Camshaft Question

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Crew Chief

Camshaft Question

Post by Crew Chief »

Greetings,

I purchased a used race engine and have torn it down for rebuild.
The engine builder ground all the numbers off of the end of the camshaft.

The builder/company has gone out of business, he has passed away.

I want to know what the camshaft is, it is a solid billet roller, but I would like the specs.

Does anybody here, know what camshaft company I can send it to to have it all correctly measured and create a Spec card for it?

I know at one time you could send a camshaft for measuring, but I forget what company it was.

Thanks so much for your time.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Re: Camshaft Question

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Crew Chief wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:04 am Greetings,

I purchased a used race engine and have torn it down for rebuild.
The engine builder ground all the numbers off of the end of the camshaft.

The builder/company has gone out of business, he has passed away.

I want to know what the camshaft is, it is a solid billet roller, but I would like the specs.

Does anybody here, know what camshaft company I can send it to to have it all correctly measured and create a Spec card for it?

I know at one time you could send a camshaft for measuring, but I forget what company it was.

Thanks so much for your time.
Anybody with a "cam doctor" can do what you want.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Crew Chief

Post by Crew Chief »

Thanks,
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

The only thing that's tricky, is calculating what the lash should be. For that, you want to send it to someone who understands cam design.
We can do it. Cost is $20
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
Crew Chief

Post by Crew Chief »

Thank you sir, I will give you a call tomorrow.

Thanks again.
Elroy
Pro
Pro

Post by Elroy »

CamKing wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:15 pm The only thing that's tricky, is calculating what the lash should be. For that, you want to send it to someone who understands cam design.
We can do it. Cost is $20
That's certainly reasonable
lance flake
Pro
Pro

Post by lance flake »

I hate it when someone does this. Sure makes it harder on the next guy.
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

lance flake wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:20 am I hate it when someone does this. Sure makes it harder on the next guy.
I assume you're talking about grinding the numbers off the back of the cam.
This is extremely common in circle track racing. Many customers will take their winning engine that the engine builder worked hard to develop, and the next season, take it to someone else, because they're cheaper. The engine builders are just trying to protect their investment.
The problem I would always run into was many of my customers would pull the cam out of the engine, when they're rebuilding it, and forgot where they put the cam card, or which cam card went with which engine.
What I do now is, I stamp the invoice # on the cam, so the engine builder doesn't have to grind it off. If someone calls me, wanting to find the specs for a cam of mine, if their name isn't on the invoice that matches that number on the cam, I don't give them the info, until I talk to the person who's name is on the invoice. 95% of the time, the engine builder who originally bought the cam, knows what's going on, and has no problem with me giving out the specs. Other times, we have found some shady things going on.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449
BlitzA64
Expert
Expert

Post by BlitzA64 »

Seems kind of crazy to me. I knew a builder that wouldn't allow his customer to take the valve cover off without a phone call. If the engine went a little sour at a race they switched to the back up. After a while the builder got to trust the customer and things got a bit easier. :lol:
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

BlitzA64 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:37 am Seems kind of crazy to me. I knew a builder that wouldn't allow his customer to take the valve cover off without a phone call. If the engine went a little sour at a race they switched to the back up. After a while the builder got to trust the customer and things got a bit easier. :lol:
there's the first clue you need a different engine builder. cant take the valve cover of an engine you own because the engine builder said so :lol:
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

BlitzA64 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:37 am Seems kind of crazy to me. I knew a builder that wouldn't allow his customer to take the valve cover off without a phone call. If the engine went a little sour at a race they switched to the back up. After a while the builder got to trust the customer and things got a bit easier. :lol:
Wait until a competitor tells your top customer, they'll rebuild and maintain their engine for half what you charge. Your competitor will be using your old customer's success to bring in new customers, and providing them copies of the engine you spent a lot of hours developing.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449
BlitzA64
Expert
Expert

Post by BlitzA64 »

Wait until a competitor tells your top customer, they'll rebuild and maintain their engine for half what you charge. Your competitor will be using your old customer's success to bring in new customers, and providing them copies of the engine you spent a lot of hours developing.
Agreed, however grinding numbers from a camshaft just makes the "copier" work a little to copy the cam, if he is going to do it he will do it. I build my own stuff, my machinist knows the basic combination but not everything involved. Like I said once the builder learned to trust my buddy he eased up on the restrictions. They worked together for 30 years of on and off racing.
lance flake
Pro
Pro

Post by lance flake »

CamKing wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:05 am
lance flake wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:20 am I hate it when someone does this. Sure makes it harder on the next guy.
I assume you're talking about grinding the numbers off the back of the cam.
This is extremely common in circle track racing. Many customers will take their winning engine that the engine builder worked hard to develop, and the next season, take it to someone else, because they're cheaper. The engine builders are just trying to protect their investment.
The problem I would always run into was many of my customers would pull the cam out of the engine, when they're rebuilding it, and forgot where they put the cam card, or which cam card went with which engine.
What I do now is, I stamp the invoice # on the cam, so the engine builder doesn't have to grind it off. If someone calls me, wanting to find the specs for a cam of mine, if their name isn't on the invoice that matches that number on the cam, I don't give them the info, until I talk to the person who's name is on the invoice. 95% of the time, the engine builder who originally bought the cam, knows what's going on, and has no problem with me giving out the specs. Other times, we have found some shady things going on.
I understand and agree with what you say on this matter. I've only had a few come through my shop with numbers ground off. Most of those come from set-ups no one wanted to copy anyway. Nothing like someone take credit for your knowledge and hard work!
rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Post by rebelyell »

CamKing wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:26 pm
I know a "retired" driver who had a pretty good truck record, less so in busch and crap in cup ... know him pretty well and have worked w/ him in busch & other projects. He had a Very good ride with a Very good team owned by a great retired driver who has Cup championships under his belt. Well, my pal decided he wanted to see the innards of his team-owned ride carb ... team owner's well-known brother built the carb & motor ... they found out that my guy'd been inside carb ... end of the road for him ... lgood night Irene!.

I fully understand protecting trade secrets and trying to get them. It's a real big deal, even at the local/regional levels of circletrack (especially cams).