Valve Spring Tester/Checker DANG!

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

n2omike
Guru
Guru

Valve Spring Tester/Checker DANG!

Post by n2omike »

I recently purchased a used 0-500 lb Rimac in amazing condition, and am extremely happy with it! Can't stop playing with it. lol

That being said, I came across the Buxton unit... and all I can say is DAMN! If I were a high volume shop, one of these would be a no brainer! It's amazing what all it does, and how quickly it does it. For the price and what they do, they aren't a bad deal at all. If you're not completely familiar with what this thing does, you owe it to yourself to watch the video.

You simply input some very basic data, then give ONE pull of the handle all the way to coil bind, and it tells you basically everything you need to know... and some stuff you probably didn't... instantly. lol

http://www.buxtonengineering.com/valve_ ... tester.php

Or, straight to the video...
http://www.buxtonengineering.com/valve_ ... tester.php
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Re: Valve Spring Tester/Checker DANG!

Post by PackardV8 »

n2omike wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:43 pm If I were a high volume shop, one of these would be a no brainer!
Yes, a very nice, very versatile unit.

Define "high volume". Ever been in a volume rebuilder shop? Imagine a $20-an-hour greasy finger guy punching those tiny calcuator buttons all day. My first thought is it is too delicate to hold up in a production shop. More suited to a "high-dollar-low-volume" custom engine shop.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Post by prairiehotrodder »

i just purchased the LSM spring tester. Seemed like the best bang-for the buck unit to me. Looks like a quality unit but i haven't used it much yet.
Brian
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com
n2omike
Guru
Guru

Post by n2omike »

prairiehotrodder wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:30 pm i just purchased the LSM spring tester. Seemed like the best bang-for the buck unit to me. Looks like a quality unit but i haven't used it much yet.
Brian
The bench top? I believe those are hydraulic... I have an old hydraulic unit. It wasn't as expensive as the LSM, but never gave very precise/accurate readings. Too much friction inside the cylinder. It was stick, then jump. Then, if you went past the number, and reversed back, it wasn't smooth, and would not repeat. Hopefully, the LSM unit is better, but mine soured me against any of the hydraulic ones.

I was fortunate to purchase a used, almost brand new looking 0-500 lb Rimac from a member here. He still has another one. I believe he was asking $600 for it. They are a tried an true unit that has withstood the test of time. Too bad they are no longer available new. But a durable, precise, mechanical instrument made like that would cost a fortune nowadays.

As for the Buxton piece... When speaking 'high volume', I didn't mean a stock rebuilder shop like Jasper... I meant someone that builds racing engines on a regular basis. I bought the Rimac for my own personal use, and for a few friends I help out, and build stuff for. LOVE IT! True, quality piece. I'd rather avoid batteries that can corrode and screens/computers that can go bad, as I don't use one enough to warrant those features. If I did, I'd have a Buxton. lol
needforspeed66gt
Guru
Guru

Post by needforspeed66gt »

I love our Buxton, just would have been nice if it didn't have 3d printed parts on a mostly billet aluminum $1800 spring tester.
Nate @steeldustmachine
Engine Machinist
n2omike
Guru
Guru

Post by n2omike »

needforspeed66gt wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:41 pm I love our Buxton, just would have been nice if it didn't have 3d printed parts on a mostly billet aluminum $1800 spring tester.
It says $1,595 on their site... but the firmware to allow it to hook directly to a computer is $189, I believe.
Compared to the Intercomp, which is over $1,000... it looks like a much nicer, far more capable piece... and worth the extra money.
But, you feel some of the parts are 'cheap' looking? Hopefully, it continues to hold up for you!
RCJ
Expert
Expert

Post by RCJ »

Anybody ever try to build one using a load cell.I have a homemade checker that works very good, but a digital readout would be perfect.
Hrdlx62
Pro
Pro

Post by Hrdlx62 »

FYI, Rimac is coming back. Jan.-Mar. engine professional magazine.
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Post by prairiehotrodder »

proform is gonna be selling the Rimac machines. I already tried to buy one but it was not in stock yet.
Brian
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com
n2omike
Guru
Guru

Post by n2omike »

prairiehotrodder wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:59 pm proform is gonna be selling the Rimac machines. I already tried to buy one but it was not in stock yet.
Brian
Well, that's not very reassuring. I'm assuming they just bought the 'name'... and will put out some piece of trash with Rimac's name on it. I hope I'm wrong... but QUALITY mechanical instruments aren't exactly Proform's business model.