Sbc Iron performance cyl heads

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

cv67
Guru
Guru

Sbc Iron performance cyl heads

Post by cv67 »

Noticing there seems to be quite a selection out there, price is sure right.
Not personally interested but if a guy wanted to make a stockish (all iron) appearing engine and get a decent iron head what choices would you recommend...and brand to stay away from and why?
See some are 230+cc..

See all kinds from Speedmaster eq summit Dart, sure theres offshore stuff that Ive never heard of.

Thanks
rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Re: Sbc Iron performance cyl heads

Post by rebelyell »

EQ CH350H
rapidride2
HotPass
HotPass

Post by rapidride2 »

Heard the Dart Iron eagle platinums are a good head. Especially when ported. Not sure how they stack up against the Engine quest head.
Mark O'Neal
Guru
Guru

Post by Mark O'Neal »

Know a guy that runs 9.30s with a set of 50 year old cast iron heads.
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

just how big of a stock appearing small block are we talking about? even the old sportsmanII's given a little grinder luv can make fairly impressive power.
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

If your looking at 230 CC head even with a cid of 383 under them,then you'd better be caming it to run in a peak power band above 5800 rpm.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

I have used the old pro-topline, sportsman II, dart and EQ. I either used them on 350 cube combos or 327 combos. Due to the cubic inches and the expected mild builds the biggest runner size I have used was 200cc. All worked well, but some had more quirks than others. Some had 60/40 valve layout without saying it, which caused some problems when trying to bolt up standard rockers and guide plates. The last set I used was a set of the EQ 180cc heads, which they don’t offer anymore. Pump gas hydraulic roller makes a solid 482 HP out of a 358 cubic inch deal. Fairly basic but moves our ski boat along pretty well.

I would say all are pretty decent as long as you are willing to address their quirks. Being that you did not state a theoretical build, I can’t really say which I would use.

As far as Speedmaster goes, I will use their carb spacers as that is a non dynamic part that you really can’t screw up. As for other things that are a little more vital, I have had experience teach me that the time needed to correct things may cost me more than just buying better stuff. Just my opinion based on my own personal experience.

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
turbo camino
Expert
Expert

Post by turbo camino »

Black paint will stick to aluminum heads too, you know.
DON'T PANIC
dfarr67
Expert
Expert

Post by dfarr67 »

I have a set of RHS vortec I replaced with AFR vortec......I keep telling myself what a difference the AFRs made..:(
rapidride2
HotPass
HotPass

Post by rapidride2 »

dfarr67 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:27 pm I have a set of RHS vortec I replaced with AFR vortec......I keep telling myself what a difference the AFRs made..:(

Is your comment eluding to no real difference? I have a set of RHS vortec heads that I have never used. Any more detail on how they compare to the AFR's?
cv67
Guru
Guru

Post by cv67 »

for a vortec style they do pretty well Im guessing

Im not building anything with iron just surprised to see so many out there doesnt seem like a bad bang for the buck.
NIce to have an option anyways wtih too many alum ones going to china. If you were halfway decent with a grinder id bet one could make good power. Half temped to try a set if they came along cheap. (sbc)
econo racer
Expert
Expert

Post by econo racer »

Every thing I ever bought from RHS was perfect out of the box. I have been thinking about getting a new set of heads from them. Will probably be in the 210 cc size.
dfarr67
Expert
Expert

Post by dfarr67 »

rapidride2 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:08 pm
dfarr67 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:27 pm I have a set of RHS vortec I replaced with AFR vortec......I keep telling myself what a difference the AFRs made..:(

Is your comment eluding to no real difference? I have a set of RHS vortec heads that I have never used. Any more detail on how they compare to the AFR's?
In my case- if your not really pushing the heads capabilities, then the lesser of the two is plenty.
Little Mouse
Expert
Expert

Post by Little Mouse »

FC-Pilot. What brand of iron head did you use that had 60-40 moved valves ?
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

Little Mouse wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:35 pm FC-Pilot. What brand of iron head did you use that had 60-40 moved valves ?
The old EQ 200cc iron race heads. They had 180, 200, 215 (if I remember correctly) and a 230. I “think” that is what I measured. All I know is standard rockers and guide plates did not fit them, at least if you did get them on they were out of alignment. We ended up using offset shaft rockers for them. It has been a few years since they were available, and since We built that last combo. From what I understand the current offerings don’t have any issue (although I have not tried any yet).

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins