Advantages of electric cooling fans vs mechanical

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

travis
Guru
Guru
Advantages of electric cooling fans vs mechanical

Post by travis »

Is there any distinct advantages of using electric fan/fans vs the old reliable thermal clutch fans? I know a lot of people make a big deal about swapping to electric fans but really haven’t found any concrete data about better Hp or mileage or whatever. I like simplicity and definitely reliability, but if an electric fan setup is worth it, then now is a good time for me to upgrade, considering I busted my original fan shroud into a number of pieces.

Application is a ‘83 Ford F-150, roughly doubling the stock HP. Plenty of frontal area and air flow, but I am in Texas where it can get a bit warm :lol:
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass
Re: Advantages of electric cooling fans vs mechanical

Post by GARY C »

I thought you watched Engine Masters TV?

My biggest issue with elec and street is that few do the job.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
bobmc

Post by bobmc »

the advantage is timing, use it only when necessary, might never use it on some winter days, and in the summer it cools the radiator after engine shutoff
emsvitil
Pro
Pro

Post by emsvitil »

You can turn the fan off to cross the water during a flood.
Ed
cv67
Guru
Guru

Post by cv67 »

My spal is a joke compared to a simple plastic flex fan, keep the mech and maybe use an electric hooked to your ac or thermostatic swithc that comes on around 200? Kind of bulletproof things.
Most electrics that do the job are not cheap, many rate their cfm when its not in front of the radiator. Looks like a good deal on paperbut dont always work out so well. plus iif they go out youre calling a tow truck
I dont live on a dyno so could care less about some minimal loss. I bet youd never feel it.

stock mech fan (02 1500 truck) moves rediculous amounts even at idle.
Little Mouse
Expert
Expert

Post by Little Mouse »

travis wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:24 am Is there any distinct advantages of using electric fan/fans vs the old reliable thermal clutch fans? I know a lot of people make a big deal about swapping to electric fans but really haven’t found any concrete data about better Hp or mileage or whatever. I like simplicity and definitely reliability, but if an electric fan setup is worth it, then now is a good time for me to upgrade, considering I busted my original fan shroud into a number of pieces.

Application is a ‘83 Ford F-150, roughly doubling the stock HP. Plenty of frontal area and air flow, but I am in Texas where it can get a bit warm :lol:
Been in summer hell ( texas ) since 1979 ya think it gets to hummid and hot lol.
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

With a clutch there is always a certain amount that the fans spins even if it is not needed. The higher rpm you turn the more rpm the fan is going to turn and use up power even if you don't need it.
A good electric fan is not cheap though, but you'll have better control. One of the most important things with any fan (mech or electric) is a good fan shroud.

That being said, I think a mechanical fan is also responsible for some engines that through their belts off.
Ken_Parkman
Expert
Expert

Post by Ken_Parkman »

I have not run a mechanical fan on cars that I consider performance for 40 years. Always adapted an electric fan of some kind. Over the years I have tracked noticeable differences at the track and on the chassis dyno.

Lots of advantages:
- reduce power loss
- increase fuel economy (never tested that, and really don't care, but if there is less waste power there is better fuel economy)
- less balance problems (no mechanical fan)
- less load on water pump and belts
- better flexibility on cooling
- safer (no fan to fail at high rpm)

And a few disadvantages:
- you have to be careful of adequate cooling
- potentially significant draw on electrical system
- fan shroud is important both ways. It is possible to have too restrictive a shroud and have insufficient highway cooling, but a good shroud helps low speed and track use.
- continuous rpm is a tremendous heat load and can be a cooling problem.
- I've never had to deal with Texas heat.

My rules:
- get the most radiator coverage possible, either a huge single or dual fans. Enough coverage no need for a shroud.
- if you have a shroud make sure you do not excessively block the radiator airflow, if there is a lot of blockage have vents in the shroud
- I like an automatic thermostat system with a additional on/off switch for better control
- a couple of times I've had to change shroud designs, but once sorted out it has always cooled fine.
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

Is there even a single OEM application (including industrial) that uses mechanical fans anymore?

With the proper selection and installation, this should be a no brainer.

Electric fans last a lot longer than any belt will...
-Bob
BLSTIC
Expert
Expert

Post by BLSTIC »

On a truck I'd keep the clutch fan. Average power requirement is pretty high compared to a car where I'd never have one except when towing.

Whatever you choose though, ducting makes a huge difference. I've seen multiple vehicles go from overheating undriveable messes (even on the highway) to "fan only needs to activate when stationary for long periods" from adding some coroplast and foam chunks. Make sure whatever goes through that grill goes through a radiator or down the intake, then make a flat undertray that extends from the lower lip of the bumper to a point roughly in line with the radiator. Do that and you'll have passive cooling approaching a modern vehicle
digger
Guru
Guru

Post by digger »

i'd look to retrofit an OE electric fan over an aftermarket one as the aftermarket ones seem to be fairly under powered
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

hoffman900 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:30 pm Is there even a single OEM application (including industrial) that uses mechanical fans anymore?

With the proper selection and installation, this should be a no brainer.

Electric fans last a lot longer than any belt will...
My 01 and 09 2500HD both have had mech fans, 6.0 gas LS, I figured it was due to the load the truck will see.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

digger wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:36 pm i'd look to retrofit an OE electric fan over an aftermarket one as the aftermarket ones seem to be fairly under powered
Very much this!!!

OE fans tend to flow on the 3000-4000cfm range and have BIG, BEEFY motors that can power those aggressive blades to pull air through the cooling stack at high pressure drops.

I laugh when I see "2000cfm" fans with straight blades, hardly any shrouding, and a 15 amp fuse on little 16 gauge wire. A real fan will need a 40 amp circuit per fan and have cabling that looks like it belongs on an alternator.

Ideally the fan will be well shrouded and be about one fan hub diameter's distance away from the radiator, too. You want the fan to pull from the whole radiator instead of a 16" circle.
67RS502
Expert
Expert

Post by 67RS502 »

Ford Windstar fans, do a google!
2 large shrouded fans, pull over 4000cfm
the shroud size will fit a universal 31"x19" rad. with minor trimming.
and the repop fans are around $70 on ebay.
I always recommend these, they do a good job on the street.
67 camaro
girly rollers on pumpgas:
420 - 641hp BretBauerCam, 1.39, 9.79 @ 137.5
383 - 490hp 224/224, 1.56, 10.77 @ 124.6
502 - 626hp 252/263, 049s 1.44, 10.08 @ 132.7
62 Nova cruiser
383/200-4R/12-bolt w 373s
224/224 HR cam
1.57 10.97 @ 121.2
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

67RS502 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:30 pm Ford Windstar fans, do a google!
2 large shrouded fans, pull over 4000cfm
the shroud size will fit a universal 31"x19" rad. with minor trimming.
and the repop fans are around $70 on ebay.
I always recommend these, they do a good job on the street.
My brother put the win star van fans and shroud on his mid 80’s blazer and has not had any issues. Now he has yet to get his ac running so it has not endured the misery of the Phoenix Arizona summer yet. That will be the final test.

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins