Red Top Battery Life?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Krooser
Guru
Guru

Red Top Battery Life?

Post by Krooser »

I have a guy who has a used 4 year old Optima Red Top battery for sale. These things go for $225.00 or so retail. He's asking $80.00...yea or nay?
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
fishman
Expert
Expert

Re: Red Top Battery Life?

Post by fishman »

I have two blue tops, one is 12 years old and one in the race car is at least 8 years old
[IMG]http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f29/fishman1/S7300198-1.jpg[/IMG]
turbo camino
Expert
Expert

Post by turbo camino »

Of the three I've owned, one had a sudden-death internal open circuit, and another internally shorted one cell. I wouldn't use another Optima battery if you gave them to me for free.
DON'T PANIC
cv67
Guru
Guru

Post by cv67 »

Same
Buying $59 walmart batteries, pull the label off been real pleased with them.
I wouldnt buy a used batt esp one thats 4 yrs old.You can get a new one for less....they all come with a 1 yr warranty a 2-3 yr is cheap. Their return policy is good.
Not a fan of spending money there but really?? Over 1-200 for a battery nfw
My427stang
Expert
Expert

Post by My427stang »

Good luck for me too, but they do like a charger designed for an AGM. If it tests good sitting there now, I'd take it for that, maybe offer him 60 and split the difference
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
Plattsmouth, NE
70 Mustang, 489 FE, TKO-600, Massflo SEFI, 4.11s
71 F100 SB 4x4, 461 FE, 4 speed, port injected EFI, 3.50s
n2omike
Guru
Guru

Post by n2omike »

I have a Red Top Optima... It's born date is 02/06... making it 14 years old, and it's still going strong.
It is currently powering my 1966 mustang. Over the winter, I'll stick the Battery Tender on it for a couple days once every month or so, but don't leave it on there full time.
raynorshine
Expert
Expert

Post by raynorshine »

no personal experience with Optima batteries...but..

-worst experience with Crappy(Canadian) Tire battery :x

-best experience/luck with Interstate =D>
Use it up
Wear it out
Eat it all!

-the greatest..."Dale Armstrong"
Alaskaracer
Expert
Expert

Post by Alaskaracer »

The new Optima batteries are NOTHING like the originals. I've got a red and a yellow top. Both are disappointments. I only use the redtop for my tongue jack on the trailer and it's done after about two or three lifts. The yellow top is in the trailer for the winch. Same deal, two or three easy pulls and it's done.....Only reason I haven't replaced them yet is because I haven't used them enough to warrant the cost of the one I want yet....but it's gonna happen soon....
Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream rear engine dragster
Speed kills but it's better than going slow!
http://www.livinthedreamracing.com
Authorized Amsoil Retailer
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

I have a Made-In-USA Optima that went a dozen years. I still have it, but it's not presently in a vehicle; and I don't know how well it works any more.

I have a Hencho-En-Mexico Optima that went about six months. Got a refund on that one as a warranty claim. Would go several weeks, then need a jump-start and an overnight charging. Good for another few weeks. Nothing wrong with the vehicle's electrical system; I fully tested it. A different battery completely solved the problem.
fishman
Expert
Expert

Post by fishman »

If you kill your agm optima all you have to do to bring them back to life is take a fully charged lead acetate battery hook up a wire from the positive post on the lead battery to the optima positive and then do same with another wire to the negative hook up your battery charger to the lead acetate battery and set it to regular battery setting and start charging on low amps it could take 12-24 hours of charging put it will come back to life. Done this many times
[IMG]http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f29/fishman1/S7300198-1.jpg[/IMG]
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

Interesting, I wish somebody told me 10 years ago. Could have tried it.
Had a several just quit, I don't know what was going on.
In one case the battery was fully charged, got cold (0F), warmed up again, dead as a loaf of bread.
I took it with me as a spare in case my battery died, never even hooked it up.
Cold?, high altitude, both? no idea. I quit buying them, and advised my friends to do the same.
dfarr67
Expert
Expert

Post by dfarr67 »

cv67 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:18 pm Same
Buying $59 walmart batteries, pull the label off been real pleased with them.
I wouldnt buy a used batt esp one thats 4 yrs old.You can get a new one for less....they all come with a 1 yr warranty a 2-3 yr is cheap. Their return policy is good.
Not a fan of spending money there but really?? Over 1-200 for a battery nfw
When they were USA made- worth the price at the time, mexican for some years- after multiple failures I no longer purchase. I like Interstate- but honestly.....whatever is at hand now, quality sucks on so many names I used to buy.
Alaskaracer
Expert
Expert

Post by Alaskaracer »

fishman wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:01 pm If you kill your agm optima all you have to do to bring them back to life is take a fully charged lead acetate battery hook up a wire from the positive post on the lead battery to the optima positive and then do same with another wire to the negative hook up your battery charger to the lead acetate battery and set it to regular battery setting and start charging on low amps it could take 12-24 hours of charging put it will come back to life. Done this many times
This makes no difference when the battery is junk to begin with. Mine are charged exclusively on chargers designed for AGM batteries....both of them...made no difference......Their quality took a serious dive when they moved production from Denver, Colorado to Mexico....sucked ever since...
Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream rear engine dragster
Speed kills but it's better than going slow!
http://www.livinthedreamracing.com
Authorized Amsoil Retailer
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

But yet we hear of many satisfied customers.
Maybe they just need to be in their native habitat.
Which, apparently is mexico. makes sense.

if your climate is like mexico, go for it.
Tho.... what part of wisconsin is tropical?
Racer71
Pro
Pro

Post by Racer71 »

I’ve went to using Bosch lithium way lighter and starts/runs my sons circle track car just fine. It’s the size of a quad battery but starts and runs electric fan fuel injection and pump no problem. I Had too many optima and antigravity failures.