Sbf Trick flow Cast iron heads

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

bigfoot
Sbf Trick flow Cast iron heads

Post by bigfoot »

In the early.90s Trick Flow made cast ironheadd..anyone know what the intake port volume where on the smaller heads that had 1.94 intake valve ? Thanks
JohnsnsFord2@aol.com
Re: Sbf Trick flow Cast iron heads

Post by JohnsnsFord2@aol.com »

The first batch of the heads were 180 runner and later on they made some that were 192. I had a set of the early castings... I run the older alums now
Stephen Johnson #2162
Horace Johnson #2167
SS/D 427 Ford Fairlane NHRA-IHRA
Ex-Jim Van Cleve
1985 Mustang GT N/A 331
bigfoot

Post by bigfoot »

IMG_2878.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bigfoot

Post by bigfoot »

Do you think this is the smaller port head ?
Joe-71
Pro
Pro

Post by Joe-71 »

I believe you will find the TFS iron head was the R series, not the high port. I ported those when they first came out. The iron was some of the most dense I have ever worked with. Joe-71
Joe-71
JohnsnsFord2@aol.com

Joe-71 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:46 pm I believe you will find the TFS iron head was the R series, not the high port. I ported those when they first came out. The iron was some of the most dense I have ever worked with. Joe-71
you sure ? The R head came out years later...after the twisted wedge head....the valves were twisted on the R head. The HP cast and alum head were in-line valves
Stephen Johnson #2162
Horace Johnson #2167
Ex-Jim Van Cleve
1985 Mustang GT N/A 331
JohnsnsFord2@aol.com

bigfoot wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:35 amIMG_2878.JPG
not sure, take a pic of the intake side
Stephen Johnson #2162
Horace Johnson #2167
Ex-Jim Van Cleve
1985 Mustang GT N/A 331
bigfoot

Post by bigfoot »

Any one have a pair for sale?? ..the 170 cc with 1.94 intake valve is what l am after
lance flake
Pro
Pro

Post by lance flake »

Joe-71 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:46 pm I believe you will find the TFS iron head was the R series, not the high port. I ported those when they first came out. The iron was some of the most dense I have ever worked with. Joe-71
The R head is twisted wedge design and all were aluminum. Cast iron head was street heat/high port in line valve design. The cast iron heads were very heavy. I had a brand new never assembled bare set at one time and sold them. I have another set that have had some work done on them. Got those put a way for a project one day!
n2omike
Guru
Guru

Post by n2omike »

Iron heads were all High Ports. The 'R' head was a Twisted Wedge variant, and came much later.
In the early days of iron heads, there were two choices... the High Port and the Dart/World iron. No CNC porting back then, so the fastest head was the one with the best port work. I believe some of the earliest High Ports (can't remember if it was iron or aluminum) had KPS cast into the ends of them... Kaufman Performance Solutions.

The iron high ports were indeed VERY heavy. If memory serves, they were 64 pounds each... bare. They were a LOT heavier than a factory head! lol
n2omike
Guru
Guru

Post by n2omike »

n2omike wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:21 amI believe some of the earliest High Ports (can't remember if it was iron or aluminum) had KPS cast into the ends of them... Kaufman Performance Solutions.
I'm sorry. It was "KPI" that was cast onto the ends of some of these heads.

Below are threads regarding the early High Ports:
https://www.theturboforums.com/threads/ ... od.324662/

https://www.racepagesdigital.com/where- ... ecialties/
Joe-71
Pro
Pro

Post by Joe-71 »

It may well have been high port heads, it was a long time ago. I still have a set of the KPI heads on my 383W stroker. They work very well. I had one of the first sets of both the high port heads(TFS/KPI), and the iron heads for experimental porting. I may still have the flow sheets on those iron heads from back in the day. The ones I ported sure looked like the early prototype of the R head if my 74 year old memory is still working. Joe-71
Joe-71
Gfp

Post by Gfp »

I Have 3 Sets Of Cast Iron tfs Cast Iron High Port Heads
Gfp

Post by Gfp »

Joe-71 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:37 pm It may well have been high port heads, it was a long time ago. I still have a set of the KPI heads on my 383W stroker. They work very well. I had one of the first sets of both the high port heads(TFS/KPI), and the iron heads for experimental porting. I may still have the flow sheets on those iron heads from back in the day. The ones I ported sure looked like the early prototype of the R head if my 74 year old memory is still working. Joe-71
I would love to see your flow sheets on a set of TFS Cast iron High Ports heads
I Have 3 Sets of Them
Gfp

Post by Gfp »

n2omike wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:21 am
Iron heads were all High Ports. The 'R' head was a Twisted Wedge variant, and came much later.
In the early days of iron heads, there were two choices... the High Port and the Dart/World iron. No CNC porting back then, so the fastest head was the one with the best port work. I believe some of the earliest High Ports (can't remember if it was iron or aluminum) had KPS cast into the ends of them... Kaufman Performance Solutions.

The iron high ports were indeed VERY heavy. If memory serves, they were 64 pounds each... bare. They were a LOT heavier than a factory head! lol
I Have 3 Sets Of Cast Iron TFS Cast Iron High Port Heads