Over Machined intake Manifold Help

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

fomocosteve
Over Machined intake Manifold Help

Post by fomocosteve »

Hi, I have an intake manifold I'm going to attempt to fit tomorrow (Super Victor) onto a 220 AFR headed 414 Windsor stroker. The inlet was bought secondhand and I was told it was port matched to AFR 220 heads. I noticed while cleaning it today that it appears to have been machined quite a bit at the mating surfaces, and I'm wondering if anyone has some tips for fitting if the manifold is over machined. PS, The engine is at a machine shop so I can't check fitment today because they're closed, and the machinist left for an overseas holiday today, and tomorrow is the only chance I have to put the intake manifold on it before I take it to get Dyno'd the next day.

So far I'm thinking of using two sets of intake gasket's with grey RTV, and doubling up on the valley cork gaskets with liberal amounts of grey RTV, so what i'm wondering is, what potential problems will I have, and how might I overcome them, or is what I'm thinking of doing going to be fine.

Cheer's, Steve
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Re: Over Machined intake Manifold Help

Post by mag2555 »

The easiest thing to do if you have the porting tools, and the Intake Manifold flange is not more then 1/16" bigger then the head flange is to just open up the head flange to match the top of the Manifold.

The rework does not have to be polished out as long as it's even ruffness.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
fomocosteve

Post by fomocosteve »

Hmm, the bolt holes may need elongating, if the manifold sits lower, maybe the top of the manifold intake ports would sit lower, so if I ported the top of the intake ports on the manifold it might align :-k Thanks, for the reply :D
amc fan
Expert
Expert

Post by amc fan »

I used Cometic .187 thick on an intake that was machined really hard. Worked very well.
BlitzA64
Expert
Expert

Post by BlitzA64 »

I have used 1/8" gaskets before, also you can make aluminum spacers if it is real bad.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Bring one of the inexpensive flexible fiber optic bore scopes. With one of these you can see the extent of the port misalignment. FWIW, worry more about getting a seal on all the surfaces than the gnat's-ass of port alignment. A bit off here or there most likely won't make a noticeable difference. Think about the mismatch between BBC square and rectangle manifolds and ports which are way off and still make good power.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
fomocosteve

Post by fomocosteve »

Okay, thanks guys :D , i'm off to give it a crack.
cv67
Guru
Guru

Post by cv67 »

sure you know mr gasket and others sell thicker gaskets so you dont have to stack em.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

He, He!!

I liked the picture of an 11" high or so deck BBC that had something like 2" thick hard maple spacers here!!

As well as whatever they used to seal the, "China walls", with.

pdq67
Racer71
Pro
Pro

Post by Racer71 »

Use right stuff sealant if the ends are fairly high above the block, it will actually cure up to 1” gap unlike regular silicones.
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

I had a case once where I had to use a "thin" Mr Gasket on one side and a thick on on the other side in order for things to line up.
Whatever it takes!
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

I've had close to .300 thick intake gaskets before. I get kind of picky about getting the manifold to fit as best as it can. Assuming the ports are the same size in the manifold and head, or the manifold slightly smaller....I usually mock the manifold up using feeler gauges, paint sticks, or whatever I can find of various thicknesses at 4 corners until I get the roof lined up.

You can use a bore scope to see the inner part of the outer runners if you want, but you should have plenty good visibility through that manifold. Measure the thickness of the shims you used to get things lined up, and order gasket(s) from cometic of the correct thickness, you can add a little for compression of the gasket, and sometimes it takes a couple or 3 glued together to get it right...If you have a ton of space at the end rail at this point, order some end rail spacers in the correct thickness from Peterson and fit those.

Getting a manifold to fit real good can be a project...and I usually put the time in to get it there. But then again, I am usually messing with stuff that I expect more out of than the commonly mentioned Rec port manifold-oval port head thing.
BlitzA64
Expert
Expert

Post by BlitzA64 »

Use right stuff sealant if the ends are fairly high above the block, it will actually cure up to 1” gap unlike regular silicones.
I have made aluminum spacers for this application as well. Drilled and tapped the manifold and mounted with flat head screws, silicone in between.