Moderator: Team

fishman
Expert
Expert

Melling pump choice

Post by fishman »

Good Evening
I have a sbc dart (little m)block drag motor 7000 rpm
I’m in the process of rebuilding. The motor has a melling 10555 pump in it and it fell off the bench and broke one of the ears. I have another pump here (used) it is a melling 10552c pump, it looks in really good shape. The 10555 pump is 25% increase in flow over stock and the 10552 is 10% over stock . My question is as with a dart block I’ve heard concerns about oiling issues, I’m using dart coated cam bearings , will the 10552 pump be sufficient flow for my use, also was thinking about using the high pressure spring( realize that would compromise flow)

Thanks
[IMG]http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f29/fishman1/S7300198-1.jpg[/IMG]
pdq67
Guru
Guru
Re: Melling pump choice

Post by pdq67 »

I forget what the old Melling oil pump part number is that has the, "stronger", "post", vs the newer one with the thin one that might break in use but I would use one of them and the stock spring because our 1st Gen. SBC blocks have about the best oiling design going!

So why mess with it.

Put a 3/8" nut on the pick-up flat and set the pick-up to pan clearance and go. Oh, spot-weld the pick up to the pump after removing the spring so you don't happen to heat set it.

As always, jmho.

pdq67
novafornow
Pro
Pro

Post by novafornow »

10552ST is what I run in my little M and I could not be happier. I would recommend this first to anyone.
Orr89rocz
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Orr89rocz »

I ran the 10552 +10% volume in my shp block turbo motor and it was good. Plenty volume to feed external cooler and twin turbos
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

Since this is about Melling oil pumps, could I ask about the stock SBC M55 pump, that comes with the light green spring. What is the pressure rating when using this spring? Thanks.