blown alcohol

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Re: blown alcohol

Post by prairiehotrodder »

I bought a book called " How to build blown alcohol engines" by Paul Chirayath. The book takes the perspective of building a 2000 - 3000 hp funny car engine. It follows along on the build of a Ford SOHC 427 in a dragster. Some may like it but i didn't find it real helpful. Its all black and white pictures and i was more interested in building a reliable 1500 hp BBC. Just thought i would pass along my take on the book. Its at least a good place to start reading and there doesn't seem to be many books out there.
Brian
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com
rustbucket79
Guru
Guru
Re: blown alcohol

Post by rustbucket79 »

Sportsman stuff we shoot for 11, maybe 11.5:1, the higher the compression the narrower the tuning window.

The aftermarket block really benefits from the added head bolt holes, there is a weak area on stock blocks where there is a large span woithout a head bolt on each bank. A 4.500 bore leaves lots of cylinder wall thickness and a decent clamping area for the head gaskets between the cylinders.

If you want to get really spicy, aluminum rods and a double keyed hub should be considered necessities.

Good luck!!