Maximuim Pin to lock Clearance

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Kenny M
Maximuim Pin to lock Clearance

Post by Kenny M »

I am repairing a Mess of a 428 CJ engine. The engine was already built but never ran. I have never seen something this bad before.,but I won't go there. I believe he is a member here. Anyway The last problem that I found is the Piston to Pin Lock Clearance is .042 Autotech Pistons with wire lock and
.975-2700 130 Gram Pin. If I didn't already balance and torque plate the engine and have the crank in it., I would just replace the pistons and pins.
Does anyone know of a pin vender that may have the same pin in a 2.725? I understand the simple thing would be to call Racetec, but I do not do business with them anymore. I did call CP and I am waiting a call back. But I wanted to get you guys thoughts.

Thanks
Ken Maisano
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Re: Maximuim Pin to lock Clearance

Post by cgarb »

Any way to make or source a shim of some kind? What about not using clips and use buttons, either aluminum or nylon type. I saw that on a set of boss 302 pistons one time from Arias.
Charliesauto
Pro
Pro

Post by Charliesauto »

Kenny M wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:12 pm I am repairing a Mess of a 428 CJ engine. The engine was already built but never ran. I have never seen something this bad before.,but I won't go there. I believe he is a member here. Anyway The last problem that I found is the Piston to Pin Lock Clearance is .042 Autotech Pistons with wire lock and
.975-2700 130 Gram Pin. If I didn't already balance and torque plate the engine and have the crank in it., I would just replace the pistons and pins.
Does anyone know of a pin vender that may have the same pin in a 2.725? I understand the simple thing would be to call Racetec, but I do not do business with them anymore. I did call CP and I am waiting a call back. But I wanted to get you guys thoughts.

Thanks
Ken Maisano
Are you stating it has round wire locks? If so, you will not have a problem running it with .042" end play.
frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Post by frnkeore »

If it has a square corner groove, it may have been made to use double spiral locks.
DCal
Expert
Expert

Post by DCal »

I agree with Charlie, While its not the number that we're wanting to hear it's still OK. The round locks are usually the same wire diameter for .975, .980, .984 and .990 Lets say the wire is .072, the formula for the groove dia. is: pin diameter plus .072 plus .010=1.057 Would be different for .990
This 1.057 would put more than half of the wire below the wristpin bore and when the chamfered pin pushes on the lock it tries to expand the lock into its groove instead of pushing it out of the groove as a spiro loc would. I've seen this many times and have had ProStock guys actually request it several times..
Kenny M

Post by Kenny M »

DCal wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:17 am I agree with Charlie, While its not the number that we're wanting to hear it's still OK. The round locks are usually the same wire diameter for .975, .980, .984 and .990 Lets say the wire is .072, the formula for the groove dia. is: pin diameter plus .072 plus .010=1.057 Would be different for .990
This 1.057 would put more than half of the wire below the wristpin bore and when the chamfered pin pushes on the lock it tries to expand the lock into its groove instead of pushing it out of the groove as a spiro loc would. I've seen this many times and have had ProStock guys actually request it several times..
Yes it is Round wire locks. CP Says they like a maximum of .025 They are getting me the correct length pins. Like you guys stated, they said its not right, but probably would not be a problem using it. But I would rather not take the chance . It will also have a very quit exhaust system . Very rare 1968.5 Black Cougar . Thanks for all your help..
BlitzA64
Expert
Expert

Post by BlitzA64 »

I would imagine Trend could do that if you still need to find a supplier
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Kenny M wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:19 pm
DCal wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:17 am I agree with Charlie, While its not the number that we're wanting to hear it's still OK. The round locks are usually the same wire diameter for .975, .980, .984 and .990 Lets say the wire is .072, the formula for the groove dia. is: pin diameter plus .072 plus .010=1.057 Would be different for .990
Yes it is Round wire locks. CP Says they like a maximum of .025 They are getting me the correct length pins. Like you guys stated, they said its not right, but probably would not be a problem using it. But I would rather not take the chance . It will also have a very quit exhaust system . Very rare 1968.5 Black Cougar . Thanks for all your help..
Quiet exhaust? Are we thinking the extra pin-to-lock clearance is going to produce audible noise?
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Jack,

He might be trying to give us a hint as to who owns it???

pdq67
Mark O'Neal
Guru
Guru

Post by Mark O'Neal »

.042 is fine.

The standard is .020 to .040...and I wouldn't ask another manufacturer about Autotec's specifications.
Kenny M

Post by Kenny M »

PackardV8 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:35 pm
Kenny M wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:19 pm
Quiet exhaust? Are we thinking the extra pin-to-lock clearance is going to produce audible noise?
Yes on a mechanical noise level.. I seriously doubt it, but why take the chance when you are not comfortable with something and its a easy fix.