Trying to salvage a 400 sb 'update'

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

The Iceman

Trying to salvage a 400 sb 'update'

Post by The Iceman »

Salvage 400 update: 66 SS
    Compression: Note: trying to get the compression up to 9.75/1 (worried about the quench being so low with the stock dish pistons I believe the are 25cc) (oh found some old compression readings 140, 145, 150, 150, 152, 150 and two I couldn't get to.)
      Heads: The 49 Iron Eagles only ended up being 53cc, but we cut off 1cc so (.006) (I guess that is normal for heads to be that far off???)
        Crank: - took it in to get balanced the guy said its been blown before. One of the weights took an impact and the rear thrust part (not sure if i'm saying that right) of the crank has been welded on/repaired (not perfect but you could see and it had been welded on) But has been running for 6 years.
          Block: getting it decked but asked not to cut over .010 (hope I have that right) worried about the intake fitting since we took off .006 of the heads.
            Rods: -Bought ARP bolts for mains, caps and heads. The machine shop talked me into re-sizing the Rods since I put ARP studs in . (80 bucks) Says it distorts them when pressed in. (not sure of that, used a press and a aluminum block with hole in it. )
              Cam: went with COMP Cams SK12-246-3 Xtreme Energy 230/236
              Old Cam says on the end 114822 11-45 01 (on back of the cam I found a 0288 D1) If anyone can figure out what this cam is I'd appreciate it!
              Note: found a howards cam with that number but there is no way it had that lift. (new cam has about .010 more lift at 0.487"/0.490")
                Wait time: during wait time, removed dash/steering wheel and painting both and should be dry by tomorrow. Thinking about dancing again to make money for new dash pad, SS guages and new turn signal switch! \:D/ lolol

Original post:

Just FYI, I haven't built an engine since 84 (383) so take it easy on me!
                So I have 66SS with 406 with 700r4 and 411s & 750 holley, 1.6 roller rockers (many owners)
                So not knowing anything about the motor other than it ran ok but missing power I removed the double hump heads (54cc) to find out it has dish pistons 40cc (did the plexiglass across the top and a syringe to both). So my question is if I throw a set of Dart iron eagle 49cc 215s on it and get it to 9.5/1 will it still run decent? Just not sure about those pistons? (no money to replace them!)
                CGT
                Guru
                Guru
                Re: Trying to salvage a 400 sb 'update'

Post by CGT »

You basically have no quench with the stock 400 piston. So I wouldn't get too hung up on that. I've seen more than a few things run pretty good with that style of dish piston. I've also seen more than a few 400 cranks with messed up thrusts...

Provided your engine has decent enough ring seal, it should run pretty good.
                mag2555
                Guru
                Guru
                Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

Never question the need for getting the Rods resized after new bolts are installed!

A welded on cast Crank other then tack welding for balancing weight retension is a iffy proposition!

Having a combined total mill of even .025" off the deck and heads should not make for Intake Manifold fittment issues, nor head bolt fittment issues.
                You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
                bigfoot584
                Pro
                Pro

Post by bigfoot584 »

Pop a set 5.7 rods in it and mill .125 off piston tops, old
                70's - 80's trick to help cost then.
                Careful to check them 49cc heads for valve clearance on a 350
                I wasn't able to get .520 valve lift with out valves striking pistons,
                if you don't know valves sit at a different angle than stock 23 deg.
                heads, I believe it's 21 or 22 deg. ( just a warning), you could recut
                the notches if need to get the clearance needed.