 psi measured at block. -10 line and fitings flow more than enough for this application without adding unwanted additional weight and bulk.
Carlquist Competition Engines