Virtual NASCAR

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Dave Koehler
Vendor

Virtual NASCAR

Post by Dave Koehler »

Probably not the right forum for this.
I just happened to have FS2 on and there is a virtual Nascar race going on.
Pretty cool thing. Real drivers playing from their respective homes.
This technology has really come a long way.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
dannobee
Expert
Expert
Re: Virtual NASCAR

Post by dannobee »

Last year at the 24hrs LeMans, winning the online virtual race paid MORE than winning the actual race. WTF? We must be doing something wrong.
digger
Guru
Guru

Post by digger »

dannobee wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:08 pm Last year at the 24hrs LeMans, winning the online virtual race paid MORE than winning the actual race. WTF? We must be doing something wrong.
its still lame though
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

It is still better than nothing ! Mark H. :wink:
rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Post by rebelyell »

better than nuthin' ? Well, in some sense maybe, but let's call a spade a spade:
raceturbation
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

Since NASCAR changed their racing format to "stage" racing, most people i talk to concerning NASCAR racing say.....i don't like it, they should have left it alone. Each and every one of us have a right to voice our opinion and that is great. With the last sentence fresh on the mind, here is my opinion, if a person says they are not watching the racing because of the stages, i guess they liked watching a lot of races where one car runs off and hides ?? Come on give me a break !!! Racing is about the excitement of close racing, rubbing, passing and so forth....correct??? Anybody that would use the stage racing as a reason NOT to watch, just did not want to watch anyway. As for the virtual racing thing, no it ain't like the real thing but it IS in my opinion better than nothing, so i will watch the virtual racing and support the sponsors of it, because i love NASCAR and want to see it stay around !! My 2 cents, Mark J. Helms :wink:
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

I rem seeing maybe a decade ago they were using sims or games to kinda practice in the off season. So I imagine it's something they already kinda had set up.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
Protech Racing

Post by Protech Racing »

My fastest customers run at least an hr on the sim before hitting the track . The best guys are also good on the sim.
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

Sims have been used for decades, but their use in the past 5-8 years has really exploded, especially as you have a generation of racing drivers who grew up on them. Using LIDAR scanning and pretty advanced computing, data acquisition, abd the physics models are really advanced, the teams are now using them to virtual test components on the cars, due to most professional series having testing restrictions (NASCAR, Indy Car, Formula One). They also do test and develop fuel mileage and race strategies, etc.

Just like with chassis, engines, etc. They can do A LOT of virtual testing and development before the car ever rolls out and between events.

As MIke pointed out, usually the best guys are fast on both. Max Verstappen has been dominating a bunch of ESports series while everything is shut down. Lando Norris has been right there with him.

A friend of mine, using a sim rig in his basement was able to show up to new tracks and be at (or set) the lap record within his first weekend there. In a case of one new track, that someone had built a virtual model of, he was SECONDS ahead of his nearest competitor in the first session, due to running lots of virtual laps.

Here is BMW's DTM rig. They use a commercial sim for the graphics, but developed their own physics model:
-Bob
TEROL

Post by TEROL »

I guess that during these trying times anything that helps you keep your head on straight is a big plus. Having said that I sure miss the days of the non cookie culler bodies, big block engines, and drivers with a genuine personality.
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

Yep, those were the things that helped NASCAR grow fast and people ate it up, me included. Mark H.
Chris_Hamilton
Pro
Pro

Post by Chris_Hamilton »

Personally I enjoyed Sim Racing when I did it. Was in a league for several years and had a lot of fun and frustration doing it. Made some good friends from around the world as well because of it. It's something that is much better to participate in than watch. When you are actually doing it, it is very immersive and feels very much like the real thing. Every track in the world both past and present have been reproduced in one or the other of the various sims out there. Racing at the Nurburgring (Nordschleife) in GPL, rFactor, and GTR2 was some of the most fun I had with Sims.

Greger Huttu is a legend in the SIm Racing Community. Unbelievable skill level in every Sim since the beginning with Grand Prix Legends.

High quality metal, body and paint work
http://www.spiuserforum.com/index.php?t ... inia.9030/
rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Post by rebelyell »

Now that lame virtual racing has cost the career of a very good driver, Kyle Larson. Because Larson uttered a racial slur over the malfunctioning telecom system while trying to communicate w/his white "virtual" spotter. Larson made a social blunder but did not commit any crime.

kinda like when they arrested a grade-schooler when a butter knife was discovered in his bag lunch.
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

rebelyell wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:49 pm Now that lame virtual racing has cost the career of a very good driver, Kyle Larson. Because Larson uttered a racial slur over the malfunctioning telecom system while trying to communicate w/his white "virtual" spotter. Larson made a social blunder but did not commit any crime.

kinda like when they arrested a grade-schooler when a butter knife was discovered in his bag lunch.
Nice spin. Kyle ruined his own career by being a dumbass.
-Bob
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

Yep, its like i said in another thread, you can't buy the part between a mans ears. Mark