Piston ring modifications

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

cgarb
Guru
Guru

Piston ring modifications

Post by cgarb »

I have been talking with a local engine builder I deal with about piston rings some. He knows a guy, who knows a guy that runs super stock and stock. He was trying to explain to me about this tool they were using in a Bridgeport mill to machine grooves or scallop cuts into the top face/ID of a compression ring to reduce tension and to increase it's ability to conform to the cylinder wall. Does anyone have a more detailed explanation of what they were doing or maybe some pictures of a modified ring so I can see what he was talking about?
BILL-C
Expert
Expert

Re: Piston ring modifications

Post by BILL-C »

Total seal sells rings like that already machined.
Carlquist Competition Engines
Momus
Pro
Pro

Post by Momus »

BILL-C wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:40 am Total seal sells rings like that already machined.
That certainly answered all the OP's queries Bill.

I am interested as well if anyone has some actual info.
leahymtsps
Pro
Pro

Post by leahymtsps »

midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

And here I am expecting to see a scalloped ring, much like how they scallop a guitar neck.

Nope. Just gas ported rings. Lol
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

Are they allowing 2 ring set ups in SS?

Lol! Well the reason for doing a GTR neck like that is to get the action as low as possible and still be able to bend the stings without slipping off.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

Modifying piston rings is pretty much an exercise in futility . . . . . . To successfully machine the rings utilizing a Bridgeport (or other verical milling machine) will require some specialized tooling and collets. It CAN be done, but will involve a lot of time and money. As BillK has suggested, you can call Total Seal and get the latest designs in custom piston rings. Contact Keith Jones at Total Seal (623.587.7600) or you can also check with Akerly & Childs in Valencia, CA., Steve Lightbody of Roger McMartin (661.702.1999)
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

mag2555 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:21 pm Are they allowing 2 ring set ups in SS?
Modern ring technology has resulted in three ring packages that make as much, if not more, power than two ring packages. A low-tension Napier style second ring will not result in much more friction than elimination of the second ring altogether, PLUS the scraper action of the second ring will result in a much cleaner combustion chamber/crankcase . . . . . . . .
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

Well, either nobody knows anything about this or it is a trade secret that is requires top secret security clearance. I mean no disrespect, bit all I have heard is buy from total seal or reasons why it's too expensive to do. I'm not some guy in my back shed trying to modify ring with a chainsaw file and a drill press. I'm a very qualified 20 year experience in manufacturing with tools at my disposal. I have the ability and time to make tooling. I just would like to know what these modifications look like and maybe someone who has a little experience with it to comment. Any help would be appreciated.
KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Post by KnightEngines »

There was a post on here a while back talking about them.
They are not gas ported!
They have slots cut into the inside of the ring to reduce tension & improve conformability.
Short life span & potentially fragile.
Caprimaniac
Guru
Guru

Post by Caprimaniac »

After looking at TotalSeal website.

"Total Conform" piston rings.

is that what he's after?

Thay have radial cuts, like 1/8" apart or so (from the Picture) "Conform to the cylinder wall2 is what they claim.
How to turn GURU in an instant.....
Big bald guy

Post by Big bald guy »

tenxal
Expert
Expert

Post by tenxal »

cgarb wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:25 pm Well, either nobody knows anything about this or it is a trade secret that is requires top secret security clearance. I mean no disrespect, bit all I have heard is buy from total seal or reasons why it's too expensive to do. I'm not some guy in my back shed trying to modify ring with a chainsaw file and a drill press. I'm a very qualified 20 year experience in manufacturing with tools at my disposal. I have the ability and time to make tooling. I just would like to know what these modifications look like and maybe someone who has a little experience with it to comment. Any help would be appreciated.
Here's what they may be referencing. Total Seal has had these out for a bit, now. None of my NHRA Stock or Super Stock pals are using these. At least as far as I know.... :wink:

Ohio Rob

Post by Ohio Rob »

Total deal offers gas ported rings with horizontal slots in the top surface of the top ring.
A member here tuned me into these 2 weeks ago.
They provide a slot for combustion gas to get behind the rings and push them out and also reduce some of the tension.

Call total seal and they will tell you all about them.
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

tenxal wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:20 pm
cgarb wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:25 pm Well, either nobody knows anything about this or it is a trade secret that is requires top secret security clearance. I mean no disrespect, bit all I have heard is buy from total seal or reasons why it's too expensive to do. I'm not some guy in my back shed trying to modify ring with a chainsaw file and a drill press. I'm a very qualified 20 year experience in manufacturing with tools at my disposal. I have the ability and time to make tooling. I just would like to know what these modifications look like and maybe someone who has a little experience with it to comment. Any help would be appreciated.
Here's what they may be referencing. Total Seal has had these out for a bit, now. None of my NHRA Stock or Super Stock pals are using these. At least as far as I know.... :wink:

Thank you, That's what I was after. The super stock pal in question is not a top runner for sure. That's what why I was trying to if it was worth chasing my tail or not. I have spoke with total seal about rings and reducing friction with my set up. The recommended a back cut ring, and some filler material that goes behind the ring to eliminate the extra space there with a low tension oil ring. I'm not that keen on shim behind the ring and was investigating other options to remove mass from the ring and take some of the tension away.