How much zddp

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Little Mouse
Expert
Expert
How much zddp

Post by Little Mouse »

So down the road when I do get to crank my engine with solid flat tappet my plan is to use lucas brake in oil that is supposed to have 3600 zinc. Then switch over to a 20w 50 synthetic with somewhere in the 1300 to 1400 range of zddp maybe amsoil will have that or mobile 1. Have sort of convinced myself synthetic oil is better then dino. But lucas has a dino oil 20w 50 that's 2100 zinc. I'm I placing to much importance on zinc and is there a point that to much is a bad thing.
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Re: How much zddp

Post by Geoff2 »

Why not use the break in oil...because it is for breaking in new engines. Unless the label instruction says to add an extra ingredient, why would you?

Every oil company info I have seen tells you NOT to add anything to their oils, assuming you have selected the correct oil for the purpose at hand.
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

VR1 synthetic is available in 20-50

i think it's important you use an oil that's good for flat tappets, if you have flat tappets
tho the exact% of Zddp it has in it IMO, is less important.
tenxal
Expert
Expert

Post by tenxal »

After initially running the engine in with a proper break in oil (the Lucas break in is good), you're going to want a oil with at least 2,000 ppm of zinc for a flat tappet setup...whether it's synthetic or conventional. Forget about any snake oil additives and just use a properly formulated oil. Valvoline VR-1 and Red Line are two brands I can recommend but there are other good ones. The 20W50 thing is puzzling, though.... :?:
Last edited by tenxal on Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
rp930
Pro
Pro

Post by rp930 »

As stated above Valvoline VR1. Forget the additives.
68corvette
Pro
Pro

Post by 68corvette »

tenxal wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:56 am After initially running the engine in with a proper break in oil (the Lucas break in is good), you're going to want a oil with at least 2,000 ppm of zinc for a flat tappet setup...whether it's synthetic or conventional. Forget about any snake oil additives and just use a properly formulated oil. Valvoline VR-1 and Red Line are two brands I can recommend but there are other good ones. The 20W50 thing is puzzling, though.... :?:
VR1 has about 1200ppm ZDDP.
novafornow
Pro
Pro

Post by novafornow »

Suggest Driven GP-1. Looks like it is perfect for a flat tapper application
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

For all our flat tappet cams, we recommend PennGrade 1 Break-in oil, then switch to PennGrade 1 Partial Synthetic High Performance Oil.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
Little Mouse
Expert
Expert

Post by Little Mouse »

No not interested in adding anything to oil just plenty of zddp in the oil after I switch away from the lucas break in oil. Only thing I have seen mentioned about zddp it can be corrosive so maybe very high amounts not so good. Lucas makes several regular mineral oil that are 2100 zddp then what they call extreme marine is just over 3000. Then they make a strait 70 weight probably for top fuel engines that's 5600 zddp. Mobile 1 has there classic car and hot rod oil, amsoil has there Z rod that are fairly high in zddp.
Little Mouse
Expert
Expert

Post by Little Mouse »

Where can I get penngrade oil ? While your on here can you make a solid flat tappet cam that has the LS firing order and is it true that firing order is supposed to be better for the crankshaft and bearings ?
Last edited by Little Mouse on Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449
n2omike
Guru
Guru

Post by n2omike »

CamKing wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:18 pm https://penngrade1.com/where-to-buy/
Penngrade is also available through Summit. Penngrade also sells a decent GL4 90W gear oil... Reasonably priced as well.

I've always used Mobil 1 15w50 synthetic in all my flat tappet and air cooled (yard/motorcycle) engines. Have used it for decades. It's the only Mobil 1 grade that has a good ZDDP content at 1300 ppm. Can usually pick it up at Advance Auto. 5 quarts with a Mobil 1 filter is often on sale for around $35. Can sometimes find 5 quart jugs at Walmart for around $28.
Last edited by n2omike on Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Little Mouse
Expert
Expert

Post by Little Mouse »

Competition sales in north dallas area 12.5 miles south of me I can live with that. Summit racing put a big warehouse/store in Arlington tx about same distance from me. Almost everything I have bought has been with summit.
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

BTW, the PennGrade 1 partial synthetic has a zinc content of 1,500ppm, and a phosphorus is around 1,400ppm.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

n2omike wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:27 pm I've always used Mobil 1 15w50 synthetic in all my flat tappet and air cooled (yard/motorcycle) engines. Have used it for decades. It's the only Mobil 1 grade that has a good ZDDP content at 1300 ppm. Can usually pick it up at Advance Auto. 5 quarts with a Mobil 1 filter is often on sale for around $35. Can sometimes find 5 quart jugs at Walmart for around $28.
There's a few really good "Off the Shelf" oils out there. I don't recommend them, because the large companies have a history of changing an oil's formula, without ever telling anyone. There's a much smaller risk of that happening with a "Not for on-road use" oil.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449