Which lifter would you use?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Bwh998

Post by Bwh998 »

Installing a rebuilder melling flat tapped in a small chevy. Melling says to use their anti pump lifter but im tempted to go with the regular ac delco thats more expensive, for quality concerns. Heres the list:

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/se ... 01/4442320
Lizardracing
Pro
Pro
Re: Which lifter would you use?

Post by Lizardracing »

I wouldn't use that cam but I like the Delphi's with the hardened foot.
Bwh998

Post by Bwh998 »

Lizardracing wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:12 pm I wouldn't use that cam but I like the Delphi's with the hardened foot.
The ac delcos = delphi, right?
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Who sells the stellite bottomed flat tappet solid Chevy lifters?

Are they still around and can they be used with all the solid flat tappet cams being sold nowadays?

Isky used to sell, maybe still does, a, "chilled iron", flat tappet solid lifter but I think they had to be used with their hard-face overlay cams??

pdq67
tenxal
Expert
Expert

Post by tenxal »

Bwh998 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:55 pm Installing a rebuilder melling flat tapped in a small chevy. Melling says to use their anti pump lifter but im tempted to go with the regular ac delco thats more expensive, for quality concerns.
The Delphi JB817 lifter with the tool steel face is an excellent lifter. Shimmed to .015 travel, I've run them to 7,300 with zero issues. They looked like new when they came out. Be aware they are discontinued so don't blink if you find a set.

Bullet Cams used to stock them as modified by Cliff Sherman...might want to give them a call.

Crower's 66000X3's are another one to look at if you can't find the Delphis.
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

Pretty sure Summit sells the Stellite foot lifters. They did for Pontiacs.
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

Might check with PBM. They have a similar lifter
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
Alaskaracer
Expert
Expert

Post by Alaskaracer »

Honestly, unless it's a rules required build that dictates flat tappets, I wouldn't run anything other than a roller cam, solid or hydraulic....
Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream rear engine dragster
Speed kills but it's better than going slow!
http://www.livinthedreamracing.com
Authorized Amsoil Retailer
rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Post by rebelyell »

Bwh998 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:55 pm Installing a rebuilder melling flat tapped in a small chevy. Melling says to use their anti pump lifter but im tempted to go with the regular ac delco thats more expensive, for quality concerns. Heres the list:

That Melling 22301 grind is ancient tech. Nothing "wrong" but you can do much better.
Oreilly's :-s published specs for 22301 = gross error.
tenxal
Expert
Expert

Post by tenxal »

Coloradoracer wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:20 amHonestly, unless it's a rules required build that dictates flat tappets, I wouldn't run anything other than a roller cam, solid or hydraulic....
True, but that's not his question. :wink:
Bwh998

Post by Bwh998 »

rebelyell wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:48 am
Bwh998 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:55 pm Installing a rebuilder melling flat tapped in a small chevy. Melling says to use their anti pump lifter but im tempted to go with the regular ac delco thats more expensive, for quality concerns. Heres the list:

That Melling 22301 grind is ancient tech. Nothing "wrong" but you can do much better.
Oreilly's :-s published specs for 22301 = gross error.
I messed up there. I meant to post a link to the list of lifters i was looking at. The ac delcos vs the mellings. Thats not even the cam i went with, this is just to get the vehicle running so i can move it between my garage and my shop to finish some chassis stuff.
Last edited by Bwh998 on Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bwh998

Post by Bwh998 »

Coloradoracer wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:20 am Honestly, unless it's a rules required build that dictates flat tappets, I wouldn't run anything other than a roller cam, solid or hydraulic....
Agreed 100% and a solid roller will be installed at the same time buy heads and an intake for it. I just need the truck running and moveable to finish some chassis stuff.
Alaskaracer
Expert
Expert

Post by Alaskaracer »

tenxal wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:35 am True, but that's not his question. :wink:
I kinda did answer the question in an off the cuff kind of way....I wouldn't even waste the money on the flat tappets at all....but for what he's gonna do I'd get the cheapest ones I could. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Other option is get the engine done the way you want it then put it in and finish chassis work....just leave dress up stuff off until the other is done.....that's my approach....
Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream rear engine dragster
Speed kills but it's better than going slow!
http://www.livinthedreamracing.com
Authorized Amsoil Retailer
Bwh998

Post by Bwh998 »

The melling lifters showed up and pretty much answered my question. Looks like ill be using the delcos, they should be here in a day or two. (Hard to see in picture but they have a layer of dirt and grit covering them)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cv67
Guru
Guru

Post by cv67 »

thought the delphis arent as hard as the ones that were discontinued by GM?

The originals go for a ton if you can find them