Second compression ring iron ?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

enigma57
Guru
Guru

Re: Second compression ring iron ?

Post by enigma57 »

Thanks, Bill. I'll investigate further and see if I can come up with some NOS Grant graphite rings.

Yeah, Auggie was quite a character. He would run all sorts of trick stuff on the drivers side and have the passenger side (easier side to pull a head) set up to pass inspection if the tech inspector had him pull a head. First time I met him in person, he had brought a couple of spare engines with him to the drag strip in San Antonio and was changing engines to run another class. I remember Auggie picking up his battery with one hand as f it were a football.

My buddy John and I were juniours in high school that year and we were fairly stout. So we volunteered to help with the engine swap between rounds. Auggie pulled the hood and radiator off his '56 Chevy and put a chain on the engine. When he was ready, he ran a length of 2" schedule 80 galvanized pipe through the chain and laid it across the fenders on shop rags. He got on the passenger side of the car and John and I squatted down on the other side with the pipe on our shoulders, stood up and walked the old engine out and set it on a trailer about 20 ft. away.

Then after he had pulled the bellhousing and bolted it onto the fresh engine, we reversed the procedure and set the new engine down on the mounts. A couple of guys got on the other side of the pipe and we held it there until Auggie had the bellhousing sidemounts tight. Auggie turned the wrenches. He wasn't about to let anyone else put a wrench on his engine. We thought it was really cool to help out. The whole swap took less than an hour. Then he set up everything the way he wanted it and we got to see the '56 run in another class. G Gas I think.

Best regards,

Harry
Mark O'Neal
Guru
Guru

Post by Mark O'Neal »

modok wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:20 pm I don't see how it would work better to make it ductile iron instead of the CORRECT alloy of iron.

If you went to steel the ring could be maybe 10% lighter, but ductile iron....no advantage
You could shatter an iron ring if you detonate it hard enough. Used to see it in Top Fuel motors back in the day.

Of course, if you rattle the can that hard, the rings will likely be the least of your problems. :D :D
Mark O'Neal
Guru
Guru

Post by Mark O'Neal »

modok wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:15 pm Grant is still going. Go to website Download the catalog.
If you can ever get out there, go see Grant's factory. It has to be the most fascinating thing I have ever seen in this industry.