valve angle vs timming

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

jed
HotPass
HotPass

valve angle vs timming

Post by jed »

One of the younger employees made a statement the other day about cylinder head valve angle and how it relates to timming.He said the steaper the valve angle i.e. 23' vs a 11' valve angle you have to run more timming in the 23' head.
It got me to thinking that once the intake valve was closed the combustion space doesn't know or care what the valve angle is.
timming is more related to chamber size and efficiency of the chamber than the valve angle.
Am I wrong???
dannobee
Expert
Expert
Re: valve angle vs timming

Post by dannobee »

Valve included angle has no correlation to ignition timing. Required ignition timing is primarily related to combustion chamber size and shape, although swirl and tumble come into the picture too. And exhaust scavenging.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

jed wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:17 pm One of the younger employees made a statement the other day about cylinder head valve angle and how it relates to timming.He said the steaper the valve angle i.e. 23' vs a 11' valve angle you have to run more timming in the 23' head.
It got me to thinking that once the intake valve was closed the combustion space doesn't know or care what the valve angle is.
timming is more related to chamber size and efficiency of the chamber than the valve angle.
Am I wrong???
Many factors ...
Shape of the combustion chamber
Diameter of the combustion chamber
combustion chamber turbulence
compression ratio
piston dome topography
quench area & distance
spark plug location
and I am sure there are some other factors
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
digger
Guru
Guru

Post by digger »

The shallower valve angle allows changes to the chamber size and shape which is what affects things.
frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Post by frnkeore »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:17 pm
jed wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:17 pm One of the younger employees made a statement the other day about cylinder head valve angle and how it relates to timming.He said the steaper the valve angle i.e. 23' vs a 11' valve angle you have to run more timming in the 23' head.
Am I wrong???
Many factors ...
Shape of the combustion chamber
Diameter of the combustion chamber
combustion chamber turbulence
compression ratio
piston dome topography
quench area & distance
spark plug location
and I am sure there are some other factors
It seems that we might also add rod length or at least rod ratio.
steve316
Expert
Expert

Post by steve316 »

spark plug location in the chamber has more effect than valve angle on timing.
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

His comment/ statement assumes possibly wrongly that with any motor as the valve head becomes more parallel to the Pistons the chamber becomes a more burn efficient shape.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!