I keep thinking "What If"..

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

GuysMonteSS
HotPass
HotPass

I keep thinking "What If"..

Post by GuysMonteSS »

Something happens to my BBC Mark IV block ??
It's already bored & honed 0.070 over @ 4.32,and a sonic test shows that there is not enough meat there for another oversize.
But I have some decent pieces in it,a 4.375 inch Callies Compstar crank,Molnar 6.48 inch rods,AFR 315 fully CNC heads with Jesel Sportsman rockers,Trend 7/16 pushrods.
There is a Weiand Stealth intake that has been port patched to the heads,825 Mighty Demon that was worked on by Mark Whitener with a Daytona Sensors ignition and Crane locked out optical distributor and Hooker 2 inch headers.
Lets say that I went to a new 4.50 inch bore block with new pistons and the appropriate cam,would these pieces work together to make a good performing street engine ??
My '86 Monte is just a summer toy,but I do like to "hot dog" it once in a while ..
Guy
'86 Monte SS,513 BBC,AFR heads,Bullet solid roller cam,Doug Nash 4+1 5 speed,Hurst Inline Shifter,Ford 9 inch Rearend.
raynorshine
Expert
Expert

Re: I keep thinking "What If"..

Post by raynorshine »

i'm not sure if there's any benefit pursuing that line of thinking......it could grenade(God forbid) next pass...or live another 30 years... 8)

-it's like asking...."how long is a piece of string?" #-o
Use it up
Wear it out
Eat it all!

-the greatest..."Dale Armstrong"
bobmc

Post by bobmc »

the intake is a limiting factor, more cubes isn't going add substantial hp, might help off idle thru mid range
GuysMonteSS
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GuysMonteSS »

raynorshine wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:09 am i'm not sure if there's any benefit pursuing that line of thinking......it could grenade(God forbid) next pass...or live another 30 years... 8)

-it's like asking...."how long is a piece of string?" #-o
LOL,It's been a long winter...
The wheels just wont stop spinning.
Guy
'86 Monte SS,513 BBC,AFR heads,Bullet solid roller cam,Doug Nash 4+1 5 speed,Hurst Inline Shifter,Ford 9 inch Rearend.
GuysMonteSS
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GuysMonteSS »

bobmc wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:49 am the intake is a limiting factor, more cubes isn't going add substantial hp, might help off idle thru mid range
This is an older "Made In The USA" Weiand Stealth.there's no divider.
Still,probably not as good as a nice single plane would be.
Maybe a spacer and bigger carb would help ??
Guy
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

You were pretty vague. Does "something happens.." mean the bores need some attention? If yes and there's no scope for an overbore but the pistons are OK, you could just clean up the bores and have the pistons built up by Line2Line. https://www.line2linecoatings.com/

PS, formula for the length of a string:
"Let one end be identified as "A" and the mid point as "B".
The length then will be 2AB. -Q.E.D. :)
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

what if.... 632 with a 10-71! 8)
GuysMonteSS
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GuysMonteSS »

MadBill wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:21 pm You were pretty vague. Does "something happens.." mean the bores need some attention? If yes and there's no scope for an overbore but the pistons are OK, you could just clean up the bores and have the pistons built up by Line2Line. https://www.line2linecoatings.com/

PS, formula for the length of a string:
"Let one end be identified as "A" and the mid point as "B".
The length then will be 2AB. -Q.E.D. :)
Lets just say that another roller lifter wheel delaminated from going too long before replacement,like what happened to me a few years ago.
One cylinder is ruined and a built up piston wont be enough.
The only option is another block.
If this was the case,i would want to go to a bigger bore cylinder,a 4.50 inch bore.
With the parts I could possibly re-use,the 4.375 inch crank,6.48 inch con rods,315 AFR heads,which would make a 557 ci engine,how well would these parts work together ??
Guy
GuysMonteSS
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GuysMonteSS »

lefty o wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:27 pm what if.... 632 with a 10-71! 8)
LOL !!!
Guy
bobmc

Post by bobmc »

came across this 598 story when looking for something else https://www.hotrod.com/articles/stock-h ... ubes-work/ it was dual plane intake with 850 carb, peaked at 4700 rpm with open exhaust
GuysMonteSS
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GuysMonteSS »

bobmc wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:43 pm came across this 598 story when looking for something else https://www.hotrod.com/articles/stock-h ... ubes-work/ it was dual plane intake with 850 carb, peaked at 4700 rpm with open exhaust
Interesting read
Thanks !!
Guy
raynorshine
Expert
Expert

Post by raynorshine »

-this is more like it =D> that's the kind of winning attitude i'm talking about
Use it up
Wear it out
Eat it all!

-the greatest..."Dale Armstrong"
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

raynorshine wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:38 pm
-this is more like it =D> that's the kind of winning attitude i'm talking about
go big or go home!! :wink:
bob460
Expert
Expert

Post by bob460 »

GuysMonteSS wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:03 pm Something happens to my BBC Mark IV block ??
It's already bored & honed 0.070 over @ 4.32,and a sonic test shows that there is not enough meat there for another oversize.
But I have some decent pieces in it,a 4.375 inch Callies Compstar crank,Molnar 6.48 inch rods,AFR 315 fully CNC heads with Jesel Sportsman rockers,Trend 7/16 pushrods.
There is a Weiand Stealth intake that has been port patched to the heads,825 Mighty Demon that was worked on by Mark Whitener with a Daytona Sensors ignition and Crane locked out optical distributor and Hooker 2 inch headers.
Lets say that I went to a new 4.50 inch bore block with new pistons and the appropriate cam,would these pieces work together to make a good performing street engine ??
My '86 Monte is just a summer toy,but I do like to "hot dog" it once in a while ..
Guy
What HP & TQ did this combo make?
GuysMonteSS
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GuysMonteSS »

bob460 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:09 pm
What HP & TQ did this combo make?
655 HP @ 6100 RPM
628 Ft.lbs @ 5100 RPM
Guy