General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

RPM Air Gap Runner Length (SBC)

Post by skinny z »

Edelbrock's RPM Air Gap for Gen 1 SBC.
Nosed around the internet looking for a number but I could find nothing.
Speier's website has some listings but they're all single plane.
Any direction would be appreciated.
Thanks.
af2
Guru
Guru

Re: RPM Air Gap Runner Length (SBC)

Post by af2 »

Why? they are around 8"
GURU is only a name.
Adam
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

af2 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:13 pm Why? they are around 8"
Refining an engine spec. Cam selection primarily.
That 8" length seems excessive. I was under the impression that it's closer to 6". Single plane look to be anywhere from 4.5" to 6.5".

http://speierracingheads.com/manifold-lengths.html
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

skinny z wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:48 pm
af2 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:13 pm Why? they are around 8"
Refining an engine spec. Cam selection primarily.
That 8" length seems excessive. I was under the impression that it's closer to 6". Single plane look to be anywhere from 4.5" to 6.5".

http://speierracingheads.com/manifold-lengths.html
I would say 6 to 6 1/4 but they are hard to measure, the other thing to note is that unlike a single plane intake they have little to no tapper from plenum to exit.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
6.50camaro
HotPass
HotPass

Post by 6.50camaro »

Can't really remember exact numbers ,forgot to right them down a few years ago and dont have the manifold any longer . But it was in the 5.5" to 6" range . Thats is measuring to where the two runners merge , not to under the carb . The avg. Cross section with the flange gasket matched to a 1205 was around 1.46 sq.in. hope this helps.
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

GARY C wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:02 pm I would say 6 to 6 1/4 but they are hard to measure, the other thing to note is that unlike a single plane intake they have little to no tapper from plenum to exit.
Thanks Gary. Sounds about right. I've emailed Edelbrock seeing if they can verify that.
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

skinny z wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:48 pm Refining an engine spec. Cam selection primarily.
So,.. how will different runner lengths change your cam selection?

Say 5" vs 6" vs 7" runner length ?
How will you cam those differently ?
And, why will you cam them differently for those runner length differences ?

Randy
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

randy331 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:06 pm
So,.. how will different runner lengths change your cam selection?

Say 5" vs 6" vs 7" runner length ?
How will you cam those differently ?
And, why will you cam them differently for those runner length differences ?

Randy
It won't. I'm experimenting with software. I'm looking at the correlation between induction length and RPM peaks for TQ and HP and am playing around with inputs.
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

Sorry, the "refining an engine spec. Cam selection primarily" part of your post lead me to believe you'd change cam based on runner length.
I just wanted to know how you would change one of them vs the other ??

Randy
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

6.50camaro wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:56 pm Can't really remember exact numbers ,forgot to right them down a few years ago and dont have the manifold any longer . But it was in the 5.5" to 6" range . Thats is measuring to where the two runners merge , not to under the carb . The avg. Cross section with the flange gasket matched to a 1205 was around 1.46 sq.in. hope this helps.
Thanks for that. I'll venture a guess and say that the plenum wouldn't be a part of the overall length. But I've been wrong before.
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

randy331 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:44 am Sorry, the "refining an engine spec. Cam selection primarily" part of your post lead me to believe you'd change cam based on runner length.
I just wanted to know how you would change one of them vs the other ??

Randy
I see my reply was a little misleading. At this point the cam spec is in place. But since I have your attention...
If we build a header spec that focuses peak power at a certain RPM range, (as we do with primary diameter and length as well as collector sizing), is there a benefit to tuning the intake to the same RPM range?
The reason I'm asking (at the risk of this thread going off the rails) is that I can see how the induction length changes peak HP and TQ RPM.
Something as simple as a 1" spacer could pull that peak RPM down to more closely match the approximated peak RPM that the cam predicts.
The difference between an 11.5" vs 12.5" length is about 500 RPM (IIRC).
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

skinny z wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:43 am If we build a header spec that focuses peak power at a certain RPM range, (as we do with primary diameter and length as well as collector sizing), is there a benefit to tuning the intake to the same RPM range?
Found an answer to that.
And as usual, it all depends.
6.50camaro
HotPass
HotPass

Post by 6.50camaro »

skinny z wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:37 am
6.50camaro wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:56 pm Can't really remember exact numbers ,forgot to right them down a few years ago and dont have the manifold any longer . But it was in the 5.5" to 6" range . Thats is measuring to where the two runners merge , not to under the carb . The avg. Cross section with the flange gasket matched to a 1205 was around 1.46 sq.in. hope this helps.
Thanks for that. I'll venture a guess and say that the plenum wouldn't be a part of the overall length. But I've been wrong before.
Thats my take on it also . Where the two runners merge is not directly under the carb pad ,but recessed back creating a plenum thats about 2 to 2.5 inches longer than the opening in the carb pad . That is why I stated "where they merge " , some wrongly take a straight line down to the floor at the edge of the carb pad .Just my take I could be mistaken it would not be the first time . Dan
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

Yep. Same principle as measuring primary header length. It's where the pipes end that counts.
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

Here's the answer from Edelbrock in it's entirety:

Hello Kevin, No Sir, Sorry Edelbrock does not have this information anywhere, as I have been asked this before, and after working here for 28+ years, the Engineer's tell me why do they need to know. Even so, it is really hard to measure the runner length, especially in a dual-plane, where as a single-plane is a lot easier, sticking a tape in each runner. ...there is cross sectional area to deal with and the longer the runner the more torque it will generate...

It ends there.