Big block road race build 572

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

richiev88

Re: Big block road race build 572

Post by richiev88 »

mohrperformance wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:27 pm DV46 is six speed sequential designed for Dodge Viper V10. Very Big gears and shafts for big motor. At $24k also big $. Had one in an ex grand am tube corvette with 500hp ls6 no clutch up and down shifts 4 years racing only apart once.
OK, we can only run 4 or 5 speed, some run a hollinger 5 speed, but they are $$. Most are running nascar 4 speed box. They seem to last well, I know you used to be able to get emco gears set for them, but the factor deal lasts well for us. Even the big block powered cars get good life if they are not abused
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

Great video Hoffman900, those cars look pretty darn fast, dang that will give a person the fever to try it !! Mark H. BTW how many seconds off of a Cup Car lap ? Appx.
richiev88

Post by richiev88 »

hoffman900 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:30 pm Out of curiosity, how much do your lap times vary over the course of a race? Do your lap times fall off at the end? How about your competitors?

It seems in a class like this, saving some power, if they can fix how the tires fall off, could be worth more over a race distance. That said, I know you're going to do what you want, so I agree with softening the torque curve a bit.

A family friend ran a 289 Cobra in SCCA BP competition in 1969-1970. He set several lap records, 2x Div Champ, finished 2nd at the Nat'l Championship to a new 1969 Corvette. His lap records were often faster than the big-block Cobras and Corvettes at the time. Part of that is driver, but a big part was the small block cars just handled better. Photos here: http://siouxautomobiles.com/csx2009

In vintage racing here, the big block cars are only marginally faster despite having several hundred HP more.

I guess the big block cars been iron block will have a handling disadvantage despite having a hp advantage, suppose it balances things out

Good example here. Vintage Trans Am 1969 Camaro. The two Corvettes in front are 427ci cars (to the 302 in the Camaro):

Boss 302 just behind the camera car:

Bill-C on here is involved with those engines from that shop.
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

swampbuggy wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:19 pm Great video Hoffman900, those cars look pretty darn fast, dang that will give a person the fever to try it !! Mark H. BTW how many seconds off of a Cup Car lap ? Appx.
At Watkins Glen short course, about 14 seconds a lap slower. Granted, fast amateurs are still not world class, so there is some in the driving for sure, but Cup cars are faster than most realize.
-Bob
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

:) =D>
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

14 seconds a lap over a minute and a half lap is still a lot, but shows you how far both types are developed.

Watkins Glen (Short Course):

SVRA Vintage Trans Am Boss 302 Mustang:

NASCAR:

Start them at the same point of the track to see the difference.
-Bob
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

Yes Hoffman i can see real quick there is a big difference, the gap got wider in a hurry. Thanks for posting that, Mark H. :D
richiev88

Post by richiev88 »

Hi<
Update to my original Big block road race post.
Finally tuned and test, and had a race meeting.
Well, I received a LOT of negative feed back for taking this route in my road race application.
I can say its that this engine is fantastic to drive, loads of power and torque, totally drivable, so much fun.
Yes you need to be mindful with the throttle, but very controllable
We spend quite a bit of time on the chassis Dyno getting the torque curve nice and smooth.
We ended up with 700 rear wheel hp at 6400rpm on the dyno we used. There is plenty more power left in the mix with more RPM and tune, but this is loads for me at this stage.
I bought a custom Pro Systems carb, 4150, works very wel, good price and great communication!!
If you were considering this route, do it !!