General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

cv67
Guru
Guru

6.0 Silverado tq build

Post by cv67 »

Getting closer to painting this 02 thats been sitting for years. Has 180k on it
While it seems to run ok if means are still there I want to put together an emissions legal 6.0 for this

Was thinking 9.5:1
Cam around 210??@050 conservative ramp, maybe no more than 530 lift, wide lsa just strong low/midrange for daily driving and towing my Camino to the track.
Can use the stock heads or would these 5.3 heads be a choice? Im ok with a die grinder just a good valve job ck guides, bowl work etc nothing too crazy
ported the stock intake and tb...not much there but hey why not.

Not sure about CARB shortys, is there a good GM ex manifold I can use? Going to keep cats on it.
Eventually a larger Y pipe and 3" main thats about it.

What could I expect from this....stock converter work ok? I have stock tire size 3.73
I dont want a cammed up truck/hot rod, rather the 1500 GM shoulda built.

my truck came with 285?HP and 3xx tq. Was hoping for closer to 400hp and over 400tq
Advice?

They dont use a sniffer with smog, just a visual and plug in to ck for codes.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Re: 6.0 Silverado tq build

Post by ProPower engines »

What about just a straight reprogram of the ECUÉ
That should get you a bunch of extra power. Maybe an injector upgrade as well.
But we have seen some decent results from just some timing and fuel system changes on bone stock engines guys are swapping into other projects.
But regardless you need to work with a good tuner that knows his shit and goes in baby steps not a big wack all at one time.
Seen too many guys loose an otherwise decent stock engine because the tune was to aggressive in places where it should not have been and no further thought was put into getting the fuel curve correct [-X
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

cv67 wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:00 am an emissions legal 6.0 . . . strong low/midrange for daily driving and towing. . .Going to keep cats on it. . . . .I dont want a cammed up truck/hot rod, rather the 1500 GM shoulda built. my truck came with 285?HP and 3xx tq. Was hoping for closer to 400hp and over 400tq. Advice?
Wish there was a magic bean, but threads such as this assume GM engineers are incompetent; there's another 40% more horsepower to be had with just a few low-buck changes while staying emissions legal and towing reliably?
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

Exhaust system upgrades as well as some fuel injectors and fuel pressure can yield another 100 from an other wise stock engine as long as the tuner has his stuff together.
I have seen several would be tuner shops that claim to be able to do this but they are doing it through a remote setup with a guy that can't see the vehicle and guessing what to alter from 1000 miles away.And using a hand held tuner.

The piggy back type ECU is more useful for this and compares in cost to the hand held but the actual operating parameters are being changed not just using a small increase in some of the stock parameters.

But the ad on systems are much better to adjust and can go further then an off the shelf palm pilot type.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
cv67
Guru
Guru

Post by cv67 »

Plan on doing on in house tune, matter of finding the right place.
Want an oem type tune, know better than to be lazy or cheap out on that part. No dyno/internet hero will touch this thing...
Was gonna check with Westech to see if they do tuning on these, they are an hour away

I swore Id never rebuild the same CI again, tq comes with sheer size, bummer this bore is so puny or Id stroke it. I dont care about mpg
Fighting the urge to dump this and do a standard cab but Im tall and need the room
jeff swisher
Guru
Guru

Post by jeff swisher »

I would find the smaller chamber heads and work them over.
I would also not want a cam on a wide LSA if I wanted lowend and mid range TQ.
I would choose a cam that closed the intake valve earlier than my current cam so i could get the cranking pressures up.

If you are not going bigger on cubes then you need to go higher on compression to get what you are after.

I still run old school Gen 1 SBC stuff but many friends have the LS platform.
I got to play with one 6.0 LQ9 and that is the only LS that has impressed me so far.

I ported his heads and roughed up the intake runners. Took his stock cam to the Local cam grinder and he stuck the old LT4 Hot cam grind on it .
That was with a 1.5 rocker 218-228 @ .050 and .492" lift on a 112 LSA.
Had this LQ 9 cam ground on a 109LSA and it makes more cranking pressure than the stock cam.

He had a little bit of a traction issue before in his 4200lb mid 70's chevy long bed with the stock LQ9 with a carb and after the head work and cam change the thing will blow the tires off at about any speed in first gear.

Get some compression in that engine. Your thought on the cam is good on the duration but I would not want a wide LSA .
cv67
Guru
Guru

Post by cv67 »

Dont even know what cam I want...I dont see this ever hitting the fuel cutoff at 5800 it will spit the trans out
Maybe lowering the curve a bit is good? Gotta idle smooth have a gentle ramp and pass smog though thats a must.
Dont want a hint of lope, have to get a bigger converter etc. For once I want something that has true "manners"
jeff swisher
Guru
Guru

Post by jeff swisher »

You can read dyno comparisons for days on the LS.
Here is a cam swap and shows TQ gained and lost with different cams.
Click on show all under the specs of each one.
https://www.hotrod.com/articles/ls-cam-test-comparison/

Here is a head test that will make you think differently about heads.
https://www.hotrod.com/articles/surpris ... head-test/

Take that information and run with it.
If I was building an LS for pulling I would seriously look at the 706 heads.
I have one here that i may port soon and see what kind of airflow I get from it.
77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Post by 77cruiser »

Small turbo.
Jim
tt 383
Expert
Expert

Post by tt 383 »

jeff swisher wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:59 am You can read dyno comparisons for days on the LS.
Here is a cam swap and shows TQ gained and lost with different cams.
Click on show all under the specs of each one.
https://www.hotrod.com/articles/ls-cam-test-comparison/

Here is a head test that will make you think differently about heads.
https://www.hotrod.com/articles/surpris ... head-test/

Take that information and run with it.
If I was building an LS for pulling I would seriously look at the 706 heads.
I have one here that i may port soon and see what kind of airflow I get from it.
I wouldn’t think twice about that crane 210/218. Something similar tweaked a bit would be good too, or Comp has a drop in cam for ls6 springs fairly close too. Anything that loses a few hp/tq that low and hits almost 90 more hp get my vote.

I wish someone would do a supercharger/turbo build with this cam but everyone always leapfrogs to 22x/23x
Last edited by tt 383 on Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
HDBD
Expert
Expert

Post by HDBD »

Looks like a fun project. I always have been able to use factory parts mixed and matched with a little aftermarket to get pickups work well. Looks like the hot ticket would be the crane 210 cam and the 5.3 heads. Would add compression and still remain safe. Plenty of idle vacuum and smooth idle. I would just do a CC and good valve job and pockets cleaned up on the 5.3 heads. That and a tune even with the stock manifolds would be a big improvement. I do not prefer headers of any kind on a truck I will be pulling with, from personal experience. I know the downside. I take that. I also know the upside, not in a gas station in bumFk trying to change gaskets on a red hot motor.
tt 383
Expert
Expert

Post by tt 383 »

77cruiser wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:44 am Small turbo.
Honestly this. Throw in new rings, get a Huron Speed or ON3 kit and a tc76 or 78. It’s not a great matched turbo for all out power and small for a 6.0 but for dd, response and reasonable power (6-700 whp) they are probably one of the better units. Or get a TVS/Whipple/Maggie supercharger kit, pretty sure someone has one for cathedral heads, could probably just swap to L92/Ls3 heads for one of the kits for the newer trucks maybe

You might look into swapping to the TBSS intake as well. I don’t believe it loses anything over the factory truck intake and honestly it’s not a horrible intake, but It fattens up the middle and carries it further.
Racer71
Pro
Pro

Post by Racer71 »

Turbo would be easy I’ve done several on the trucks, the ON3 kit is a pos, muffler shop can do nicer work than the one I installed for what you pay for them. Texas speed has some nice truck cams that work well with the truck Intake. Freshen it up get a decent cam do a little headwork. These engines are so easy to get power from. If you’re gonna boost it open the ring gaps a touch.
HDBD
Expert
Expert

Post by HDBD »

A turbo has its place on a toy. A lighter pickup used for fun. If towing any weight for a serious amount of time the whole requirement changes. The heat generated just by near wide open throttle for extended pulls up hills just murder a boosted small V8 gas engine.
bobmc

Post by bobmc »

how do you hide a turbocharger so the emission tester doesn't see it?