SBC alum heads

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

vht
SBC alum heads

Post by vht »

Been thinking about building a sbc for my next street rod and was looking around for heads. I see Brodix has a pair, 200 cc for $1000, Skip White has a set that have good dyno numbers if they are true and they are like $800. This will be a street motor, 383 or maybe a 406 since I have a nice 400 block, what is a decent performing head out of all these bargain heads? I don't want to end up with a set of reworked Pro Comps? Skip says he uses Comp valve springs, retainers and I think PBM valves, I always run Brodix on my race BBC motors.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Re: SBC alum heads

Post by ProPower engines »

vht wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:50 pm Been thinking about building a sbc for my next street rod and was looking around for heads. I see Brodix has a pair, 200 cc for $1000, Skip White has a set that have good dyno numbers if they are true and they are like $800. This will be a street motor, 383 or maybe a 406 since I have a nice 400 block, what is a decent performing head out of all these bargain heads? I don't want to end up with a set of reworked Pro Comps? Skip says he uses Comp valve springs, retainers and I think PBM valves, I always run Brodix on my race BBC motors.
If you don't want ProComp heads then you may want to look at other heads then those.
And don't be confused there is 2 white performance shops in the same city and state.
Skip White Performance and White performance.
They both have similar ad's on Ebay but the White performance is in no way connected to Skip White.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
vht

Post by vht »

I know about the 2 shops, Skip White does a really nice job on info in the ads and his prices are good but I've never done business with him. On the heads, I've heard of rebranded Pro Comps, someone said that the Speedmaster heads were Pro Comp, I don't really know, that's why I was asking. I can't afford AFR or any big name heads I'm just wanting a decent performing motor that will make power to 6500 or so.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

vht wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:31 pm I know about the 2 shops, Skip White does a really nice job on info in the ads and his prices are good but I've never done business with him. On the heads, I've heard of rebranded Pro Comps, someone said that the Speedmaster heads were Pro Comp, I don't really know, that's why I was asking. I can't afford AFR or any big name heads I'm just wanting a decent performing motor that will make power to 6500 or so.
Speedmaster is procomp.
This said there is some better then others.
And AFR is in the same league for quality on finished heads just more money so what about Dart or others
Chad Speier has a line of heads that are a cut above the off shore offerings for those on a budget.
Realistic power must be considered and you get what you pay for if the balance of the package is not up to task
Contact Speier racing heads in the hot pass section and talk to Chad.
But your still going to be in the $1000+ range for decent stuff anyway but still call Chad and see what he has
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

on a street 383, the AFR 195 is a good head. lots of other good choices out there too.
cv67
Guru
Guru

Post by cv67 »

Hmm, china or brodix I know what Id pick. Your $ OP
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=58679
cv67
Guru
Guru

Post by cv67 »

Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

I am working with some SBC ProComp heads bought a month ago. 23*, 64cc chamber, 190 cc int runner. As cast with just seat inserts & guides. They look well made & finished. Checked a couple of valve seats & no leakage. Some US cast heads I worked on recently had pitting all over the head gasket surface.
garym

Post by garym »

You may want to check out the Pro Maxx aluminum cylinder heads as I have read that they are better than some of the other off shore brands.These heads are still an off shore head but seem to be made better.Just a thought , good luck with your build. garym
vht

Post by vht »

I was leaning toward the Brodix, I think they're called the IK heads but the AFR heads look pretty dang good. I guess they are competing with the off shore heads. This will be going in a 32 Plymouth sedan so it'll be pretty light. Thanks for the info guys.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Would somebody please list the CHEAP aluminum heads out there and who/where they come from for me.

I haven't kept up with this in quite a while so am lost.

Thanks in advance,

pdq67
bobmc

Post by bobmc »

I think all cheap alu heads-say under $900 come from China
cv67
Guru
Guru

Post by cv67 »

Sure would be nice if someone from AFR piped in to share more information on these.
It would sure aid them Id think?
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

bobmc wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:14 pm I think all cheap alu heads-say under $900 come from China
You mean $900 a pair complete ready to run??

Or bare castings with just seats and valve guides installed.

pdq67