FE 427 side oiler block value?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

apm
FE 427 side oiler block value?

Post by apm »

I have just been given a FE Ford 427 side oiler block , it was part of an old Holman and Moody race engine , screw in water plugs, cross bolted main etc etc ,unfortunately it isnt in real good shape , lots of rust in the water jackets and some holes in the bores . I can repair this block no problem with sleeves etc but I'm just unsure if it's worth the time , effort and cost of repair. If repaired and in good usable condition what would this block be worth ??? Just need to way up cost versus return
Thanks
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Re: FE 427 side oiler block value?

Post by ProPower engines »

apm wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:03 pm I have just been given a FE Ford 427 side oiler block , it was part of an old Holman and Moody race engine , screw in water plugs, cross bolted main etc etc ,unfortunately it isnt in real good shape , lots of rust in the water jackets and some holes in the bores . I can repair this block no problem with sleeves etc but I'm just unsure if it's worth the time , effort and cost of repair. If repaired and in good usable condition what would this block be worth ??? Just need to way up cost versus return
Thanks
They all came with screw in block plugs. Is it possible you just have a marine block being really rusty in the cooling jacket areas. They were used with no heat exchanger system just raw water the boat sat in to cool the engine.
The marine stuff for the most part as solid lifter as was the race stuff. There is some Hyd. lifter blocks as well as some that have been drilled for hyd. lifters as well.
Good way to check is look for oil galleries the length of the block through the lifter bores for oil feed to lifters if Hyd. block.

Unless you can document the H&M details as they had their logo stamped into there engines in specific areas.
They are worth more $$$ to top collectors of HM stuff.

But if it sonic checks good bare block is worth about$1500-$2000 or $2500 USD depending on the casting number for resto guys at least thats what we are paying up here anyway
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
apm

Post by apm »

Thanks that's exactly the info I was after, I'll clean it and check for the logo , I'm only going on the customers say so as to its origin at the moment , I'll check and see if it is solid or hydraulic also , thanks again for the info
tenxal
Expert
Expert

Post by tenxal »

What's the casting number on the block? C7JE-A, C5JE-D, C7JE-E, C6JE-B are a few.
apm

Post by apm »

Casting number is C7AE-A , on the front right hand side of the block, near the deck ,there is the number 7HM168 stamped into it , engine number maybe ?
Also checked and it's a solid lifter block , no galleries in the lifter bores
Joe-71
Pro
Pro

Post by Joe-71 »

Value will be affected by how many sleeves it needs, and if they are adjacent to each other. More sleeves, less value, more than two side by side, less valve. Joe-71
Joe-71
apm

Post by apm »

It's pretty bad , I was considering fitting a full set of Darton flanged sleeves, I own an engine machine shop, so doing the work is no problem but still if it's not going to be worth much I wont spend the time , it doesnt owe me anything so if I dont do it it's no problem was just wondering if it was rare and old enough to be worth some good money to make the effort worth while
Thanks
tenxal
Expert
Expert

Post by tenxal »

apm wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:21 pm It's pretty bad , I was considering fitting a full set of Darton flanged sleeves, I own an engine machine shop, so doing the work is no problem but still if it's not going to be worth much I wont spend the time , it doesnt owe me anything so if I dont do it it's no problem was just wondering if it was rare and old enough to be worth some good money to make the effort worth while. Thanks
C7AE-A is a '67 side oiler and/or marine block.

A good market for the block is with NHRA Stock and Super Stock racers. For example, the combos that use the 4.050 bore 390's often use 4.230 bore 427 blocks and fit them with thick sleeves to add cylinder rigidity. It's better to sell it as-is and let the end user sleeve it for his use.

Class Racer is an excellent site for NHRA Stock and Super Stock racers and fans. Their Classified section is a good one.

http://classracer.com/classforum/index.php
Joe-71
Pro
Pro

Post by Joe-71 »

If it needs a full set of sleeves, then it is not worth the cost to machine and sleeves. The integrity of the block is lost unless you can lock the sleeves at the top and insure it pressure tests ok. Several folks have tried the 8 sleeves, and it almost always fails. Joe-71
Joe-71
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

FWIW....I ran a sideoiler in my dirt cars for several years. Had one with 7 sleeves that never gave an ounce of trouble.
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
apm

Post by apm »

If done correctly I thought it should be fine , I just put 8 darton flanged sleeves into a Cleveland and they are notorious for thin bores , I have fitted 8 iron repair sleeves to many a block and had no issues , I dont see there being an issue with the FE block , but at the end of it if the investment is more than or equal to the value of the block then I will just leave it
n2omike
Guru
Guru

Post by n2omike »

apm wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:07 am If done correctly I thought it should be fine , I just put 8 darton flanged sleeves into a Cleveland and they are notorious for thin bores , I have fitted 8 iron repair sleeves to many a block and had no issues , I dont see there being an issue with the FE block , but at the end of it if the investment is more than or equal to the value of the block then I will just leave it
If you can do it yourself... and are only in it for the cost of your time and the sleeves... I say go for it. Sounds like you have the ability to do it right... and there is ALWAYS a strong market for 427 sideoiler blocks.
My427stang
Expert
Expert

Post by My427stang »

I am with Joe above, but lots of good advice here.

- If you stab a bunch of sleeves in there, somebody may buy it because they want a 427, but anyone who knows the side oiler blocks won't want it for anything that makes big power. Depends how many and where
- Some racers may like all of them at a sleeved 428 or 390 bore, but I am not sure that's a big market either

You may get 2000-2500 for that one guy,especially dolled up in fresh paint, but I likely wouldn't use it for one of my builds. If done nice, I may use it at an underbore if you could run a very thin wall sleeve. Keep in mind, my personal center oiler stroker has a twice windowed pan rail and multiple sleeves, PLUS, it's been at 489 inches since 2006 without so much as a whimper from the old mongrel, so I am not afraid of old stuff, but the side oilers have a slightly different, and thinner, cylinder design
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
Plattsmouth, NE
70 Mustang, 489 FE, TKO-600, Massflo SEFI, 4.11s
71 F100 SB 4x4, 461 FE, 4 speed, port injected EFI, 3.50s