Magnetic crack detection fluid..

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

gn69z28
Pro
Pro
Magnetic crack detection fluid..

Post by gn69z28 »

We have a magnaflux machine that doesn't get used very often but the fluid evaporates. Is it normal for this to happen? What is the best fluid to use and where to get it. The last time we got some it came from Goodson.
canuc
Re: Magnetic crack detection fluid..

Post by canuc »

I can't help you get the magnaflux product but I worked in a shop with a large magnaflux test bench and they would replenish with a mix of atf and solvent and agitate the sump to suspend the mag particles in the carrier fluid . They would only add the magnaflux maybe every other time as most of the loss was like you say from evaporation .
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

A local diesel shop I know uses solvent/varsol to mix the mag particulate with.
They keep it in a sealed drum when not in use to avoid the evaporation issues of it sitting in the machine.
They just rock the drum to stir up the particles and have a pump to transfer it back and fourth when in use.
The only issue is carry off after checking for cracks and residual left in the machine but that's about all the loss they had
maybe 5 gal/year total when used lots.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

I think it will "work" fine with any light petroleum oil/solvent.

So what your worried about is everything else, such as... breathing the vapors, fire danger, evaporating too fast or too slow, skin exposure, ect.
So....it's going to be in most cases "stoddard solvent" aka "safety solvent"
Which as far as I know is all basically the same kind of stuff, tho it goes by many names, but there might be better or worse grades of it.

For a time I became sensitized to it, so I switched to WD-40 and that did ok.

I'd be interested to know more... if YOu know, but, I get the feeling......
Use in a well ventilated area when you DO want it to evaporate, and "Put a lid on it" when you don't, may be the genius solution.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

They used a solvent supplied by safety clean for their parts washer. It is a water based solvent but it would still evaporate over time. Their solvent has a green colour to it so its similar to the particulate in suspension in it.
But it does not rust up the surfaces which was the main reason they said they switched to it.

But they do pump it out when done into a sealed drum to reduce loss other then carry off when a part is checked and removed to be cleaned
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors