General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

MELWAY
Guru
Guru

Re: New lifters on the way !!

Post by MELWAY »

bob460 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:08 pm
I totally respect Bob books badass racing engine. But I don’t think any of them run for hours and hours. I have street guys that put near 100 hrs a year on their solid roller .750” lift street cars
[/quote]

True but your street car guys are not making 1100-1200hp........9000-10000rpm either.

100 hrs......is what maybe 8-10,000km, that's not too bad for 800hp service life.........lifters are just a consumable and with valve springs they should be replace more often then other parts.

What valve springs pressure you running in them?
[/quote]

But my guys want 3+ years out of them. Lol

I have found once you go much over 700lb open the life of a needle bearing is reduced a lot. Around 680lb open lasts much longer
I just put some black mambas in a sbf. And some isky ezx in a bbc. Will see how far these go on the street
3370lb Sedan 9.89@136MPH 358chevN/A
bob460
Expert
Expert

Post by bob460 »

MELWAY wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:30 am
bob460 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:08 pm

I totally respect Bob books badass racing engine. But I don’t think any of them run for hours and hours. I have street guys that put near 100 hrs a year on their solid roller .750” lift street cars
True but your street car guys are not making 1100-1200hp........9000-10000rpm either.

100 hrs......is what maybe 8-10,000km, that's not too bad for 800hp service life.........lifters are just a consumable and with valve springs they should be replace more often then other parts.

What valve springs pressure you running in them?

But my guys want 3+ years out of them. Lol

I have found once you go much over 700lb open the life of a needle bearing is reduced a lot. Around 680lb open lasts much longer
I just put some black mambas in a sbf. And some isky ezx in a bbc. Will see how far these go on the street
[/quote]
[/quote]

Your guys are ball breakers....lol

Have you looked into the comp cams dual conical spring?
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

MELWAY wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:28 pm
bob460 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:04 am
Must be a reason why NASCAR don't use the!!

I'd rather take a chance on the black mamba or evo lifters before bushed lifters.

Bob Book runs needle bearings lifters and never had a fail WHY?............ONE of the baddest small block engine builders going around.
I realize its kinda apples and oranges but at this time I have a BBC 502 Marine engine that came this morning with over 500 Hrs on it used in a charter boat. For freshen up and some head work cause it was used with too much weight in the stern and sucked a bit of salt water but it was done quite some time ago. Used almost daily for years it had the EZ roll lifters.
Although they are Hyd. rollers it shows me the bushing life it there.
Solids have more impact loads to live with but these have never had a lash adjustment in many years of operation.
the original lash was set at .040" but will check the lifters in the next few days to see if they are worthy of replacement roller wheels and a freshen up to get reused.

I think in this day and age of mass produced private label parts there are only so many north american lifter manufactures on the continent to choose from and all the other lifter brands have to get made some where.
But do we really know for sure what company and country they all come from.

The 2 manufactures in Michigan compete for world wide sales between each other but 1 company makes Isky brand roller lifters.
While the other makes them for a lot of others as well but they seem to be more problematic then the original manufacture of the best roller lifters made today :D

Just saying with all the private label stuff out there today and the internet proves that there can be lots of inferior products sold. I see guys buying a $150.00 set of tie bar hyd. roller lifters for a BBf the quality level has to be questioned just on the face of it. They when they have issues we know for sure what QC is even in place [-X
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
stokerboats
Pro
Pro

Post by stokerboats »

bob460 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:04 am
MELWAY wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:34 am

What kind of spring pressures and lift and how long are you running these bush lifters ?
We are always battling needle failure on serious street engines.
Still unsure of bush lifters in long term stop start street race engines
Must be a reason why NASCAR don't use the!!

I'd rather take a chance on the black mamba or evo lifters before bushed lifters.

Bob Book runs needle bearings lifters and never had a fail WHY?............ONE of the baddest small block engine builders going around.
Small blocks don't have the same issues that big blocks have with lifter failure.
bob460
Expert
Expert

Post by bob460 »

stokerboats wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:06 pm
bob460 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:04 am Must be a reason why NASCAR don't use the!!

Small blocks don't have the same issues that big blocks have with lifter failure.
WHY?
stokerboats
Pro
Pro

Post by stokerboats »

Valve angles
GuysMonteSS
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GuysMonteSS »

stokerboats wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:01 pm Valve angles
That would be my guess too.
Guy
'86 Monte SS,513 BBC,AFR heads,Bullet solid roller cam,Doug Nash 4+1 5 speed,Hurst Inline Shifter,Ford 9 inch Rearend.
cv67
Guru
Guru

Post by cv67 »

Would like to hear Cam Kings thoughts on the bushed rollers. Why Bronze in instead of a harder material, is that the fuse so to speak?
bob460
Expert
Expert

Post by bob460 »

cv67 wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:49 pm Would like to hear Cam Kings thoughts on the bushed rollers. Why Bronze in instead of a harder material, is that the fuse so to speak?
I think Camkings lifters are the BAM bushed steel with dlc coating.
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

Bob 460, to answer your WHY question...They are not legal, but i can't tell you why that is. cv67, the "high quality" roller lifters such as Iskenderian, Morel, and a "few" others have bushings that are made of proprietary alloy metal....NOT just bronze. Just like for example, Pankl connecting rods made in Austria. The alloy steel they are made of is very confidential. They cost about 4 k for 8. True quality will ALWAYS demand and deserve a higher price. Mark H. :wink:
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

Cam King also offers steel on steel rollers...no bushings.
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
GuysMonteSS
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GuysMonteSS »

Krooser wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:40 pm Cam King also offers steel on steel rollers...no bushings.
No bushings = needle bearings ???
Guy
'86 Monte SS,513 BBC,AFR heads,Bullet solid roller cam,Doug Nash 4+1 5 speed,Hurst Inline Shifter,Ford 9 inch Rearend.
bob460
Expert
Expert

Post by bob460 »

GuysMonteSS wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:16 am
Krooser wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:40 pm Cam King also offers steel on steel rollers...no bushings.
No bushings = needle bearings ???
Guy
No.........it rides on a wedge of oil so no bushing or needle bearings..............there similar to the black mamba morel lifter.
MELWAY
Guru
Guru

Post by MELWAY »

Anyone have any good success story’s with morel black mamba?
3370lb Sedan 9.89@136MPH 358chevN/A
GuysMonteSS
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GuysMonteSS »

MELWAY wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:55 am Anyone have any good success story’s with morel black mamba?
I would be interested in hearing about the Black Mamba"s as well.
Guy