Oil expander ring sets

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

1972ho
Guru
Guru
Oil expander ring sets

Post by 1972ho »

Do you all know,are have you tried to install a expander oil ring set from say a set of piston that are ..060 ever into a piston oil groove that is .040 over both having the same axial and radial sizes, I guess what I want to know does the expander oil sets come in different sizes to certain point.
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Re: Oil expander ring sets

Post by engineguyBill »

Yes, the expanders are designed for specific bore sizes, therefore the expander for a .040" oversize oil ring assembly will be (or might be) a different size (length) than the expander for a .060" oversize oil ring assembly. The ring engineer may even specify a different oil ring rail thickness (lateral) for each oversize, OR they may all use the same thickness oil rail. Oil ring design is pretty much a scientific endeavor.
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
Mark O'Neal
Guru
Guru

Post by Mark O'Neal »

Put the expander in the bore and let it overlap. If it's between a half a segment and a segment and a half, you can run it.
LSP
Pro
Pro

Post by LSP »

1972ho wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:00 pm Do you all know,are have you tried to install a expander oil ring set from say a set of piston that are ..060 ever into a piston oil groove that is .040 over both having the same axial and radial sizes, I guess what I want to know does the expander oil sets come in different sizes to certain point.
What width oil ring do you have?