Valve spring in use video

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

shoedoos
Expert
Expert

Valve spring in use video

Post by shoedoos »

I have seen other spintron and slo-mo videos of valve springs before....most appear to show the springs circulating while in motion - this video doesn't - anybody care to explain which is correct?

shoedoos
Expert
Expert

Re: Valve spring in use video

Post by shoedoos »

Like this one.....

Ken_Parkman
Expert
Expert

Post by Ken_Parkman »

It has to do with the way it is filmed. Using strobes to create slow motion works fine when the strobe is keyed to the item you are trying to get the slow motion action. However, it does not work for something in a different time cycle. So the strobe is keyed to the cam action and is reasonable, but the spinning is a cycle many multiples different. The only thing you know about the spring rotation the visual rate of spinning is wildly wrong.
Roundybout
Pro
Pro

Post by Roundybout »

All the meticulous machining, careful measurement of clearances and tolerances looks to go out the window when I see videos like these. I’m amazed an engine lasts 5 mins lol. That top spring doesn’t appear to be rotating or at least very slowly. I believe they need to spin for even seat and valve tip wear? Although looking at an out of control spring/valve like this video shows, even wear would be my last concern. I wish I could find the video of the guy who rigged a camera in a dry sump pan to film the crankshaft in motion. It looked like a wet noodle. :shock:
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

Both video can be correct.
Some turn some don't.

Angle and direction if winding of inner and outer can cancel each other.
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

See that the valve stem wobbles as well. Hm. Wonder about what wear that would induce.
Turbobuick6

Post by Turbobuick6 »

Ken_Parkman wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:37 pm It has to do with the way it is filmed. Using strobes to create slow motion works fine when the strobe is keyed to the item you are trying to get the slow motion action. However, it does not work for something in a different time cycle. So the strobe is keyed to the cam action and is reasonable, but the spinning is a cycle many multiples different. The only thing you know about the spring rotation the visual rate of spinning is wildly wrong.
This is exactly correct. The use of strobe lights creates an optical illusion that the springs are spinning at a high rate. Ne different than when you see a video of a helicopter that looks like the prop isn't spinning but it is in the air.....
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:59 pm Both video can be correct.
Some turn some don't.

Angle and direction if winding of inner and outer can cancel each other.
Here is a video showing rotation at higher rpms. The camera has a frame rate of course but clearly the rotation is present at some times and not others.

More fun: Radioactive tracers have been used to monitor piston ring rotation -- I believe they can rotate in different directions.

Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Ken_Parkman wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:37 pm It has to do with the way it is filmed. Using strobes to create slow motion works fine when the strobe is keyed to the item you are trying to get the slow motion action. However, it does not work for something in a different time cycle. So the strobe is keyed to the cam action and is reasonable, but the spinning is a cycle many multiples different. The only thing you know about the spring rotation the visual rate of spinning is wildly wrong.
Watch the props in the video -- frame rate.

Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
dannobee
Expert
Expert

Post by dannobee »

Regarding the spinning rings. One of my coworkers years ago was involved in one of those studies. The rings do, in fact, whip around like crazy when everything is round. When they stop spinning, it's usually because the cylinder is no longer round. If you pull the engine apart and find the rings "lined up," the bore needs some work.