Tightwad at wallyworld

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Krooser
Guru
Guru

Re: Tightwad at wallyworld

Post by Krooser »

Warren Oil has been a large volume bottler for Shell Oil for many years. Not sure about today.

I have seen first hand oil analysis reports from Wally's Tech Oil that rival anything on the market. I don't use it because I get smoking deal on Federated (Amalie) oil at my local parts house.
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
Little Mouse
Expert
Expert

Post by Little Mouse »

In 1989 I leased to a company pulling 57 ft dry box trailers everything we hauled was light. Empty cans into say Budweiser. So I pick up a load of gallon plastic, prestone, peak and a couple other names I cant remember i show up at a antifreeze manufacture in Louisiana. So I just ask one of the line workers what's the difference between these anti freeze brands, he says the color dye. Does he truly know that who knows. But back then I always bought myself had to be more expensive Preston. But since that day I started just buying the cheapest brand. Lol nothing bad seemed to happen to me.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

^^^^^^^^^^^

Ask yourself how many ethylene glycol plants are there? I think several years ago, one went down for some reason and it spiked for a bit until the plant was back on line.

And I have to say that I have ran W/W's Tech2000 oil in all our vehicles including lawnmowers just fine. For more years than I want to remember, old man that I now am..

Years ago, I was commuting in a bought new 2000 Metro 3-banger, corn-popper and I let it go over 13,000 miles a couple of times and it was fine.

pdq67
Little Mouse
Expert
Expert

Post by Little Mouse »

Wally world knows what to do. Up on top self was the mobile 1 in quarts, right beside it same thing in super tech, no seperation.
raynorshine
Expert
Expert

Post by raynorshine »

GARY C wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:31 pm I think most people waste money on high dollar magic oil, growing up we ran Cooks Recycled oil, never changed a filter and never had an oil related issue even though we drove like teenagers in a Joey Chitwood stunt show, literally.

I have a 93 1/2 ton truck that I bought from the original owner in 2012 with 215,000 miles and all his records show he used run of the mill 10-30 Pennzoil so that is what I stuck with, I only change it once a year, it now has 260,000 + miles, mostly accumulated after it became my daily at the end of 2014.

In the 50ish vehicles I have owned few have seen anything other than run of the mill oil and none have ever had an issue, even some work trucks that have gone over 400,000 miles with less than desired oil change intervals.

-wish i said that first =D>
-clean fresh oil, decent oil filter, good to go !
Use it up
Wear it out
Eat it all!

-the greatest..."Dale Armstrong"
GT50

Post by GT50 »

In my opinion (Quality has a price) and you get what you pay for. Oil is like our blood if it is good we will live healthy, if oil doesn't have the right aditives they will not protect or even destroy your good engine why gamble. There are no miracles.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

GT50 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:06 am In my opinion (Quality has a price) and you get what you pay for. Oil is like our blood if it is good we will live healthy, if oil doesn't have the right aditives they will not protect or even destroy your good engine why gamble. There are no miracles.
Not sure thats a good analogy, turbo guys replace spark ignition oil with compression ignition oil (Rotella) for better engine life but I would not try replacing human blood with animal blood.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
GT50

Post by GT50 »

GARY C wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:35 am
GT50 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:06 am In my opinion (Quality has a price) and you get what you pay for. Oil is like our blood if it is good we will live healthy, if oil doesn't have the right aditives they will not protect or even destroy your good engine why gamble. There are no miracles.
Not sure thats a good analogy, turbo guys replace spark ignition oil with compression ignition oil (Rotella) for better engine life but I would not try replacing human blood with animal blood.
Diesel oil have more aditives to them one of them the TBN and others that give good protection and can be used on a gasoline engine. For sure no one is going to use a hypoid oil in an engine. It is still a oil but probably for a diferencial.
Lizardracing
Pro
Pro

Post by Lizardracing »

Lame opinion here about to happen.
After reading and cussing and discussing for years and years on the nets and bench racing with buddies and some critical thinking skills on this subject says to me, if you change the oil on the regular, maintain on the regular and drive it like it was intended, anything you find on the shelf with the current EPA rating, SA or SN now? I think? anyway, will work out just fine in the grand scheme of life.
Little Mouse
Expert
Expert

Post by Little Mouse »

Any version of oil worlds better then it was 50 years ago.
wwmtlineman

Post by wwmtlineman »

If you have a $50000+ truck why worry about a few bucks worth of oil ?
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

I want to say that a guy whose handle was, "540Rat", has/had a great big deal about oils! Seems he really got into them through the years.

If you want, then hunt him up.

pdq67
raynorshine
Expert
Expert

Post by raynorshine »

Little Mouse wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:29 pm Any version of oil worlds better then it was 50 years ago.
ya agreed!

-in that Redline vs Tech Oil test, i was surprised how close they tested.. =D>
Use it up
Wear it out
Eat it all!

-the greatest..."Dale Armstrong"
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

raynorshine wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:03 pm
Little Mouse wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:29 pm Any version of oil worlds better then it was 50 years ago.
ya agreed!

-in that Redline vs Tech Oil test, i was surprised how close they tested.. =D>
He just did a new one on grease, Redline was the better choice there.
Here is a 70 year comparison.
70-year old Quaker State Oil tested for performance. Compared to Quaker State 10W-40 conventional oil. Oil tested in running engine, film strength, cold temperature performance, and tested by independent oil lab.
Last edited by GARY C on Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
Little Mouse
Expert
Expert

Post by Little Mouse »

So if oil does not matter I can get 5 quart container of either strait 60 or strait 70 mineral Lucas oil, says it's for racing motorcycle's only 36 bucks. What then use it only in summer then if it has no detergent change it every 1000 miles. Lol