Plasti-gage OUT OF PRODUCTION

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Re: Plasti-gage OUT OF PRODUCTION

Post by rebelyell »

rebelrouser wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:56 am couple of google searches yielded that Plastigauge is a registered trademark of Plastigauge Ltd., West Sussex, United Kingdom. Plastigauge was introduced to US retail sales in 1948.[1] And it appears they are still in business in the USA.

https://www.plastigaugeusa.com/
Two different spellings, two different companies. Reference the old original (and current) PLASTIGAGE. The spelling is trademarked. Reference trademark search in above post. Currently, the old original and current PlastiGage is currently registered to Mahle (who also owns Clevite).

Marketing & Brand Recognition:
Little doubt the english stuff is probably AOK; but this is akin to a $50 "genuine" Rolox watch versus a $5000 Rolex

Yesterday, TRW group was the big dog of auto parts; today Mahle Clevite is 800 lb gorilla. Sky ain't falling; Mahle-Clevite has your PlastiGage
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

Plastigage was invented and produced by Perfect Circle many years ago. The product is still manufactured by Perfect Circle/MAHLE Aftermarket in Olive Branch, TN. PC/MAHLE packages Plastigage for several other manufacturers such as Sealed Power, etc. It is still available and will be for the forseeable future.
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
gramps

Post by gramps »

So I will ask again, how do you know what you purchased is fresh?
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

gramps wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:31 am So I will ask again, how do you know what you purchased is fresh?
it has that bakery fresh smell. just kidding, but i tend to see where you are coming from. the old stuff i have laying around isnt dated.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

gramps wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:55 am How do you tell if it's fresh, is it dated or have a use by this date?
Because I don't use it much and buy it from a bizy parts place. I'm sure some places it has sat on the shelf longer than the last few times I bought it but that's why I go to a bizy place. Besides my toolbox doesn't have climate control like a parts store, so it sees very cold or gets hot n humid.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
4vpc
Pro
Pro

Post by 4vpc »

gramps wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:31 am So I will ask again, how do you know what you purchased is fresh?
It's not dated because it doesn't matter one iota.
There is no S on the end of RPM.
rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Post by rebelyell »

Compared to fresh, it becomes harder, then brittle, then crumbly.

Dunno, but like most earthly things, it'll probably keep much longer in freezer & sealed airtight.

If you're an occasional user, simply buy a new stick; it's a stupid cheap cross-check.

Mahle's PlastiGage trademark's good for another 5 years so don't buy unless envelope is branded Mahle/Clevite
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

engineguyBill wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:40 pm Plastigage was invented and produced by Perfect Circle many years ago. The product is still manufactured by Perfect Circle/MAHLE Aftermarket in Olive Branch, TN. PC/MAHLE packages Plastigage for several other manufacturers such as Sealed Power, etc. It is still available and will be for the forseeable future.
Here is the patent:

https://patents.google.com/patent/US2486446A/

https://patentimages.storage.googleapis ... 486446.pdf
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

rebelyell wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:32 pm Compared to fresh, it becomes harder, then brittle, then crumbly.

Dunno, but like most earthly things, it'll probably keep much longer in freezer & sealed airtight.

If you're an occasional user, simply buy a new stick; it's a stupid cheap cross-check.

Mahle's PlastiGage trademark's good for another 5 years so don't buy unless envelope is branded Mahle/Clevite
I used to use fine wax wire made by Kerr to make chill vents on investment castings. As the wax ages it becomes more brittle. Jewelers creating custom patterns would also be familiar with this property.

The proximity of the patent to the Second World War suggests the inventor would be familiar with cable drawing compounds and et voilà.

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/pgms/worknoti ... napth.html
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

rebelyell wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:32 pm Compared to fresh, it becomes harder, then brittle, then crumbly.

Plastigage has a fairly long shelf life, but it depends on how it is stored. Recommended to store in a cabinet or box with limited temperature ranges and never in direct sunlight. The package does have a date code on it, but you would need to know the code and I don't remember how to read it now.
Perfect Circle/MAHLE packages Plastigage for many automotive parts and tools outlets such as Sealed Power, Silver Seal, etc., etc. therefore the product you buy from these outlets may be just as fresh, or fresher than the product you buy from Perfect Circle/MAHLE or other manufacturers.
Automotive engine industry is the largest market for Plastigage, however it is also used by NASA, Honeywell, Boeing, Hughes, etc.
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Post by rebelyell »

engineguyBill wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:48 pm

Plastigage has a fairly long shelf life, but it depends on how it is stored. Recommended to store in a cabinet or box with limited temperature ranges and never in direct sunlight. The package does have a date code on it, but you would need to know the code and I don't remember how to read it now.
Perfect Circle/MAHLE packages Plastigage for many automotive parts and tools outlets such as Sealed Power, Silver Seal, etc., etc. therefore the product you buy from these outlets may be just as fresh, or fresher than the product you buy from Perfect Circle/MAHLE or other manufacturers.
Automotive engine industry is the largest market for Plastigage, however it is also used by NASA, Honeywell, Boeing, Hughes, etc.
Bill
Maybe your contacts at PC Mahle Clevite would pass on their date code scheme once more? I'd like to learn & KNOW.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

I did some more searching.

The Teetor family owned Perfect Circle and after graduating from the University of Illinois, Class of 1926, Don Teetor worked at the family firm. Several other family members and researchers there held numerous and sundry patents concerning piston rings and their manufacture. The material suggested in the patent was long used as a lubricant and/or lubricant additive in machining as well as a coating. The Teetor family and Don would have been well acquainted with its various forms including waxes of various melting points/ranges.

One example is: http://cameo.mfa.org/wiki/Halowax%C2%AE

It is notable for its toxicity.

It is worth mentioning that as many technicians had odd habits of chewing on waxes, licking application brushes and so on. This is not conducive to a long life.

It is quite likely that the product has been reformulated. One way to know this is whether it carries a "very healthy" Proposition 65 warning. If it has not and does not, California could have a new revenue stream.
rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Post by rebelyell »

Curious habits extended to "Radium Girls" who painted watch faces with Radium and licked their brushes to maintain a fine tip.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radium_Girls
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

rebelyell wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:01 pm Curious habits extended to "Radium Girls" who painted watch faces with Radium and licked their brushes to maintain a fine tip.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radium_Girls
The stains used to characterize porcelain teeth (to match existing dentition) were often bad-actors:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_i ... c_pigments

I absolutely would not be surprised if Radium was used at some point because of its fluorescence/luminescence; metamerism was a big concern.

https://www.orau.org/ptp/collection/con ... ntures.htm
apm

Post by apm »

I for one would be happy if it dis appeared, I guess its better than not checking at all but if I had a dollar for every time a customer has called to tell me that my machining is way off because the measurements he is getting with plasti gauge says so, to then only bring in and have me measure in front of him with a dial bore gauge and micrometer and its spot on where it should be , they always leave with there head down and tail between there legs.