loading up turbo 350 trans with fluid

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

chevy art
Pro
Pro
loading up turbo 350 trans with fluid

Post by chevy art »

i have a rebuilt turbo 350 that has been sitting for years with no fluid. in car now and ready to go. has an extra deep pan(2 qts.?). how much can i put in there initially before startup(probably holds 10-11 qts total/?). will this initial fill let the fluid get down in any of the parts or does the motor have to run to get the tranny moving the fluid. i think it needs to run to move fluid(just asking). i qt was put in converter when tranny was put in car. any other advice would be appreciated. art
77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Re: loading up turbo 350 trans with fluid

Post by 77cruiser »

Needs to be running to turn the pump. Could start out with 6 quarts. Has to be at operating temp to show correct level.
Jim
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

I think it's something like put 4-6qrt in run it a bit to fill the converter, lines , cooler. Then add to full again, go thru the gears, warm it up and check.

Think I add bout 3-4qrt when I drop a norm size pan on a th350, so I'd imagine with the deep pan 5-6.

What size converter?
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru

Post by rebelrouser »

If I do a fresh overhaul and know everything is dry a turbo 350 will hold 8 quarts before starting. Then I fire it up and most take 10 to 12 total for a full tranny. Main thing is to have enough in it to fill the converter, because after the converter fills the fluid goes to the cooler, and after the cooler it goes to the lube circuit for all the bushings and bearings in the transmission. The reason I fill them with 8 quarts is That fills the case almost all the way up, so it soaks all the clutches and internals. I usually fill and walk away and let the clutches soak up fluid, especially if it is like yours and been sitting for a while. So no dry starts.
If you overfill it will dribble out the vent on the top of the case, but as soon as you fire the engine it will suck it down.
I started rebuilding 350 turbos at a Chevy dealer in 1976, dang I made a lot of money off those transmissions. Still build one when I get asked, which is 2 or 3 a year now.
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

It helps to put a qt. in the converter before you install it
So much to do, so little time...
chevy art
Pro
Pro

Post by chevy art »

rfoll. last sentence in my initial post stated i put a quart of fluid in converter..
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

sorry, didn't see it.
So much to do, so little time...