General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

travis
Guru
Guru
Adjustable guide plates

Post by travis »

8F1B3572-275C-45F3-8AB1-BFD002D38E35.jpeg

This is my first experience with these things, and they are fighting me every step of the way. Do these look excessively loose fitting? I am having a hell of a time getting them to stay put when torquing the studs. I’ve tried several different fixed guide plates and none have been quite right, so adjustable seems to be the only option.

It also looks to me like it wouldn’t be hard to manufacture a guide plate that only adjusts side to side, instead of in every direction...

I haven’t tried a different brand of AGP’s, so maybe other ones aren’t quite so sloppy fitting???
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tenxal
Expert
Expert
Re: Adjustable guide plates

Post by tenxal »

On a SBC, JoMar's are the best I've used. Not sure if they make them for others.
Ohio Rob

Post by Ohio Rob »

Maybe try to determine your required spacing and TIG weld them together.
treyrags
Pro
Pro

Post by treyrags »

Ohio Rob wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:52 am Maybe try to determine your required spacing and TIG weld them together.
This. Get them where you want them and tack weld them together. Then you can torque them down.
Charliesauto
Pro
Pro

Post by Charliesauto »

travis wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:33 am 8F1B3572-275C-45F3-8AB1-BFD002D38E35.jpeg

This is my first experience with these things, and they are fighting me every step of the way. Do these look excessively loose fitting? I am having a hell of a time getting them to stay put when torquing the studs. I’ve tried several different fixed guide plates and none have been quite right, so adjustable seems to be the only option.

It also looks to me like it wouldn’t be hard to manufacture a guide plate that only adjusts side to side, instead of in every direction...

I haven’t tried a different brand of AGP’s, so maybe other ones aren’t quite so sloppy fitting???
Lube the bottom of the hex on the rocker stud with CMD.
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

Welding them saves time in the long run.
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

use some cut up strips of feeler gauges of equal thicknesses, jam them into the gap, find your ideal spot rolling the engine over with the rocker studs just just cracked loose so they can move...then tack weld

Or some light seating of the rocker stud and tap them into the correct position, then tack
jsgarage
Expert
Expert

Post by jsgarage »

I suggest brazing. Guide plates by definition are hardened steel as are the pushrods they're guiding. Welding any kind of hardened steel usually results in the weld cracking plus annealing whatever hardening process was used, at least near the weld areas. My Boss-type 351-Cs use stock guide plates. I've never needed split plates, though.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

Jomar 3 piece are nice and finally just came back in stock, I got a call not long ago almost 2yrs after I ordered a set LOL The two piece moving sucks! You gotta kinda compensate then tighten down and check, but I wanted to try a strong magnet connecting both maybe on my next set, still got a couple isky sets to use up.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

jsgarage wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:11 pm I suggest brazing. Guide plates by definition are hardened steel as are the pushrods they're guiding. Welding any kind of hardened steel usually results in the weld cracking plus annealing whatever hardening process was used, at least near the weld areas. My Boss-type 351-Cs use stock guide plates. I've never needed split plates, though.
Don't braze them, just a single tig tack on each side
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

BOOT wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:04 am Jomar 3 piece are nice and finally just came back in stock, I got a call not long ago almost 2yrs after I ordered a set LOL The two piece moving sucks! You gotta kinda compensate then tighten down and check, but I wanted to try a strong magnet connecting both maybe on my next set, still got a couple isky sets to use up.
Are you talking about the 3 piece ones with the set screws to lock the pieces together? I seen a set for a BBC ... seems like that would work pretty good.

I do not have access to a TIG. Would a tack weld with a MIG work? I guess it's ok to ground to some place on the head to do this?

The rocker studs are standard SBF spacing...the problem is the valve tips are spaced farther apart than "normal"
n2omike
Guru
Guru

Post by n2omike »

jsgarage wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:11 pm I suggest brazing. Guide plates by definition are hardened steel as are the pushrods they're guiding. Welding any kind of hardened steel usually results in the weld cracking plus annealing whatever hardening process was used, at least near the weld areas. My Boss-type 351-Cs use stock guide plates. I've never needed split plates, though.
Hardening is NOT a problem...

Decades ago when I was building my first engine, I noticed the valves were not centered on the valve stems. Solution was to cut them in half, and center them. After firing it up, I drove the car down to the machine shop, where he used a stick welder to lay a bead down the center of each guide plate! These were standard SBF guide plates, that were full length, about 1.5" tall... not narrow, wide BBC. lol Worked great. Only part that has to be hard is where the pushrods ride in the slots.

As for someone's recommendation to grease the bottom of the rocker stud, so it doesn't grab the plate to bad... I installed some last night, and that worked PERFECT. The guide plate grips the head, but not the bolt. I brushed some ARP Ultra Torque assembly lube on there, as that's what was sitting on the bench, and they tightened down without even moving. (Isky Adjustable on a SBF)

I didn't weld them. Rockers are already on and adjusted. Will break the SFT cam in on the run stand, and will need to change springs... so may tack them in at that point. Seem pretty solid as they are, though.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

travis wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:40 amAre you talking about the 3 piece ones with the set screws to lock the pieces together? I seen a set for a BBC ... seems like that would work pretty good.

I do not have access to a TIG. Would a tack weld with a MIG work? I guess it's ok to ground to some place on the head to do this?

The rocker studs are standard SBF spacing...the problem is the valve tips are spaced farther apart than "normal"

Nope the 3rd piece goes on top of the two other pieces and keep them from moving when you tighten the stud down. The pieces are thinner but combined the same thickness as regular guide plates I think.

I'm not a fan of welding adjustable guide plates unless your app is like circle track or anything that has prolonged rpm.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

BOOT wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:32 pm
travis wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:40 amAre you talking about the 3 piece ones with the set screws to lock the pieces together? I seen a set for a BBC ... seems like that would work pretty good.

Nope the 3rd piece goes on top of the two other pieces and keep them from moving when you tighten the stud down. The pieces are thinner but combined the same thickness as regular guide plates I think.

I'm not a fan of welding adjustable guide plates unless your app is like circle track or anything that has prolonged rpm.
https://www.competitionproducts.com/mob ... lbfPCRMGEc

Would this be the one? I didn’t even see guide plates listed on Jomar’s website, but CP shows to have them in stock. Looks like this would work...
tenxal
Expert
Expert

Post by tenxal »

That's the ones. I've used them in both 5/16" and 3/8". Good stuff.