Tightwad at wallyworld

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Little Mouse
Expert
Expert
Tightwad at wallyworld

Post by Little Mouse »

I'm running amzoil full syn. 10w 40 in my water cooled triumph T120, the down side, it shares the engine and trans oil. So I'm thinking I'm going to switch to mobile 1 V-twin full syn 20w 50. So on the shelf at wallyworld they have this oil on the shelf around $10.50 a quart and my engine/cycle ( lol ) needs 4 1/2 quarts, right next to the mobile 1 is the same said thing on the bottle V- twin full syn. 20 w 50 but its I guess Wally world brand "tech" and it's a little over $2.00 a quart cheaper. So is it just as good as mobile 1 or just mobile 1 in there brand bottle who knows, I hate to waste money for nothing. The engine primary is gear driven into the trans and all its gears, reason I'm highly considering the higher vescosity oil, royal purple also makes the 20w 50 full syn, get it at pep boys not sure on its price.
cv67
Guru
Guru

Re: Tightwad at wallyworld

Post by cv67 »

I wouldnt run walmart brand anything in something I cared about. Have to be cutting a corner somewhere?
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

This guy does some interesting basic tests on different oils, Walmart comes from Warren Industries.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

Wallmart oil, recycled drain oil.
Little Mouse
Expert
Expert

Post by Little Mouse »

Oh come on not that bad lol. The 10 w 40 amzoil I bought at bates discount ( engine cycle ) but nothing about it was cheap and it's a 24 mile extra round trip to get it I dont want to do all the time. So i guess I do all my groceries at wally world I'll go for the mobile 1. I cant buy royal purple only royality allowed to buy it.
rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Post by rebelyell »

on WW shelf
Shell Rotella T6 full syn in several weights 15W-40, 5W-40 and 0W-40
BillK
Guru
Guru

Post by BillK »

How often do you change the oil in the bike ? Maybe once a year ? Is it worth taking a chance ? :)
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
Little Mouse
Expert
Expert

Post by Little Mouse »

Was in trucking business had mack, cummins, detroit ( two stroke ) cat engines over all those year. Mack engines were first I had ran delo oil then switched for a lot of years to shell rotella. The mack engines had small pans 9 gallon total capacity, later cummins and cats had 11 to 12 gallon capacity. So when I started running the 3406 cats on the shell oil they were using almost a gallon of oil in the 10,000 mile change interval. So I was bitching about it at restaraunt to another trucker that had bought several new freightliner conventional trucks with 3406B cats. He said I'm running mobile delvac 1300 in my engines there using no oil in between changes. Well I thought this could be trucker bull shit probably not going to work but I would try it, so I changed my engines over to mobile delvac 1300. The engines stopped using any oil between changes right from the get go. So I guess you can read between the lines, my newly bought in 2018 triumph will be getting the mobile 1 20w 50 full synthetic and I'm not royalty cant try any royal stuff.
Little Mouse
Expert
Expert

Post by Little Mouse »

I change oil in motorcycles within 3000 miles no matter what I have used over the years. My new triumph has 9800 miles on it in 1 year 9 months I'm still riding it in dfw tx winter. I dont do garage queen.
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

Just run the good oil 20% longer between changes, same price, probably better in every possible way.
Get out of wally world. It's not a place for thinking deep thoughts.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

I think most people waste money on high dollar magic oil, growing up we ran Cooks Recycled oil, never changed a filter and never had an oil related issue even though we drove like teenagers in a Joey Chitwood stunt show, literally.

I have a 93 1/2 ton truck that I bought from the original owner in 2012 with 215,000 miles and all his records show he used run of the mill 10-30 Pennzoil so that is what I stuck with, I only change it once a year, it now has 260,000 + miles, mostly accumulated after it became my daily at the end of 2014.

In the 50ish vehicles I have owned few have seen anything other than run of the mill oil and none have ever had an issue, even some work trucks that have gone over 400,000 miles with less than desired oil change intervals.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru

Post by rebelrouser »

I knew an engineer for BG products, and I was attending one of his seminars about carbon cleaning and oil additives. He had a slide that showed how much BG oil additives improved a list of popular oils, and how much longer you could run those oils after using BG stuff. At the very bottom of the list was WalMart brand oil, it showed the longest life of any of the oils tested. He said Wal Mart oils had some of the best additive packages in the industry. Base stock oils, and additive packages cost all companies about the same. But all these other companies sponsor race cars and have big advertising budgets, which has to get paid for. WalMart spends nothing on advertising their oil. And people like to sue WalMart, he said they can prove in court they have quality oil, by the additive package they use. My girlfriend had a Pontiac with a quad four engine, I kept telling her to sell it, because sooner or later it was going to blow a head gasket, and its a big job to fix it. Sure enough 200,000 plus miles it popped a head gasket, she always used cheap WalMart oil, engine was very clean inside and very little wear on the timing chain and rubbing blocks.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

rebelrouser wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:33 pm I knew an engineer for BG products, and I was attending one of his seminars about carbon cleaning and oil additives. He had a slide that showed how much BG oil additives improved a list of popular oils, and how much longer you could run those oils after using BG stuff. At the very bottom of the list was WalMart brand oil, it showed the longest life of any of the oils tested. He said Wal Mart oils had some of the best additive packages in the industry. Base stock oils, and additive packages cost all companies about the same. But all these other companies sponsor race cars and have big advertising budgets, which has to get paid for. WalMart spends nothing on advertising their oil. And people like to sue WalMart, he said they can prove in court they have quality oil, by the additive package they use. My girlfriend had a Pontiac with a quad four engine, I kept telling her to sell it, because sooner or later it was going to blow a head gasket, and its a big job to fix it. Sure enough 200,000 plus miles it popped a head gasket, she always used cheap WalMart oil, engine was very clean inside and very little wear on the timing chain and rubbing blocks.
You always pay extra for the name on the package, you can buy Morel lifters under the Herbert name for $80 to $100 dollars less based on the name on the package, this has been the case for everything in my 50+ years on this planet.
Please Note!
cv67
Guru
Guru

Post by cv67 »

Sorry plain wrap aint the same as name brand. Some may be similar but miracles dont happen.
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

There was a period of time they sold the worst batteries, somehow, even tho..... as everybody says, they were made by the same company that supplies everybody else. battery execs were probably not interested in a LONG term relationship and probably were laughing at how long that went on, before anybody noticed....because who would notice?
It's actually legendary how bad they were.

What's stopping that from happening to every product they sell. Not much.
Name brands and middle men actually DO have purpose, QC, pride, loyalty and all that.