11/32 beehive retainer

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

mark gummo
Pro
Pro

11/32 beehive retainer

Post by mark gummo »

I have a comp 26995 spring with a 787 beehive retainer for an 11/32 valve but need more installed height. Does anyone know of a +.050-.100 etc to gain more clearance? I am using the stock ford 4 groove locks and they seem thicker than standard 7 degree locks so the retainer sits low on the locks.

Has anyone ground off the top groove to make a three groove just curious?
turbo5.0 240sx
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Re: 11/32 beehive retainer

Post by ProPower engines »

Why not just drop the spring seat .050 rather then fuss with BS lock mods?? The 4 groove locks are a PITA as there is no other way to gain installed height except machining the spring seats down. Sonic check the spring seat area to confirm but .050 is not much but on a stock head I would not go more then .050
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

I would give comp a call on that and I would also seriously concider getting those stock type valves out of those heads.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
mark gummo
Pro
Pro

Post by mark gummo »

The engine is already rebuilt and together and running so i was trying to find a solution.

Why do the stock valves have to go?
turbo5.0 240sx
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

mark gummo wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:28 am The engine is already rebuilt and together and running so i was trying to find a solution.

Why do the stock valves have to go?
If they are the stock type 7 degree retainer and lock just the 4 groove type swap the retainer to suit what you need.
They are like the dodge 4 groove with smaller stem.
I would be talking with some one that builds retainers to get the details you need.
What specific amount are you in need of gaining?/ + .050 or is it .100?? Is there a rocker clearance issue with an off set retainer to deal with??
More info would help
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
mark gummo
Pro
Pro

Post by mark gummo »

I found some +.050 retainers that should work. I also just cut the groove one notch higher in the valve to raise the lock up. It appears it will work with the +.050 retainer and the lock moved up one notch.
turbo5.0 240sx
dondon

Post by dondon »

I used some plus .050 keepers on my BBC, Later when I went to adjust the lash I found a couple of the keepers broke. Any longer and I would of sucked a valve. Ask my engine guy and he said that the plus .050's had a tendency to break.
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

The four groove Ford keepers will work with a 3/8" seven degree retainer if you can find one that will match your spring.

About the valves, if OEM style, they are two piece and are subject to failure. Know this from first hand experience.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

To add to the above life comment, any nicks in the tip and keeper area of the valve will be a death sentence for that valve at some point.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
mark gummo
Pro
Pro

Post by mark gummo »

It's a ford 2.3 turbo and the valves seem to hold up pretty well to 30+psi of boost and lots of abuse. The only way i can get the installed height correct without taking it all apart is to remove the top groove on the 4 groove locks and moving it up a groove but i don't have a good feeling about it.

I see the newer hemis use a small 3 groove lock so maybe it would work i'm not sure i want to risk it. I was hoping to find a dirt track guy that did it but can't come up with anything.

If i have to take it apart i am going to use the 7mm valves and put guides in the head as it saves half a pound of valve train weight including the rockers etc.
turbo5.0 240sx
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

mark gummo wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:12 amIf i have to take it apart i am going to use the 7mm valves and put guides in the head as it saves half a pound of valve train weight including the rockers etc.
Do the math and talk to some head shops. For some applications, an 8mm silicon bronze guide liner can be used in an 11/32" guide. That's an option if cost is a factor. Since the LS is 8mm, there is an infinite selection of inexpensive valves and beehive springs.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
mark gummo
Pro
Pro

Post by mark gummo »

Thanks guys. I have the 2.5 ford 7mm valve train stuff ready to go and it will go right in with the springs and retainers i found. If it is coming apart i will just put guides in the 11/32 head and run the 7mm stuff.
turbo5.0 240sx
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

mark gummo wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:12 am It's a ford 2.3 turbo and the valves seem to hold up pretty well to 30+psi of boost and lots of abuse.
My previous post was based on experience with 4V Clevelands in racing application. When required by rules to run OEM style valves, I would change them after 75 quarter mile passes. I lost three engines that had less than 150 passes due to intake valve head separation.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine