My Headache 350 SBC

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

econo racer
Expert
Expert
Re: My Headache 350 SBC

Post by econo racer »

Rainmaker it has been a while since I messed with it. I am pretty sure I used a summit double roller. It might have had 3 keyways. I always just put the set on normal no advancing or nothing special. Straight up.
the rain maker

Post by the rain maker »

econo racer wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:16 pm Rainmaker it has been a while since I messed with it. I am pretty sure I used a summit double roller. It might have had 3 keyways. I always just put the set on normal no advancing or nothing special. Straight up.
Its probably a long shot but check the timing marks to make sure they are lined up correctly. Some of those crankshaft gears have a mark above the key way denoting -4, straight up, or +4 and a corresponding timing mark to match(6 total). I have seen the timing marks lined up with the crankshaft keyway instead of the actual timing mark on the crankshaft gear.
David Hammons
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

the rain maker wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:42 am
econo racer wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:16 pm Rainmaker it has been a while since I messed with it. I am pretty sure I used a summit double roller. It might have had 3 keyways. I always just put the set on normal no advancing or nothing special. Straight up.
Its probably a long shot but check the timing marks to make sure they are lined up correctly. Some of those crankshaft gears have a mark above the key way denoting -4, straight up, or +4 and a corresponding timing mark to match(6 total). I have seen the timing marks lined up with the crankshaft keyway instead of the actual timing mark on the crankshaft gear.
:oops: Yep, did that as a kid. Admitting your mistakes is not fun, but I hope it keeps someone else from doing the same thing. Mine was a 9 key way deal. So many key ways and marks I got mixed up.

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

If the valves truly hit the pistons, it was out of time in my opinion. That cam would clear in that combination with a piston that had no valve reliefs at all.
novafornow
Pro
Pro

Post by novafornow »

I will confess as well. 16 yrs old, bought a 1968 Nova SS (4.11, 4 speed) with a blown engine for $300.00. My first assembly attempt. Bent half of the valves and half of the push rods. Went and bought a degree wheel and never just "lined up marks" again if avoidable. Multiple keyways and marks can get a novice in trouble.
jeff swisher
Guru
Guru

Post by jeff swisher »

My old friend that has been building and racing cars for decades miffed his vintage Hemi cam timing.
No bent valves but it would not start either.

You must go really big and early closing intake to hit the pistons in a SBc.

And .028" is not too close.
I ran .028" for a few years in a 350" pistons were .013" down the hole I ran a .015" head gasket Angle milled 186 double humps A .030" flat cut and a .030" angle cut on the heads chambers finished out at 54cc.
I ran 1.94-1.50 valves and 270H cam for starters. I seen many pulls past 7000 RPM No issues.
Long skirt old USA made 345NP cast pistons.

245 PSI cranking pressure.

Nothing ever hit.
Broke a bunch of stock 10 bolt rearends and a B&M converter died as did a Boss Hog and a TCI.
They were all the cheap version converters.
I drove it like I stole it.
I still have that short block.. it is in it's 4th vehicle now..I do run a .039 gasket now as I noticed Zero difference when I tried a thicker gasket.

Well one difference did result..It was not as finicky on the tune with the .039" gasket when the weather changes to HOT weather.