Piston ring modifications

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Ohio Rob

Re: Piston ring modifications

Post by Ohio Rob »

Here’s a pic:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tenxal
Expert
Expert

Post by tenxal »

cgarb wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:38 pmThank you, That's what I was after. The super stock pal in question is not a top runner for sure. That's what why I was trying to if it was worth chasing my tail or not. I have spoke with total seal about rings and reducing friction with my set up. The recommended a back cut ring, and some filler material that goes behind the ring to eliminate the extra space there with a low tension oil ring. I'm not that keen on shim behind the ring and was investigating other options to remove mass from the ring and take some of the tension away.
If you're not currently using a back cut ring, that's the place to start. On new pistons, we spec the groove depth to match the ring depth. But you can still make some headway using the groove depth you currently have. The shim material behind the ring works just fine. That was done as early as the '70's, using spacer material from Speed Pro. :)
LSP
Pro
Pro

Post by LSP »

mag2555 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:21 pm Are they allowing 2 ring set ups in SS?
Yes, they have been allowed in Super Stock for many years. Most are on 3 rings, but when the piston compression height gets short enough to compromise the second ring land thickness (there is no minimum block deck height rule in Super Stock), then the 2 ring package is the better way to go.